3 rings of the Star Traveller ... Ark RNG

A hah, crit is best only for melee rogues, up to 18. The best way before Ark is to take Poisoner and magical training, then respec to body development and bloodlust

Owns

Loreseeker
VDX_360":3ocpm4qt said:
... how many times in total have you ran the Ark....
I ran it more than twice, probably around 10 times or so, but I was showing those specific drops that came from only 2 runs. But anyway that's not important right now. Definitely, there is not enough of a sample size to draw any conclusions, and I already said this in my first reply to the post. The point of this post was to see if other people had a similar experience with the "repetitiveness" behavior I was seeing. The reason I made that comment about people missing my point is that it seemed like some of the replies weren't addressing the "repetitiveness" observation, at least that how it sounded to me.

But really since David has already replied that there's no issue then I don't see a need for continuing this discussion. Randomness is truly an interesting concept and can often lead to astounding and unexpected results, but it's also true that many (most) popular rng's are flawed and biased. For a gaming application though, this is either inconsequential, or the flaws might not even manifest depending on how many random numbers the game pulls and how it does so. If anyone's interested, here's a link to an easy-to-read rundown on good vs bad rng's out there and good seeding practices. SAS, Excel, Visual Basic, Java, C rand(), are a few examples of flawed rng's that are commonly used. (But again, depending on the application they might be good enough for the purpose). For more advanced articles, read L'Ecuyer's work and some other authors he discusses.

p4ran0id

Staff member
I agree with owns, the discussion is over, but if you like to discuss about the RNG gods, keep going :lol:

VDX_360

Staff member
Owns":2glmewql said:
... The point of this post was to see if other people had a similar experience with the "repetitiveness" behavior...

This is a point worth keeping in mind. I'd like the forum to be open enough to keep an eye out for unexpected issues. A hiccup isn't expected, but let's see what people have to say?

Note: the most common "complaint" about repeating drops is when players repeatedly reload from a save to farm tombs from a lich and keep getting the same thing. That tactic was considered an exploit (see forum rules) and the game was amended to prevent that very tactic. So THAT repeating is by design.

Owns":2glmewql said:
For more advanced.....
There's an endless supply of deeper review for trying to mimic true randomness (which is a worthy topic) but keep in mind that for the RNG for a game, a lot of the more nuanced issues just don't apply.

p4ran0id

Staff member
Let me get a bit nerdy and paranoid :lol:

Like I said before, there is no true random. Not sure what David use for his engine, but to be honest, even the built-in randomizer was compromised long ago. /dev/random and dev/urandom isn't really random anymore, it seems like that, but it is possible to calculate the numbers if you have enough data.

As long as David doesn't modified the randomizer, it could be possible that it's not really random, you have to add Entropie for that to get sure that the build-in Backdoor won't effect the generized numbers.

For the nerdy player, just read that :p

https://www.blackhat.com/docs/us-15/mat ... age-wp.pdf

https://crypto.stackexchange.com/questi ... curerandom

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
VDX_360":vzi0cunc said:
Note: the most common "complaint" about repeating drops is when players repeatedly reload from a save to farm tombs from a lich and keep getting the same thing. That tactic was considered an exploit (see forum rules) and the game was amended to prevent that very tactic. So THAT repeating is by design.

A very important point, many people may be confusing this with RNG issues.

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
Owns":2djydokp said:
The point of this post was to see if other people had a similar experience with the "repetitiveness" behavior I was seeing.

Well, you can say that many, but really many people noted something like this on this forum from as long as I read it (please check date of my registration).

Usually when something "goes wrong", but, to answer them, there's always people with different kind of "repetitiveness", where they get that something more often than it would be expected.

My conclusion is:

a) RNG works really ... randomly (sometimes better, sometimes worse).
b) It looks that some players have more luck than others (or just they pray better prayers to gods that matters more when RNG is in question).

So, of course you see something that looks odd to you (and believe me, I see many odd things in my life all the time, I still keep noticing them, but I'm accepting them for facts of life), it is good thing to discuss it and check if there may be some problem, but also, sometimes there's no problems, but just weird RNG issues.

And forum is full of posts with these weird RNG issues...