kill or not minotaur king?

kash

hi guys i just killed the underking, but i feel tempted to kill the king and lot both of his cape and axe aswell.. btw i am afraid of losing the teleport on new garaand, idk how much this can affect me later on game

whats ur opinion

Duck123

Loreseeker
I dont think you don’t lose the teleport to New Garand, that is just in the maze and not connected to the Minotaur king

Duck123

Loreseeker
Also I doubt it will affect the game later, except for any quests you do in the maze

VDX_360

Staff member
1) Killing the Minotaur King does NOT impact use of the teleport pillar.

2) Killing the Minotaur King BEFORE starting, or completing, the other minotaur quests, can make those quest impossible to complete (fail, or limbo state).

3) Because of the items in the Arc, there's a limited long term benefit of killing the King just for his cloak AND axe. Gear management wise, you could give yourself the cloak for the STR bonus and than an agility boosting belt (or other trait). But, realistically, you might end up giving the clock to your companion to compliment their trait belt. Obviously, a lot depends on player choice, and equipment goals.

4) The People for the Ethical Treatement of Minotaurs (PETM) frown on killing allied minotaurs. While there's no predicted long term penalty, there's a a chance having the King on your side (and alive!) might impact options in the arena, or in the very, very, very late game stuff to be added sometime in vague future. That's a lot of if's and maybes there.

Comrey

Translator
I killed him and the only thing I'm salty about is having the quest stuck in my inventory, lol. In retrospect I should have let him live, to be honest. My logic was that I needed the crown for the main quest (INT boost), but I needed the axe to survive the Ark (and in general I also wanted a better weapon ASAP), and I couldn't have both of them at the same time since getting the axe would mean no crown, keeping the crown would mean no axe. So I killed him. But I only killed him after getting the ring from the minotaur seer or whatever she is. And then I killed her too, and got a really nice necklace for Hirge.

Short-term it was great, crown did what it was supposed to do, necklace worked great with Hirge, axe really helped out in the Ark especially since that damn maul didn't drop until the very end (as if to spite me, lol). Long-term though, it's not that good given how I now have a crown I don't need and a cloak I don't need, a better necklace for Hirge rewarded at the end of the main quest, and a quest in my journal that I can't complete. I guess Grissenda can have the cloak, and a future mage companion the crown. So yeah, sitting right now in my position I can say that "gee I wish I hadn't killed that goddamn king", but honestly, the rewards I got right there and then for killing him probably made my next 10 hours and most of the Ark much easier.

In the end it boils down to a choice. If you actually need the cloak and the crown even after the main quest then I'd say just kill him. If you don't think you do, then it's up to you whether or not you want to have an axe now or later.

Duck123

Loreseeker
The cloak is basically useless after you beat the ark, and the axe isn’t the best weapon after the ark, so basically the only good thing is the crown and you can get intellect 1 things so I wouldn’t kill the king

Comrey

Translator
I disagree. I find the axe to be better than both the mallet and the Nanocarbon Sword due to the increased crit chance and attack speed (and the fact that the sword is one-handed). Unless you're constantly carrying around 300 batteries and go back to refill once in a while, the axe outperforms the Pneumatic Mallet, and even when you do carry batteries with you the difference is marginal. I only use the Mallet at the Ark given how it shuts down robots.

With that said though, you don't need to kill the king to get the axe, and the cape and crown are rather lackluster after finishing the Ark.

Andre27

Loreseeker
Personally I dont think the axe seems all that great for anything other than the very start of the ark before you get anything good.

Pneumatic Mallet is just better. Against anything resistant to shock or against outsiders the Adamantite Greatsword is better. And the Maul of Terror is pretty much the Adamantite Greatsword but can be used by Clerics.

Also you can't really compare one handed weapons against two handed weapons, they're used in completly different builds and aren't something you generally just switch around.

Asian_Eeyeez

Well reading this makes me realise that I made a choice worse than any of you guys.
I chose a Rouge Main so I cant use Mauls at all and the Crown is useless to me really except if I give the items to my companions, but they die too easily anyways...

Asian_Eeyeez

Well reading this makes me realise that I made a choice worse than any of you guys.
I chose a Rouge Main so I cant use Mauls at all and the Crown is useless to me really except if I give the items to my companions, but they die too easily anyways...
But to be fair, I bought the full game after almost beating the full Free Demo so I only had a choice between Knight or Rouge and I thought Rouges would have like duel blades and fast att speed or something