Constant Crashes in Cities

Ilusindarim

How come after several hours of playing my game crashes constantly while in a city? First it was Kingsbridge and then Freetown and now New Garand. If I make it into one of these cities and rest at an inn my game will crash when I load or if I'm lucky to load up it crashes after I take a few steps. I absolutely love this game but I'd like to see a patch out soon to fix this. I tried removing the game and reinstalling but it didn't help. I'm using a coolpad catalyst, have purchased the full game and have a level 13 warrior if that helps. Thank you

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Hello, definitely the game is stable for most users. Sudden crashes without a "has stopped and must be closed" errors are usually memory errors, but your device has enough memory.

A few questions:

It had never happened to you until now?

Have you restarted your device?

Have you recently installed other software that can be consuming lots of memory in the background? (so-called antivirus, or memory "optimizers", for instance)

Ilusindarim

Its been happening for the past day or two but it has steadily crashed more often. I'm outside of Freetown and the game crashes every time I load before the game world opens. Iactually several apps hoping it would make it run smoother. Restarting my phone seems to have helped. Would it help to clear the games cache or memory under settings or would that jeopardize my files? thanks its such an amazing game I can't wait for more content to be added!

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
cache is safe to remove, data would delete your saved games (but if you have already uninstalled and you still have your data, I guess you have made a backup to cloud or external file already)

I am not sure what can be the cause but it certainly looks related to something on your device, not a bug. The game doesn't use more memory than it did before, and each new update makes crashes more rare.

Clouded01

This same problem happend to me. At first a rwbopt seemed to make it happen less often. Later I increaaed available memory by disabling or removing some unnecessary apps amd services and it crashes seldom now.

RanKor33

I have the exact same issue. The game runs fine until you hit ANY city and then crashes. Crash can occur instantly or several moments later after entering the city. Area autosaves are useful for recovering the game position (to a degree). Restarting the game resolves the issue, until you go to another city or leave/re-enter and then... crash again.

I've been playing the game (a legit in-app purchase) for quite a while, around mid 2017 and the crash issue only came up around in the last two or three updates. It was horrible the last update, latest update seemed to turn it down a bit, but still annoying.

It does appear to be exclusively related to entering cities. For what it's worth I'm running an el cheapo TracFone Android LGL51AL with over 1GB of available disk space and around 300MB free off 1GB RAM. The game ran flawless until the past two or three updates and then the crash issue came up.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry to hear. Have you tried a reboot, or a clean install (after making a backup)?

Google console tells me that less than 1 in 1000 game sessions are terminated because of Out of Memory errors, and the game has less and less such issues with each new version. Maybe the game is not compatible with your device. Some low-spec devices with 1Gb RAM actually use up part of the RAM for video memory or other uses; this typically happens to Samsung cheaper phones, but also to other brands. If this is the case, I am afraid there's little I can do...

RanKor33

DavidBVal":26n9zgpb said:
Sorry to hear. Have you tried a reboot, or a clean install (after making a backup)?

Google console tells me that less than 1 in 1000 game sessions are terminated because of Out of Memory errors, and the game has less and less such issues with each new version. Maybe the game is not compatible with your device. Some low-spec devices with 1Gb RAM actually use up part of the RAM for video memory or other uses; this typically happens to Samsung cheaper phones, but also to other brands. If this is the case, I am afraid there's little I can do...

Hello.

No, I hadn't tried a clean install but have done reboots. The game has actually been very stable since I picked it up, which is what stumped me with suddenly crashing a few moments after entering any city or town.

After some intensive trial and error, I did manage to alleviate the crashing. It would appear using the "simple fonts" settings option was the culprit as the game no longer crashes without that option used. I couldn't find any posts about that option possibly causing issues, though.