Quest description/messages history

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
From reading this comment on Steam, I get this idea that can be useful, if it is not that hard to implement.

In short, as quest progresses, we have new and new text. But, some information may be useful, or may be just nice for us to be able to reread them again.

So, maybe that each quest has, lets say + sign, which expands to all previous quest messages. And, - sign to return to not expanded (standard) version.

p4ran0id

Staff member
You could make it like advanced item descriptions. If you click on quest, you get a scrollable prompt with full history to this quest. This maybe better for overview than expand it in log

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
This is something that probably I *should* have done when I designed how quest data is stored in your saved game. Unfortunately the only thing I am keeping is the current quest status, so handling that retroactively is not possible. Something I learned for next game, I guess.

What I did is trying to give all the required information on journal entries, even repeating what has been said in previous entries to remind who the questgiver was, etc. I might have missed some, but for the most part you should always get what you need from the latest journal entry.

p4ran0id

Staff member
Is that really a problem? Most active quests are linear, if you get Quest(3) dialog, you have to pass Qest(2) and Quest(1) dialog before. Only a few quests have an option before the end.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but quests are built like
1. A->B->C (goblin hunt, coyote hunt etc)
2. A->B->C/D (secrets of the dead, the dead God, Those in Need, swine trouble)
- - - - - >B->...
3. A- (The Ark of Lothasan, Where is Amarisa?)
- - - - - ->C->...

1 and 2 is easy to implement, you have to take the actual quest description and add all descriptions that came before to the log

3. Is a bit more complicated to build in. But since the description tells all necessary information, it's still possible.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
p4ran0id":3lxnxxez said:
Is that really a problem? Most active quests are linear.

The difference between "most" and "all" is key here, you know. Plenty of quests have alternate possibilities, even if it's an early entry like "I haven't accepted the quest yet". And those would look chaotic. I could somehow mark all the quests with branching to not show steps, but those would be the quests that most people would like to read steps about, like Ark of Lothasan, Prodigal Daughter, Snake Gang, Honor Among thieves, Price of Freedom, Lady of Night, etc.

Plus as the journal entries took this limitation into account, they tend to repeat over a lot of information that would need to be removed.

I'm not saying it's impossible to go around all this, I mean, we humans sent a man to the moon so surely I can refactor EK journal system :D I just think that, in the current context, my time would be better spent on other features.

p4ran0id

Staff member
Yes you're right

Ps: I hope you know that the moon landing is a Hollywood production. It only looks realistic, because it was filmed at original locations! :D

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
DavidBVal":2h24ngo8 said:
I just think that, in the current context, my time would be better spent on other features.
Of course, if it isn't easily doable, it isn't worth wasting your time.