Wand/Offhand vs Staff

1337Pwnzor

So I just started playing the mage class, and I'm split between the two styles. The damage boost on staves is inviting, but the knockback on wands is good for survivability since most mobs here are melee attackers and the knockback helps. Which has a better endgame potential?

Emeus

Knockback doesn't help too much when fighting some mobility mobs, but combine with advanced mage barrier, and a buckler(you can buy a good one in Friguld) your survivability will be greatly improved, and since wand skill is not tied to INT, your trait points are quite flexible to spend.

Staff deals good damage, the slow effect helps in some situations(mostly when your companion is down), and it has more impact in early game, if you want big damage, go staff.

Emeus

Go staff, staff is always better than wand in early game, wand build only starting to get good in mid game, the place you can buy a good buckler is a hell of trip too~

And since respec skills and traits are seperated, I say just stick to one to save you some coins.

p4ran0id

Staff member
I prefer Staff, you have to avoid close range battle but you have higher damage (glass Canon)
With ward you have better resistance, but less damage.

You better concentrate on one. But you can reset your skills if you want to change.

1337Pwnzor

What levels are considered "mid game"? Am currently lvl10, can handle Jabal Hills and nearby areas with Grissenda. Wand user right now.

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
Well, this could be considered as higher lower levels, or, lower middle levels. :D

Of course, depending on your play style, quests done etc.

1337Pwnzor

p4ran0id":7zi5msjh said:
I prefer Staff, you have to avoid close range battle but you have higher damage (glass Canon)
With ward you have better resistance, but less damage.

You better concentrate on one. But you can reset your skills if you want to change.

Damn, so it's a matter of higher attack speed vs higher on-hit damage. Are the arcane elemental staves worth it? Or stick to non-arcane stuff?

p4ran0id

Staff member