Health regeneration mechanics are annoying

Hurleybird

Needing to stand still and idle for 30 seconds or so while health regenerates is really, really bad. The way the mechanic works in practice detracts quite a bit from the game. At the very least, health should regenerate whenever one is out of combat, even if they're moving. At least then the player isn't forced to do nothing for extended periods.

VDX_360

Staff member
Hurleybird":1y6f056a said:
If there's a good reason for the game to encourage players to sit around doing nothing for 30s ...
My point is, and continues to be, that NO ONE IS FORCED to use the regeneration system and as such, the delay is a self-imposed hardship that's easily mitigated. Rather than try to figure out a complicated way to redesign a game, it's more useful to play the game as it's designed to be played.

I vote for simply getting rid of the regeneration system. It's only for lower difficulty levels and seems to encourage players to try to rush the game. Lower difficulties can Quick Save in dungeons so they have that safety net.

VDX_360

Staff member
While my vote is to pull the plug on the Regeneration Ability, I'm mindful that a lot of players on the casual spectrum really rely on it. As such, I'm requesting player input on the subject over in the Feedback section.

And, I agree that IF YOU USE the regeneration feature, it's an annoying break in game play that can foster quit-rage level of frustration. I think the best idea is to avoid using the feature but since it's there, let's get some idea of how it's being used so we can have a productive dialogue on possible solutions.

Too easy of Regeneration Ability undermines the game design. Too awkward of a Regeneration Ability can ruin the game play experience.

Place to give player input:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11319

Hurleybird

Alan_SP":1tfh676o said:
But, as you can see, developer still wanted that his vision is distinct from almost all other RPGs there.

I understand that your vision, at least in this aspect doesn't go along with developer's, but things at the moment are as they are.

On the other hand, you voiced your vision, developer can read it and now it only remains to see what he will do, if he will do anything about it.

Game development, especially indie game development, is a bit of give-and-take, and players will ask for things that run contrary to your vision. Sometimes you give in, and sometimes you hold fast. In this case, the developer gave in by adding additional features for people who wanted them. But the implementation of these features is poor, and should be made better. That's something that is completely independent of vision... Unless you think that having players standing around staring at the screen for half a minute at a time, unable to do anything else in that period is part of his vision. Given how absurd it would be to want that, and given how promising some parts of this game are, I deem that highly unlikely.

VDX_360":1tfh676o said:
My point is, and continues to be, that NO ONE IS FORCED to use the regeneration system and as such, the delay is a self-imposed hardship that's easily mitigated. Rather than try to figure out a complicated way to redesign a game, it's more useful to play the game as it's designed to be played.

Regenerating health while you're moving (and possibly as long as there aren't enemies around) is not in any way a complicated redesign. No, I'm not the developer and I don't know his codebase, but I do have enough related experience to say that with an extreme amount of confidence.

VDX_360":1tfh676o said:
I vote for simply getting rid of the regeneration system. It's only for lower difficulty levels and seems to encourage players to try to rush the game. Lower difficulties can Quick Save in dungeons so they have that safety net.

While it's usually better to not have a system in place than have a very poor implementation of it, I fear the cat's already out of the bag in this instance. Take away regen and you can bet on player backlash.

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
Hurleybird":2rm1bbxx said:
Take away regen and you can bet on player backlash.
I myself am not gambling man, but if I would need to gamble on this, I don't think that I would loose money if I would gamble on removing it.

Of course, this theory would need to be tested in RL situation, like every good experiment. Just discussing it, having opinions, intellectualizing one or other option is better is mute.

EK for quite a long time didn't had easiest level and many things that went with it. It didn't had more than one save slot. It didn't allowed saving under 30% health (many players open topics here because they save just before they get killed, you wouldn't believe how many).

Many, many things EK didn't had and it was pretty popular.

Making it easier and easier (and yet even more easier) doesn't necessary brings more sales. There are many players who swear that they like EK because it is harder than other games.

I know I didn't "convinced" you. I didn't write this to do so. I just wanted to say, you have your opinion. And it goes for other people also.

And, don't think that I would mind if regeneration gets altered in any way. I don't play on easiest level, so it is not my thing, i.e. I don't mind whatever happens with it.

VDX_360

Staff member
Hurleybird":2toqa8vr said:
Regenerating health while you're moving (and possibly as long as there aren't enemies around) is not in any way a complicated redesign. No, I'm not the developer and I don't know his codebase, but I do have enough related experience to say that with an extreme amount of confidence.
You're thinking of a program redesign, and I was referring to a game play design. Currently, the Regeneration Ability seems to be getting used to push too far, too fast, which causes balance and content flow issues. The requirement to stand still was designed to deter over use of the Regeneration Ability.

If the easiest challenge level gets any easier, it will be reduced down to press a button and win, which would make beating or playing the game rather moot. Might as well just watch Youtube videos of people playing.

I'm not sure what future adjustments will occur to the Regeneration Ability, but I think any changes will be a low priority.

JarrenDrahn

I'm surprised from reading the forums by just how many people play on casual. I've never played on it myself and I get by just fine with no health regen.

Xen

Loreseeker
Do you know what is the best and challenging aspect of EK?

If you're going to ask me it is the no regeneration feature in higher difficulty modes. I believe games should have challenges that can stir your mind to plan your move not just wack everything you see until you get bored of it. Most of my experience in gaming is I don't use potions in any game with regeneration feature so the potions doesn't make sense except for some which rely on mana potion usage, because of that I usually sell potions to earn gold and it is like a trash in the game just like the other loots. In EK potions can spell the difference of life and death and most of the time it saves my character from dying but i'm telling you even in EK i'm not using potions regularly it is just a staple item for emergency. I like David being realistic in some aspects of EK to test your survival capabilities and I think that is what most games lack. Besides if you think EK is very very hard for you, there is an Easy mode if you're not the type which can easily adapt to new mechanics. I have to admit though, Archers in EK is hard to play particularly in boss fights.

Cuckoorex

At lower levels, I relied very much on regen to get through relatively tough dungeons after I had run out of healing potions and recoveries; it taught me to be patient with my rogue and to use my bow to lure out enemies one at a time to avoid getting surrounded and insta-killed. It made for a challenging but not "rage-quit" level of challenge, I think. IMO the way it is now is just right; regen to 50 hp, just enough to maybe get through the late stages of a tough dungeon when you're a low-level character without the drudgery of leaving the dungeon, getting more potions, resting, etc. I vote to leave it just the way it is.

Zwackley

Loreseeker
JarrenDrahn":88d1tcyu said:
I'm surprised from reading the forums by just how many people play on casual.

I like Casual mode. It means that I can hit save and stop playing at any time to deal with things in the real world that require my attention. I don't want to have to tell my significant other, "Wait! Wait! I need to fight my way out of his dungeon first"

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Zwackley":2g8255w1 said:
JarrenDrahn":2g8255w1 said:
I'm surprised from reading the forums by just how many people play on casual.

I like Casual mode. It means that I can hit save and stop playing at any time to deal with things in the real world that require my attention. I don't want to have to tell my significant other, "Wait! Wait! I need to fight my way out of his dungeon first"

You can always use "Save and Exit" on any difficulty.