Another charge question

Joe Simon

Does this become worth the skill points later in the game? I put a point in it and it hardly seems worth it, and I don't really find myself using it.

Claytopia

It all comes down to your style of play.

I've read here it is good for clearing traps and closing or escaping mobs.

I personally don't use it.

Whirlwind clears mobs nicely enough and most traps can be avoided.

VDX_360

Staff member
I vouch for Charge as a skill. Whirlwind is popular but I lean towards Charge being the more useful of the two skills. Player preference matters a lot so there's no real objective answer to which is the better of the two skills.

The real difference is that Charge seems to be more useful against one or two enemies due to the higher damage and straight line of attack (have to line enemies up to hit lot of them). Whirlwind is more useful when a character is surrounded by five or more enemies as it hits all enemies and requires less effort to aim, so to speak.

Charge also moves the character. Thus when trying to escape being mobbed, Charge breakthrough the mob. Charge can also serve as a small boost in speed when trying to outrun an enemy or close the gap to enemies. Charge can also move a character across traps--useful when a trap is detected that blocks the path (bridge, narrow point etc).

Charge also requires 7 Skill points to max, compared to Whirlwind requiring 9 skill points to max.

Attachments

• Charge_vs_Whirlwind.jpg
    Charge_vs_Whirlwind.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 641

Kuratha

Staff member
I quite enjoy using charge for many of the reasons already said but I'd like to add one more: after I've charged through an enemy or two, my companion or I gets a flanking bonus.

The mob turns to face me (usually) and if the dps output is equal between my companion and I (especially when facing bosses), the mob will turn back and forth between the hits taking a flanking bonus attack from each of us.

VDX_360

Staff member
Charging through an enemy, or group, to force a flank situation between your companion and you is helpful. But, sometimes an enemy can get hit you while you're charging, resulting in a flanking bonus for them (more damage on you).

Charging through enemies is also a good way to attack the protected healers quicker.

Charge also allows escaping a gas cloud quicker, or other damage-per-second area.

Downside of Charge is that if your facing the wrong way, easy to do in a group fight, you end up not hitting anyone.

Claytopia

With Whirlwind the fact it gets everyone around you together with the knock back is great against mobs.

A mid level mob like the hobgoblins in the Xialdar Cave even trolls and Legionaries are one hit kills add to that the stun chance and its a winner for my style which is a 2Handed strength max warrior.

I don't charge ranged attackers I zig zag I also walk around traps.

Just choose the skill that compliments your style of play.