Companion AI/pathfinding

Cuckoorex

I'm sure this was already mentioned somewhere, but just on the chance that it hasn't been... hopefully in future updates companions will treat things like the toxic gas rising from the vents in the Imperial Fortress as an obstacle to avoid? I just did a run through of that dungeon and Hirge was driving me nuts by not only charging right through the gas making a beeline for the enemies, but while she was following me, if I happened to be standing close to the vent she'd literally just stand there on the grate until incapacitation. It's kinda funny in a way, but obviously also annoying at the same time. Similar problem with standing in fire when non-flaming ground is just a few steps away.

Isiliax

Cuckoorex":hettp7es said:
I'm sure this was already mentioned somewhere, but just on the chance that it hasn't been... hopefully in future updates companions will treat things like the toxic gas rising from the vents in the Imperial Fortress as an obstacle to avoid? I just did a run through of that dungeon and Hirge was driving me nuts by not only charging right through the gas making a beeline for the enemies, but while she was following me, if I happened to be standing close to the vent she'd literally just stand there on the grate until incapacitation. It's kinda funny in a way, but obviously also annoying at the same time. Similar problem with standing in fire when non-flaming ground is just a few steps away.

Looks like she isn't afraid to die, she knows that you will revive her anyway :lol:

VDX_360

Staff member
The path finding for Companions is a known issue and adds a curious level of difficulty when a Companion decides to stand in the fire rather than one step over, or when Adaon decides to disarm a trap by walking over it.... plus side Companions are immortal and bounce back after death. Downside, damage tiles are their weakness no matter how much intelligence they get.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
In some old versions I added some code to avoid damage effects like that, but it caused trouble every time I added new mechanics like explosions, etc. I decided to disable it until all mechanics were in place (possibly after mage is live, so no date yet)