Some ideas about companions.

KYTX

Translator
Hi Dev! I know you have plans to introduce companions' quests sometime in the future. I've been thinking about other games whith some cool experience with companions. So, here's some ideas I have to make companions more important.

Make their Gossip, Recovery and Dungeoneering (if the latter isn't already) useful for the player. For instance, make the partie's recovery level sum or average or max of the two of individual levels of that skill.

Whenever entering a new area, companion will say something about it. In general, have them express their thought on many more things and events then now

To be able to enlist companions into other factions, to access traders and advanced skills training for that companion. Sure, make it properly hard to achieve that!

Have companions teach you some unique skills. And vice versa. Perhaps, choose between 2-3 skills each way. And when teaching a companion, choice of skills will depend on your class/learnt skills.

Companions to add backpack space.

Missions where you control the companions, perhaps even be able to compose a party of two companions for a mission, or a part of a mission (inspired by ME2's suicide mission).

Characters and NPC to display phrases above their heads, Fallout 1,2 style.

Camping skill allowing to rest at a campfire and restore health and restoration things. Kind of an Inn. Again, both party members should somehow contribute. It could be the 4th general skill.

Ability to change character class for a HUGE amount of money, xp, probably losing levels. Or being able to make your own class?

VDX_360

Staff member
Renothian":2vzg6itg said:
My biggest concern is that companions fall behind as you get higher in level.
Yes and No. At higher levels, the main character should start to outpace the Companion but a well built Companion should hold his or her own through the game. By end-of-content, the Companions should be able to fend off mobs on their own and provide support skills based on their class. Given the Companions have infinite re-spawn, they due pretty well even in the Sewer of Horrors.

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
Renothian":1fkkocxq said:
My only question is whether these features are still intended for mobile version, even if much later, not just the new desktop version?
There's one thing you should know. Content wise, desktop or mobile versions are same.

Difference is in how you interact with game. As you probably know, on mobile version you usually don't use mouse and keyboard (only maybe controller). On desktop you can't use touch (or very rarely you have PC with touchscreen), but only mouse and keyboards (or maybe controller).

David now works on interface changes, not content changes.

0rion79

So many nice ideas, but I think that they would alter the game balance.

It could be nice for the next game about EK, though, since David claims it will be more complex than the current one.

I would love more comments from characters though: that would add some flavor! It is an underexploited option

HeckThor

I think it would be also better if companions are not always in just one specific place when you "send them home". For example maybe you can always find one in all taverns or that altar thing for Hirge in every town because when you're far away from them e.g. the Abbys quest either you have to use expensive scrolls/teleportations or go on a long " journey" just to change companion.

p4ran0id

Staff member
HeckThor":4o9k17me said:
I think it would be also better if companions are not always in just one specific place when you "send them home". For example maybe you can always find one in all taverns or that altar thing for Hirge in every town because when you're far away from them e.g. the Abbys quest either you have to use expensive scrolls/teleportations or go on a long " journey" just to change companion.

Well, it's called house. You can buy one in New Garand and Nivarian... ;)

If you buy a house, all your companions will wait there, you'll get 2 additional chest and a free bed

http://www.exiledkingdoms.com/wiki/inde ... rand_House
http://www.exiledkingdoms.com/wiki/inde ... rian_House

HeckThor

p4ran0id":1qpimx9w said:
HeckThor":1qpimx9w said:

If you buy a house, all your companions will wait there, you'll get 2 additional chest and a free bet

I thought they were just for extra storage and free rests lol. But still they're so expensive I haven't tried one yet even when I'm close to finishing the main quest. My idea is that maybe you can access them almost anywhere for less money or am I asking too much?

p4ran0id

Staff member
HeckThor":2v1yg86o said:
p4ran0id":2v1yg86o said:
HeckThor":2v1yg86o said:

If you buy a house, all your companions will wait there, you'll get 2 additional chest and a free bet

I thought they were just for extra storage and free rests lol. But still they're so expensive I haven't tried one yet even when I'm close to finishing the main quest. My idea is that maybe you can access them almost anywhere for less money or am I asking too much?

If you have a problem with money, you maybe doing something wrong...

Reputation is harder to get then the money ;)

Also, the house is a bonus, and like you said, you have to use expensive scrolls if you don't have one (maybe you get your problem now :lol:)

HeckThor

p4ran0id":193x2coe said:
HeckThor":193x2coe said:
p4ran0id":193x2coe said:

If you have a problem with money, you maybe doing something wrong...

Reputation is harder to get then the money ;)

Also, the house is a bonus, and like you said, you have to use expensive scrolls if you don't have one (maybe you get your problem now :lol:)

I'm not really that much familiar with EK yet tbh. As a matter of fact my lvl 20 rouge has no real build and I'm just on normal difficulty. I have to rely a lot on forums and wikis just to get by in the game. I also made some horrible purchases before I knew the tavern and quicksaving trick lol. Lastly I'm a health potion hoarder ( I spend much gold buying potions before/after a dungion crawl). For now I have around 40k gold .

p4ran0id

Staff member
That's the reason (for me) why the game is so awesome. You find something new and you can do it better next time. To take away all the competition/hardness will only destroy that game.

Btw, I spend over 300h with this game, that's why I like it. You always find something new and try it again.