Thoughts on Arcane wands/staves and hired mercs

Cuckoorex

I'm not a big fan of the Arcane attribute of wands and staves; I feel like the single-hit damage and DPS on most of them is not so much higher than those which are not arcane, so I pretty much only keep a Wand of Scorching around in case I run into trolls, but really get the most use out of Staff of Storms, which is pretty much the best non-arcane Mage weapon out there. The reason I eschew the arcane items is simply because I use up mana way too quickly and would rather reserve it for actual spells. Am I missing out much by doing so?

Hired mercenaries really get pretty useless once you get past maybe 6th or 7th level; maybe they should scale up some with the player's level? I think it might be useful if there was some indication when talking to a prospective hireling of what level they are, rather than "Oh, that one's more expensive than the other one, so I guess he's better?"

Tyler_Durden

**Hired mercenaries really get pretty useless once you get past maybe 6th or 7th level; maybe they should scale up some with the player's level? I think it might be useful if there was some indication when talking to a prospective hireling of what level they are, rather than "Oh, that one's more expensive than the other one, so I guess he's better?"**

I agree that Hired Mercenaries pack a far less punch in groups after a certain point. Its understandable that a three man party with summons may be too OP, so the extra mercenary wasn't scaled with players.
However on that point, if it would be too OP to scale damage and skills of mercenaries, just increase their HP respectively so they can at least help with crowd control or tank a bit. They don't have to be great, they just have to be useful.

Cuckoorex

Right, maybe a HP boost would be enough, not necessarily DPS. I mean, these guys go down after one wolf, how much of a waste of money is it to hire them to go into an actual dungeon when they can't survive the trip there?