The Cleric is not a bad class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir ShanksAlot

Hi there,

I see a lot of people posting about the Clerics, mostly the negatives, but I made my own to see what all the fuss is about. While I noticed this class is more advanced than the basic Warrior or Rogue, it was definitely not impossible and once I figured it out, it quickly became my favorite class by offering a new type of playing style and challenge.

This class is for advanced playing

So I wanted to share my build, skills and equipment. Some strategy and techniques that have assisted me so far.

At first I tried to balance Str, End , Agi and Per, but I quickly learned that wasn't the best way to handle this Class and I was actually dying quite often. So I changed it up, adding more Str and gear to boost Str and Per.

At level 10 here is my build (Includes trait points from the books and equipment bonuses).

HP - 191
Mana - 80
Armor- 15

Str - 6 (5 Base - +1 From Belt of Might)
End - 2
Agi - 2
Int - 0 (Waste of Skill points, takes 2 to benefit for Clerics)
Awa - 0 ( You should have nothing here because Thelumes wisdom and Adaon)
Per - 4 (3 Base +1 From Necklace of Charm (obtained in quest))

Skills: Red means I don't use it

Heal Wounds I (Best Heal to Mana ratio currently, will increase when update comes)
Holy Shield
Sacred Fire III (Your Stab/Whirlwind for Clerics)
Intervention
Arbeno's Might II
Crusader III
Nirvaria's Barrier III
Thelume's Wisdom I

Gear :

Full Blessed: Coif, shirt, leggings and boots
Essence Gloves (Better than blessed IMHO)
I alternate between Shield of the Forge and Lesser shield of Life
Sentient Ring and Ring of Resistance(poison protection)
Nivarian Cloak
Belt of Might
Necklace of Charm (quest drop)
Silvery Mace/Crushing Ember alternate

This class was a bit tough at first, but having run this game a few times with different classes, I got through the low level turmoils pretty quick.

Once I got to level 8, there was a dramatic shift in survival.

First I make money (to fund my gear) and stock up on pots, I farm in the Dungeon located in New Garand Farmlands. I will wear Lesser shield of life and use silvery mace and run this over and over to farm gold/teleport scrolls/emeralds and Moderate Pots.

Why here? You are the worst nightmare of undead things. This is the undead place of all undead spots currently. You may also choose the dungeon in Northern Blue Mist but this one is the most convenient so far in my opinion.

Once I have a good amount of pots and teleport scrolls, I will toss my Forge shield and Crushing Ember on. I head to the Trollfens and I run that dungeon. Adaon uses Magma short sword because your companions will often screw up a troll death. I chose to give him the magma short sword for that reason. I also chose the Magma Short sword over the other items from that quest because I honestly didn't see any benefit to my character from anything but that.

When attacking strong enemies that hit hard (Trolls, Bigger Orcs and Minotaurs) I will use Arbeno's Might before engaging and knock down their health, once they are about 30% till death I end them with Sacred fire. This keeps a last second stun or Fury from taking a huge toll on your health or killing you. Orcs aren't as much of a threat so I typically pull a group (run around and get their attention) and then take them all out (or severely cripple) with Sacred fire first and finish them all off with a bump to the head. Heal after the fight if necessary.

Anything else (except poison users (Spider and Rats), I can't defend well against poison due to the gear I chose to use) is super simple and will likely fall before you. This Class can definitely has the ability to be tanky and deal plenty of damage, but you will utilize more skills and mana. Hence why I say this class is definitely for advanced players.

I intend on adding another point to Endurance and Agility in the future.

This class rocks, just use your skills in combination with pots and you will beat anything.

malignity

That's fine and dandy, but unless we start over, we can't even begin to replicate your build if we're past that.

I'm level 11 on my cleric and I can't even run the trollfen dungeon. I got my arse handed to me. This may change in the upcoming patch with the changes made. We will see.

Sir ShanksAlot

malignity":3dgvl50d said:
That's fine and dandy, but unless we start over, we can't even begin to replicate your build if we're past that.

I'm level 11 on my cleric and I can't even run the trollfen dungeon. I got my arse handed to me. This may change in the upcoming patch with the changes made. We will see.

I can get to level 10 in about a day or two of playing. Just make a new one, if you are experienced it shouldn't be hard at all. You know what to expect.

"I'm level 11 on my cleric and I can't even run the trollfen dungeon. I got my arse handed to me." I just killed the troll king, you will need pots for sure. This class will not be free of potion use. That's why I said farm pots :).

Unknown

Cleric in itself isnt weak, I just hate how limited you are in your weapon choice. Rogues and Warriors both get excellent weapons, 1h as well as 2h, on my agility cleric im forced to use a blue steel dagger or for trolls the sparkling dagger you can get in lannegar mine, i mean seriously?
And the mace that you're using has the same speed a warriors 2hander has, now compare how much damage both deal. Yes, cleric has more tools for survivability, but i dont wanna be forced to use +6 dmg potions on every single fight...

On a sidenote theres a bug with those damage potions and Arbenos might, potions last 20 seconds, arbenos might 8 (rank 1) now when i use both simultaneously, as soon as arbenos might wears off the potion effect is lost aswell, doesnt matter if you use potion or buff first.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Well, in trollfens there's a couple decent blunt weapons... Including a two hander. But more will come.

Noted about the effect stacking, thanks.

CalicoValk

At level 11, I fought and killed my first Primeval Bear. Once I learned how to farm and beat them, I eventually got a really good 1h dagger as a drop. It is reall good for cleric agility builds.

Mod Note: Full quote deleted. When replying to a post, there's no need to quote the entire post. It clutters the forum, esp when quoting long posts.

Mod Note: Also try to avoid necro-posting. This thread started in 2016 and was revived by this post in Jan. 2018. See Forum Rule #4.

VDX_360

Staff member
Unknown":3sx2xptp said:
On a sidenote theres a bug with those damage potions and Arbenos might, potions last 20 seconds, arbenos might 8 (rank 1) now when i use both simultaneously, as soon as arbenos might wears off the potion effect is lost aswell, doesnt matter if you use potion or buff first.
That appears to be a bug. Please report bugs in the support forum. David has commented on the issue so he seems to be aware of it now but off-hand comments about bugs can slip through the cracks.

VDX_360

Staff member
malignity":ufutkslf said:
I'm level 11 on my cleric and I can't even run the trollfen dungeon. I got my arse handed to me.
I've found clerics can do pretty well in the trollfens, but given that clerics do extremely well in undead areas, it stands to reason there would be areas that give them trouble.

VDX_360

Staff member
Sir ShanksAlot":3k05xr29 said:
Int - 0 (Waste of Skill points, takes 2 to benefit for Clerics)
Awa - 0 ( You should have nothing here because Thelumes wisdom and Adaon)
Keep in mind there are quest options only accessible with certain trait checks. In addition, there are benefits to INT and AWA for Clerics, with or without using Adaon as a Companion. See the Wiki for Trait information.

Status
Not open for further replies.