Unique Original Artwork

Sleeping Panda

So - I'll try to be brief.

I notice there aren't proper Original Content for certain aspects of the game. I was curious how much of that is going to be replaced. If, say, the symbols for the reputation emblems is up for grabs I may be willing to donate some cash to get them drawn up properly. Not trying to throw money around, but, I can count at least 3 AWESOME games that I've quit because of personal reasons with that aspect of the game itself.

TL;DR - I would like to see the Rep Emblams Change for some of the factions to Original Artwork. What do you think? Why?

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
Re: "Public Domain"

Sorry, not quit sure what you suggest?

Do you suggest that some artwork is stolen from someone? Or that you just prefer that EK is completely based on material that no one has access to and can't be used in other games (without stealing, of course)?

No material is stolen and full credits are given here: http://exiledkingdoms.com/ek_credits.html

Sleeping Panda

Alan_SP":1038lf8j said:
Sorry, not quit sure what you suggest?

Do you suggest that some artwork is stolen from someone? Or that you just prefer that EK is completely based on material that no one has access to and can't be used in other games (without stealing, of course)?

No material is stolen and full credits are given here: http://exiledkingdoms.com/ek_credits.html

I'm not saying anything is stolen; I just had the thought because of seeing a few recognizable entities or characters that aren't...original >.>

I'd try to appeal to your easy-going side, but it seems I've already crossed that road; so I'll be frank.

I love the game, it's design, it's aspects. I hate that the mages guild is a pentagram.
Weather or not the guild is an evil entity or not I haven't discovered, but, it's my personal opinion it shouldn't be used. Again, I'm not trying to throw money around or hurt anyone's feelings; this is my own personal issue. I don't even think a triquetra should be used for the three. I don't personally like that kind of symbolism in a fantasy game. =/ I apologize for thinking a few bills could adapt toward a different trajectory, I now see that it is rude. I guess I just didn't think there would be such a backlash from it. Lesson learned.

VDX_360

Staff member

Edit Note: Changed thread tittle from "Public Domain" to "Unique Original Artwork" to reduce ambiguity in the thread (Public Domain is a vast and legally defined topic).

First off, I think the idea of trying to have symbols and graphics unique to EK is good goal; however, Sleeping Panda's wording of that idea was a little ambiguous and used some loaded language, possibly without intending to do so. I'll make a few comments on specific statements below but I wanted to first state that I think Sleeping Panda's idea has some merit worth discussing, just not with the blunt insults that were bundled up with his or her post.

"I notice there aren't proper Original Content"
This statement implies the game has IMPROPER Original Content, which comes off accusing the Developer of stealing content. A misstep to say the least.

"I may be willing to donate some cash to get them drawn up properly"
This statement implies the graphics in question are IMPROPERLY drawn up. Rather blunt criticism of someone's hard work. Ouch, to say the least.

"I hate that the mages guild is a pentagram. Weather or not the guild is an evil entity or not I haven't discovered, but, it's my personal opinion it shouldn't be used. "
Um... only in a few narrow contexts does the pentagram symbol mean anything remotely "evil". The symbol, a five pointed star made by fire interconnecting lines, has existed for thousands of years and is found in almost every ancient culture, often referring to different ideas. It was a popular symbol in the 1800's as a catch-all symbol for all things magic. It's a basic shape that's been put to a lot of use.

VDX_360

Staff member
Sleeping Panda,

Which symbols in the game do you think would be better served by new symbols, and what would you suggest the symbols be? Keep in mind the graphic limitations and the multi-languages served by the game.

Sleeping Panda

VDX_360":s7yqpaze said:
Edit Note: Changed thread tittle from "Public Domain" to "Unique Original Artwork" to reduce ambiguity in the thread (Public Domain is a vast and legally defined topic).

First off, I think the idea of trying to have symbols and graphics unique to EK is good goal; however, Sleeping Panda's wording of that idea was a little ambiguous and used some loaded language, possibly without intending to do so. I'll make a few comments on specific statements below but I wanted to first state that I think Sleeping Panda's idea has some merit worth discussing, just not with the blunt insults that were bundled up with his or her post.

"I notice there aren't proper Original Content"
This statement implies the game has IMPROPER Original Content, which comes off accusing the Developer of stealing content. A misstep to say the least.

"I may be willing to donate some cash to get them drawn up properly"
This statement implies the graphics in question are IMPROPERLY drawn up. Rather blunt criticism of someone's hard work. Ouch, to say the least.

"I hate that the mages guild is a pentagram. Weather or not the guild is an evil entity or not I haven't discovered, but, it's my personal opinion it shouldn't be used. "
Um... only in a few narrow contexts does the pentagram symbol mean anything remotely "evil". The symbol, a five pointed star made by fire interconnecting lines, has existed for thousands of years and is found in almost every ancient culture, often referring to different ideas. It was a popular symbol in the 1800's as a catch-all symbol for all things magic. It's a basic shape that's been put to a lot of use.

