Health regeneration mechanics are annoying

Hurleybird

Needing to stand still and idle for 30 seconds or so while health regenerates is really, really bad. The way the mechanic works in practice detracts quite a bit from the game. At the very least, health should regenerate whenever one is out of combat, even if they're moving. At least then the player isn't forced to do nothing for extended periods.

Cuckoorex

I don't mind the having to stand still part so much; however I do think that health regen should take place during boat rides and while gossiping for hours in the Inns. I mean, a two day boat ride, you should have full health and recoveries, I would think.

Slick24

I don't think you have to stand still to regenerates your health. Whenever I'm out of combat and walks around, my health still regenerates.

Hurleybird

It definitely doesn't regenerate when you're moving around, but you might regain a hitpoint or two every time you stop, eventually filling you back up.

Besides regen while moving, it would be nice if the regeneration happened faster (at least at higher levels), and perhaps if we either had a rest mechanic outside of towns (with the possibility of being ambushed) or just regenerated one "fill HP button" every 12 hours or so...

VDX_360

Staff member
I'm not sure increasing regeneration in the lower difficulty settings is warranted or needed. If you're having trouble staying alive, it might be your build or your playing style that could be tweaked. The health regen aspect is supposed to be a slight assist for the easier difficulty settings, not a go-to way to plow through a dungeon.

Potions, while a little hard to come by in the early game, are easily obtained by the mid to end game play.

General Skill Extra Recovery can give up to 2 extra recoveries, for a total of 4 usable between inn rests.

Hurleybird

It's not a matter of difficulty, it's a matter of design. Waiting around while your health regenerates doesn't change the difficulty of the game one iota, it merely means you're sitting there not doing anything for an annoying period of time when you'd rather be playing.

VDX_360

Staff member
Hurleybird":27hnj450 said:
... it merely means you're sitting there not doing anything for an annoying period of time when you'd rather be playing.
Ok. That makes sense.

So easy solution is to not do it. Waiting to regenerate health is totally OPTIONAL (and only for lower difficulties). It's totally possible to play the game at any difficulty level without ever having to use the regeneration ability. And if you are using the regeneration ability more than once-and-awhile, you may be pushing too fast through the content or having room to improve your build. Regenerating health can help allow deeper dives into dungeons but it's no replacement for the required level building, appropriate equipment and other tactics.

Hurleybird

That's a rather silly and unhelpful response.

If there's a good reason for the game to encourage players to sit around doing nothing for 30s while they wait for health to regenerate, make that argument.

Grim Reaper

totally know what u r talking about m8... i dislike current regen mechanics as well... totally useless at high lvl and totally annoying to have overall... i just made a post about same thing along with some other changes i wanna see... what do u think about my suggestion for rework on it?

How to make it work?
Ik that any actual changes on this question would ask for rebalance and remake of whole recovery system... since if you could regenerate ur hp and mana fully there would be no need for recovery option, there would be no need for sleeping nor for option to pray on altar of the three for mana. But here is what i have in mind to cover for it... Altar already has use of donating for gain of exp... You can rework praying on it this way... u can pray once a day to gain 1 rep with the three, in case u do not pray for three days in a row u would lose 1 rep. Now back to sleeping... How about if u do not sleep for some period of time u r feeling more and more tired and ur regen is lower and lower (both mana and hp)... and if u do not sleep for like 2 days it starts going negative (u can make this depend on ur endurance, would be kewl... also would be kewl if u make that other stats lower amount of time u can stay awake without degen... as an example of explanation... str puts physical strain on ur body so u need to rest more often... or intellect puts intellectual strain on ur body and thinking so much makes you tired...). There is also a recovery... i have no idea how to make it usefull... u would prolly have to delete it along with recovery skill... if u do that just reset everyone's skill points when update arrives... You could also remove whole system overall which would be favorable for something else i have in mind, we will come to that later...

Actual changes on regen
How about making a system where u regen 0.5+0.25*End+0.1*Str per sec (i think it ain't 2 much nor 2 low, tho idk XD).
So lets give it an example... somebody lvl 10 has 200ish hp, 7 Str(1 from item usually at that lvl) and 2 End.. he would have 1.7hp regen per sec, i think that should be okay.. Mana could regen like 0.1+0.1*Int+0.1*Per... lets give it an example here... lvl 10 mage... he would have lvl 6 Int and lvl 2 Per and about 90 mana and he would regen 0.9 mana per sec... To fully regen form 1 each u would need 100 sec if u builded ur char this way which should be okay... also notice that all regen should be active all the time, not only when standing and up to half hp - 50 points.

EDIT NOTE: "Suggestions" are not spoilers, no need for spoiler tags.

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
Hurleybird":ap1ydtxp said:
That's a rather silly and unhelpful response.

Actually, there's something that we usually call "developer's vision for his game".

EK didn't have any regeneration at the beginning. But, many people insisted that at least easiest level should be much easier than what developer had in mind and developer caved in. Along with some other things, like saving in dungeons, which causes many people great problems because they save just before they get killed and at the same time they don't know they can reload from last safe position (sleeping at inn).

But, as you can see, developer still wanted that his vision is distinct from almost all other RPGs there.

I understand that your vision, at least in this aspect doesn't go along with developer's, but things at the moment are as they are.

On the other hand, you voiced your vision, developer can read it and now it only remains to see what he will do, if he will do anything about it.

There really is no need to use language as this. Please, refrain from it in the future.