How to improve my DPS against ghosts?

Othranc

Morning

Ive been playing casually for a couple of weeks now and have to say i absolutely love the game!

Ive only reached lvl 12 as a 2handed warrior but ive noticed that my dps againsts most mobs is reasonable however ive noticed that againats ghost mobs its very lacking. (Vengful wraiths and the like).

Is there anything i can do to improve my dps output againsts ghosts?

Thanks in advance

Othranc

Mod note: tittle changed to better reflect post

Zeekoslav

Re: Probably a very simple question but will ask it anyway

Electric or holy bonus damage will help you. Also weapon trait banishing is helpful.

Visit wiki page for more help, you can find weaknesses of each enemy.

Sounkeng

Quick correction. Banishing doesn't help against ghosts or undead. However Holy does.

The thing about Vengeful Wraiths is that they have an extremely high "armor" so normal damage doesn't effect them that much. A few damage types that are rather effective, shock, cold, fire, and spirit isn't too bad either. You can look all for this (and much more) on the wiki

Hint: follow some of my links, they should shed a great deal of light on this/these topics

VDX_360

Staff member

Take this. It's dangerous to go alone.
http://www.exiledkingdoms.com/wiki/inde ... =Main_Page
Sounkeng also embedded direct links to the relevant portions of the Wiki.

Vengeful Wraiths are designed to be pretty tough, and are a notch above standard Wraiths. In addition to having elemental damage to hurt them, you can also use a potion to increase damage when fighting the bigger of the groups to help over come their higher physical defense. Also, having strong resistance to death elemental helps. Various gear, rings and potions can help increase Death Resistance.

Some players keep a complete Tolassian armor set to wear when going to Wraith locations (~40 death resistance). Toss in a few Death Ward Rings (30 death resistance each), and you'll have about 100 Death resistance, likely a little more through trait bonuses or misc additions from other equipment. 100 Death resistance death reduces incoming death damage by about 75%.

Othranc

Thanks for all the advise guys, follow up question then, would you sacrifice armour and hp items for death resist when you intend on fighting wraiths or similar mobs?

Obviously there needs to be an element of balance but is the correct resist gear for an encounter likely to be the make or break of it?

Othranc

Atomos

I'd definitely give up on some armor to improve resistance if the enemies use that a lot, be it death, or shock. Armor doesn't have that much impact on character toughness, and in some cases you can make a setup, that has both good armor and resistances. ;) Simply collect powerful equipment that catches your eye.

MikeB

Staff member
Loreseeker
Othranc":3qexkko2 said:
Thanks for all the advise guys, follow up question then, would you sacrifice armour and hp items for death resist when you intend on fighting wraiths or similar mobs?
Ghosts, Wraiths, and Vengeful Wraiths deal no normal damage (against which armor would be helpful), but death damage only. Thus, your armor becomes completely irrelevant when fighting these mobs. So I would say yes, you can sacrifice some of your armor in favor of death resistance.

Of course, when there are also other types of enemies around, some balance is needed. Or you sacrifice some inventory slots and carry different kinds of armor with you, switching between items as needed during combat.

VDX_360

Staff member
Armor: physical damage only, with ZERO help to any element damage (fire, death etc).
Check your combat log to see who much damage you are taking from physical attacks, death, fire, etc. Adjust accordingly.

One option, which is cumbersome, is to have a balanced approach AND to carry a complete suit of elemental specific armor (body, feet, head, etc). Before the Bag of Holding was introduced, the extra equipment really hurt one's ability to pick up new loot, but with the Bag of Holding, one has enough inventory to carry the extra equipment.

It would be insane to swap out gear as you alternated between ghosts and non-ghosts but some players have swapped out gear before certain wraith ambushes or heavy death dealing mini-bosses.

I prefer just to use one set of death focused equipment though the entire dungeon, with and toss in a few resistance potions as needed for certain fights.

VDX_360

Staff member
VDX_360":1kfmqot5 said:
Armor: physical damage only, with ZERO help to any element damage (fire, death etc).
Check your combat log to see how much damage you are taking from physical attacks, death, fire, etc. Adjust accordingly.

One option, which is cumbersome, is to have a balanced approach AND to carry a complete suit of elemental specific armor (body, feet, head, etc). Before the Bag of Holding was introduced, the extra equipment really hurt one's ability to pick up new loot, but with the Bag of Holding, one has enough inventory to carry the extra equipment.

It would be insane to swap out gear every-other-fight as you alternated between ghosts and non-ghosts but some players have swapped out gear before certain wraith ambushes or heavy death dealing mini-bosses.

I prefer just to use one set of death focused equipment though the entire dungeon, with and toss in a few resistance potions as needed for certain fights.