As I said, I apologize for any problems I may have caused.

Long story short, I think unique symbolism is something I support. I also (Because of my beliefs) do not agree with the use of a pentacle, pentagram, etc. That's my problem and I guess I was feeling put off by it's use. Again, I apologize.

Sleeping Panda

VDX_360":2y4k2s9e said:
Sleeping Panda,

Which symbols in the game do you think would be better served by new symbols, and what would you suggest the symbols be? Keep in mind the graphic limitations and the multi-languages served by the game.
\

I'll have to do some research; I get muddled in the head when it comes to symbolism meaning eternity. I jsut have strong beliefs - and need to try to find better ways to communicate what I'm talking about. (I won't go into that more right now.)

BUT! There's an art (Forget what it's called) to building a coat of arms. They have names for the shapes and colors represent things based on the origin of the house. You can actually look at a minecraft vanilla wiki and find them out - They have flags and shield covers now.

VDX_360

Staff member
In most European countries, heraldry and heraldic vexillology are relatively consistent (stress 'relatively') which allows for some games to have a template for how each in-game coat of arms is designed or displayed. But that creates a dilemma.

If you want an game to have unique original content in in-game flags and coat of arms, those symbols can't be based off the same equation used by every other game as that means it's not original in concept. I point that out as it undermines how difficult it is to have anything truly 100% never-even-been-thought-of original art. Nothing new under the sun, is how the expression goes.

As for your concerns about the pentagram, understand it's just a basic shape. After all, in Europe, the pentagram was originally used as a symbol for Christianity and Christ (the five founds of Christ more precisely) and than later, an "upside" down pentagram was used to mean the anti-Christ, or things demonic in nature. Later, the "evil" meaning crept in..... Symbols can have complicated histories making any assertion of the meaning of a symbol problematic.

Another example is the "@" symbol was initial used to abbreviate "each at" or the rate of a good or service (notice the e and a in the symbol). Later it was used by computer designers in the way we use it today. But I digress.

You assert you just don't like the pentagram. Okay. What would you suggest as a new symbol for the mage's guild? A wand? A blank circle (cause the mage class is still missing :) )?

Now, the Developer is under no obligation to change the game, but this is the feedback section so why not try to offer solutions as well?

Sleeping Panda

VDX_360":3tyfe9mr said:
In most European countries, heraldry and heraldic vexillology are relatively consistent (stress 'relatively') which allows for some games to have a template for how each in-game coat of arms is designed or displayed. But that creates a dilemma.

If you want an game to have unique original content in in-game flags and coat of arms, those symbols can't be based off the same equation used by every other game as that means it's not original in concept. I point that out as it undermines how difficult it is to have anything truly 100% never-even-been-thought-of original art. Nothing new under the sun, is how the expression goes.

As for your concerns about the pentagram, understand it's just a basic shape. After all, in Europe, the pentagram was originally used as a symbol for Christianity and Christ (the five founds of Christ more precisely) and than later, an "upside" down pentagram was used to mean the anti-Christ, or things demonic in nature. Later, the "evil" meaning crept in..... Symbols can have complicated histories making any assertion of the meaning of a symbol problematic.

Another example is the "@" symbol was initial used to abbreviate "each at" or the rate of a good or service (notice the e and a in the symbol). Later it was used by computer designers in the way we use it today. But I digress.

You assert you just don't like the pentagram. Okay. What would you suggest as a new symbol for the mage's guild? A wand? A blank circle (cause the mage class is still missing :) )?

Now, the Developer is under no obligation to change the game, but this is the feedback section so why not try to offer solutions as well?

I appreciate the insight. (I may actually read up on that; I want to herald for my Realm in Belegarth :p)

I... well; feeling a bit sheepish - I was hoping to get some ideas from someone I know and see what she (Being an artist) would think about such things. It's a small thing to bring to the table but if one of her ideas made it I would've been willing to "foot the bill" so to speak. But let's not talk money =/ I feel bad enough I acted like an over zealous douche bag.

Mages. What makes me think of a good mage... Probably for imagery - Books, some sort of eye, IDK. Trees? They'd need to be trees that were budding or made from eternity knots. Not necessarily a triquetra specifically, but, something nice in design. Maybe illuminated pages of paper. Something studious.

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator

Sleeping Panda":1tjoz8kb said:
I'm not saying anything is stolen; I just had the thought because of seeing a few recognizable entities or characters that aren't...original >.>

OK, I now better understand what you're getting at.

I don't plan to get into too much detail, but I'll just point out that symbols are symbols for a reason. People when see symbol know what it stands for, or at least get some idea why it is where it is, even if they don't understand it completely.

And, being too original may be a bigger problem than being a bit too unoriginal. Especially when dealing with a lot of people (i.e. there's hopefully a lot of people who play and would play EK).

But, this is just my opinion.