(spoilers) The Prodigal Daughter feedback

Tschis

Hi.

I finished gathering the black shards and the mirror quest before starting The Prodigal Daughter quest.

What I noticed was that the game isn't ready for this order of things to happen. Both the spider and the daughter talk as if the shards still exists, but there was a pop up after completing the mirror that warned that all remaining shards disappeared.

Also, they (and my char too) still talk as if I am looking for the shards to complete the mirror, when in fact I am already past that phase.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
I decided not to disable the shard-related content after the quest is completed, and the game warns you about it when you complete Shards of Fate. The message says that all shard-related quests will remain the same, but shards will not drop.

I am aware it feels less realistic this way, but making so many quests and encounters altered would have been a lot of work, and I decided it was better to spend it in more content or improvements. But more importantly, it would penalize players by locking out content and important rewards. Yeah, this can be chalked up as design flaw, but the way things are and with a million players with live data in their savegames limiting what I can edit and what I can't, I think it will have to remain like this.

Tschis

Since many quests function based on previous events having happened, can't you make different choices or texts appear based on the event of Shards quest completion?

I didn't think much would have to change, except text. The idea still stands that the spider wants the daughter dead, so you might just change a bit what she and your character say.

Of course I have no background to be sure of any of this, but it does seem similar to other interactions with NPCs where you need to have certain events already.
For example, (Friguld spoiler)
boat captain in Friguld won't take you to Ashen if you haven't done certain things in Nivarian temple yet.

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
Tschis":qbcb7iom said:
Since many quests function based on previous events having happened

Actually, there's only a few quests that function based on previous events/quests.

VDX_360

Staff member
Tschis":2hu89uin said:
Of course I have no background to be sure of any of this
The first step to wisdom is knowing one's limits.

I suggest playing the game and taking the occasional oddities of out-of-order events in stride. There are limits to how many different quest paths can be accounted for in the in-game dialogue.

If you really want to throw off the game, don't even enter the Magistrate's house until you have all the Black Shards you can get. Nothing like entering the dungeon at Level 20 to even up those odds.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Alan_SP":1570akxq said:
Tschis":1570akxq said:
Since many quests function based on previous events having happened

Actually, there's only a few quests that function based on previous events/quests.

Technically, every quest does. For starters, it has to check its own completion status.

This is not a technical limitation, of course, it is a choice on how to better invest my development time and prevent people from locking themselves out of relevant content too easily. Realism is a means, not an end. Sure, I could just despawn the Undermother and Zuz'sare, but would that make the game more fun? Or I could dedicate time and entirely rewrite the quest with alternate branching instead of having added one of the quests in last update. It's as simple as that.

Kuratha

Staff member
You could change the text to say "the forces withing the mirror implodes, sending a wave of magical energy throughout the realms, dissipating all same-type energies (i.e. black shards)"

Tschis

theseriousone23":yucde8qb said:
You could change the text to say "the forces withing the mirror implodes, sending a wave of magical energy throughout the realms, dissipating all same-type energies (i.e. black shards)"

But the point here is the conversation text with spider and daughter afterwards.
Our characters and both of them speak as if I'm still looking for the shards to build the mirror.

Kuratha

Staff member
Ahh, missed that bit. The entire thread really hadn't addressed that. It may be enough to put a quest completion check but David already mentioned how difficult that would be to implement.

Mr.Suspense

Loreseeker
as a simple workaround, a recommendation can be added to the quest description in the journal to complete this quest after that quest. It would be similar to famous pre1.0 notice that the quest is still not completable.

Since there are only a few tightly dependent quests like this case, it is expected that this msg will not appear frequently.