Unique Original Artwork

Sleeping Panda

So - I'll try to be brief.

I notice there aren't proper Original Content for certain aspects of the game. I was curious how much of that is going to be replaced. If, say, the symbols for the reputation emblems is up for grabs I may be willing to donate some cash to get them drawn up properly. Not trying to throw money around, but, I can count at least 3 AWESOME games that I've quit because of personal reasons with that aspect of the game itself.

TL;DR - I would like to see the Rep Emblams Change for some of the factions to Original Artwork. What do you think? Why?

Sleeping Panda

Re: "Public Domain"

Alan_SP":2kcwnw88 said:
Sleeping Panda":2kcwnw88 said:
I'm not saying anything is stolen; I just had the thought because of seeing a few recognizable entities or characters that aren't...original >.>

OK, I now better understand what you're getting at.

I don't plan to get into too much detail, but I'll just point out that symbols are symbols for a reason. People when see symbol know what it stands for, or at least get some idea why it is where it is, even if they don't understand it completely.

And, being too original may be a bigger problem than being a bit too unoriginal. Especially when dealing with a lot of people (i.e. there's hopefully a lot of people who play and would play EK).

But, this is just my opinion.

I don't mind symbolism, I just think there could be ones that don't have a stigma attached to them. Idk, IIRC there is Heraldry for most everything except the three and the mages guild. I didn't look long, I kinda went on a tangent (sorry lol) BUT! Idk, I think some opposition when it comes to the symbols might be neat. Maybe Wings and a sword/Scales for the three... (Maybe a three cupped scale :eek:)
then something that suggests something more along the lines of potion making or something. What do you think? Maybe an eye with Dragon/Bat wings.

Xen

Loreseeker
I don't know if it is just me, but I think he is suggesting something rather than insulting the originality of the game's artwork. Maybe his choices of word is somewhat improper or unintentional and he is suggesting David to put some money to hire someone to make unique artworks for some of the emblems.

If you're going to ask me, David is the sole developer of the game, it is not a large game developing company that is why the update takes a long time. I also think he doesn't want to waste resources of the game development just to change some of the things that isn't a big deal for the majority of the people supporting the game, just like every other playing the game out there it is just individual issues, personal preference, own assessment. But I got your point, it is up to them to reconsider.

Vaaclav

Translator
If I understand Panda's basic remark,

he would like to say that game would have more graphics used especially for this game.

:arrow:
For example,

my favourite game, Simutrans, have many graphic packages independent on game core. Originally was only one, and also, originally there were not original graphics, if I remember correctly.

But as time goes, more and more graphics are replaced by graphics created for this game. And what is the most important, everybody who is able to paint (and write code for those graphics - code that says what that graphic really is - if it is factory or tourist attraction or family house or so) can do do new graphics. Some people create trains, somebody else create factories and else buildings and so on.

I think that some graphics could be created by players - and in special topic showed, and later choosed (or not) for using in game, as is or after minor corrections.

The best way for this could be, if needed graphics could be announced as needed, and then some time would be taken for collecting of new graphics ...

All new graphics could be done under Artistic License or so, ...

Some one may be more capable to create sword or shield, any else one may be better in creation of faces or so.

Of course, when game has some style, it would be a bit harder to create graphics for that game, but I don't see why to don't use this way to give game some new unique graphics.

To vexiologic discussion, only mages' guild can have a different coat of arms. I think so that pentagram is not the best option. In other cases I think that it is more or less OK.