mage class weakness - unfortunately

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny606

hi.
great job with new update (no sarcasm -i'm happy with it but have few notices)
I tried play EK by mage character and i dissappointingly realized that something is really wrong with it.

first of all - you are not getting better mage along the leveling up; there are only few skills that can develop dependently to other factors:

lightning bolt - damage grows with level
mana surge - mana grows with level
staff mastery - damage grows with intelligence
disintegrate - damage grows with level

And only these skills are worth spending points on them. On the other hand we have warroir character whose skills are mostly passive and you can ADD effect of one to another (i.e. developing the battle rage + cleave skills) meaning you are more effective during combat after each level.
No such thing concerns Mage class. You can either summon elemental of fire or of earth on some level. there is no difference if you are on level 12 or 24 or if you have INT 4 or - the beast would be the same, as well as your firball's damage, etc.
I can level to max ice storm, and then fireball but it's pointless - it doesn't make my mage more powerfull (only more flexible) as the damage from these skills are constant.

now i am at 12 level but still have 4 traits and 6 skill points to locate but i will not, because it is not reasonable - would be a waste of them. If the effects of mage skills would be more linked to level or traits then playing this character for sure will be more well-founded.

Second thing - mana bar :(
i strongly recommend to make it regenerable a little bit in further update. maybe i'm lazy and don't want to inn sleep each time my mana reach the depth, but it's irritating when playing the mage class i can't use spells or i can use them few times after which my character become an archer in the meaning of method of fighting. (maybe we should develop archery skills? some are available for mages - i hope)
of course there are some mana potions in game - great, BUT i couldn't find the shop with them!
mage without mana is usless, and the playing is not funny any more. it's first game i saw with non-regenerable mana for wizards.

please consider aboves. i will keep my save for better times, but now return to warrior.

Mod Note: Moved to feedback.

Atomos

It's true that the damage of many spells is fixed, but as you level up, you can cast more of those, and you forgot, that their damage is massive. 42-84 of 4th level fireball spell is no joke. About 10 of those can roast white dragon.

toopa

Translator
I think Mana is fine, although the damage spells get really expensive when maxed out, guess they should be cheaper. I noticed too that mage has many "fixed" values, but have you tried cleric? Imo they are far worse. I gave them a shot again on Ironman difficulty and god, I didn't know what I should do with my skill points at level 3 or 4 because most skills are just useless :roll:

randomperson

This is pretty much better than cleric (in my opinion),mana regeneration?(that's pretty cool and insane idea?)and mage weakness..... let's see... lightning were way to weak(to most enemy in this game, especially against demon) fireball......most end-game enemy had high fire resistant, blizzard .....nah I am never dared to use this one,fire mastery and ice mastery(hmm there's a ton disadvantages (maybe)at em)earth mastery dealt equal damage against all mob(but weak towards acid).....well it's pretty balanced tough.....and I wish mage had more better equipment set (and a magic sword,just like arcane Knight)

VDX_360

Staff member
Are you playing a Wand or Staff mage? What's your fighting tactic? Are you pressing too far, too fast? Other details?

Wand mages will see some improvements to durability soon, as the wand build is supposed to be the more durable build (lower DPS, better chance of living).

Mages, as a class, are glass cannons. Capable of wiping out enemies of a much higher level, but easily killed if cornered. Traps are also a bane for mages (Mage Barrier invulnerability to traps is being reduced a little, but still solid).

VDX_360

Staff member
johnny606":2c65zqfw said:
of course there are some mana potions in game - great, BUT i couldn't find the shop with them!

The Wiki is here to help you!

Places that carry Lessor Mana Potions
http://www.exiledkingdoms.com/wiki/inde ... on_of_Mana

Places that drop Mana Potions
(might need to farm a few of them to keep on hand)
http://www.exiledkingdoms.com/wiki/inde ... on_of_Mana

Every wizard tower sells Deepfrost Cognac, which recovers 20 mana and 10 HP

See wiki for other items that recover mana.

VDX_360

Staff member
johnny606":jaxkd4qy said:
I can level to max ice storm, and then fireball but it's pointless - it doesn't make my mage more powerfull (only more flexible) as the damage from these skills are constant.
Yes, there's no level increase in those skills, but as a mage increase in level, the increased mana pool allows casting more spells. In the case you provided, having a max ice storm AND a maxed fireball would allow two strong attacks to be fired back to back.

A common attack for spell builds, is to use Lightning Bolt as an opening attack (damage and stun chance), than follow up with secondary spells such as fireball or ice.

VDX_360

Staff member
johnny606":xmotxbs6 said:
.. it's first game i saw with non-regenerable mana for wizards
A player starts off with two recoveries and can get two more through using skill points so the game does have a mana/health regeneration feature, just not the type you're requesting.

I think a common theme through your post is a frustration from what you think the game should do and what the game actually does, which can be quite frustrating. The game is designed to be a hard, long, and old-school style game. It's not supposed to be easy or a duplicate of every-other-mobile-game-out-there. The game strives to be an unique game. It's quite fun, but you have to learn it's rules or you'll keep hitting your head against that quit-rage wall.

And the mage class is not the easiest class. While the mage class can be insanely powerful, they are vulnerable, esp at lower levels. Which means a lot of careful planning in combat tactics, etc. Part of combat tactics is understanding that increasing the damage of a spell means you'll burn through your mana pool faster. How to balance damage output with mana limitations is part of the game.

The mage is also the newest class, just added, so there's a lot of room for tweaking the class or figuring out what works. On that end, the Developer is making some adjustments with the mage class (esp the wand builds) in the next update or so.

If you are truly hating the mage class, which is okay to do, feel encouraged to play as a warrior, or another class that you enjoy playing.

The game is supposed to be fun so have fun :)

Status
Not open for further replies.