EK community, hello!

brissenden

Translator
Haven't played EK since update 1.0.1024. Hi guys, hi David! Nice to see you all healthy and wealthy! A quick reminder for the prodigal son: is the mage class ready? Have clerics been rebalanced? Thanks.

P.S. Reporting about a copy of EK in google play, «flare: bring diablo II back». David, is it your project?

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Hello, answering the later first: no, they use some of the same open assets. Other than some of the graphics, it has nothing in common with Exiled Kingdoms.

Welcome back, mage is fine and balanced or so people say :D

Sylvaelion

Funny enough, I'd never heard of this game, till while browsing the Play Store, I stumbled across Flare. The very first review is a negative one about the game that states the user "prefers Exiled Kingdoms" which made me Google EK. Now I'm a very satisfied EK customer. So it actually works in David's favor, hah. (Also, the bulk of that game's (Flare: bring back Diablo 2) reviews are negative, so I never even contemplated it.)

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Sylvaelion":2zwu895h said:
Funny enough, I'd never heard of this game, till while browsing the Play Store, I stumbled across Flare. The very first review is a negative one about the game that states the user "prefers Exiled Kingdoms" which made me Google EK. Now I'm a very satisfied EK customer. So it actually works in David's favor, hah. (Also, the bulk of that game's (Flare: bring back Diablo 2) reviews are negative, so I never even contemplated it.)

That game is not doing anything illegal, but... I find it far from exemplary. They have just taken the opensource code from Flare, the opensource empyrean Campaign (kind of the "sample" content created by Flare team) and then put ads on it and uploaded it to Play Store. Sure some work is involved, but 99% of what you play comes from other people's effort. At least they should have created their own unique world and content.

Exiled Kingdoms is an entirely different case. I helped out the Flare project as a way to say thanks and to give Flare more impulse, even commissioned the Flare main developer some more stuff I needed, and he added it to the Flare assets for everyone else to use, which is great. And aside from 50% of the assets, everything else in EK is entirely original: game system, source code, content design, world, writing, and many assets added later.

On the other hand, maybe that developer will evolve the game into something different given time, and I sincerely do hope he does and succeeds, this is a harsh and competitive market and we all make mistakes.