Playing EK on a 4:3 Android Device S-T-R-E-T-C-H

emmbee

Just picked up a HP Pro Slate 8. Not a bad little tablet, but EK looks awful! Is there anyway to letterbox it or somehow make it look ok? It's a hi-res screen 2048 x 1536.
Is it like this with all 4:3 tablets? iPads too?

VDX_360

Staff member
That's a great question... In theory, letterboxing might skip the stretching issue but might come with it's own set of issues (loss of usable screen area, odd placement of on-screen controls, getting the letterboxing to work).

Remember when everyone agreed on a standard ratio to avoid this very issue... yeah, those 4:3 guys don't remember it either :)

emmbee

Seems like there should be a workable app based solution. I haven't noticed issues with other games. Yet. There are apps available to tweak the device resolution if I root it, but I'm not sure if its worth the hassle and risk.

emmbee

I bought a newer ipad (regular size, not pro) and it has the exact same problem. Looks awful. Should be able to utilize the extra screen to show more of the game, not just a zoomed in mess. Major disapointment. I was ready to re-buy the game, but certainly won't without some optimizations.