My thoughts about the game

RPGamer

Firstly, I just want to state that I LOVE this game, but it does have (in my opinion) a LOT of issues. Below I'll list my issues with the game:
1) it's just too hard...even on the lowest difficulty some of the quests are just too difficult.for instance, Call of Blood. You can get Call of Blood when you reach level 13, but the thing is, my highest level character is level 20 and still can't get anywhere close to being able to complete the quest. Why would you allow players to start quests at a relatively low level, only for them to find out that it'll be a million in-game years before they could ever possible hope to complete them? Most of the quests in the game are like this...you start them long before you have a chance of being able to complete them, and the game forces you to either spend a LOT of money on gear and potions, or do waaaaayyyyy too much grinding to level up and get stronger...which leads me to my next issue
2) it takes too dang long to level up. Even with a relatively high Intellect and gear with the Wisdom effect, it just takes way too long to level up. They should either increase the amount of XP enemies give, or reduce the amount of XP needed to level up. Up until around level 13 it isn't too bad, but after that it just completely takes the fun out of the game because you have to just grind for hours on end just to gain a single level
3) underpowered gear. Some of the weapons in the game take far too much effort to obtain for little to no reward. Namely, Sonnet and Branch of the Holy Tree. Sonnet is actually a good weapon, but considering how much effort you go through to obtain the darn thing (fighting through dozens of bandits multiple times, solving riddles, wandering the land searching for specific items, then having to finish the whole thing by defeating a boss) it's a wee bit lackluster. As for the Branch of the Holy Tree: why even bother putting it in the game? By the time anyone could ever possibly be strong enough to fight their way through all the bears and hill giants (and the wraith) it's a pretty safe bet that they've already obtained far better weapons.
4) Vorators and Archers. They're OP as all heck! Even with a high armor rating, both vorators and Archers do insane amounts of damage. My characters are strong enough at this point to be surrounded by multiple enemies and they'll still usually come out victorious, but stick 1 or two Archers or vorators in front of me, and I get killed in seconds. Oh, and it's probably just a glitch, but did I mention that archers can shoot me THROUGH WALLS?!?!
5) rogue evasion ability. A minor complaint which isnt very significant, but the evasion ability could do with a bit of improvement. The ability only avoids damage, so occasionally enemies will hit rogues, and it cancels out the damage but your character will still get stunned, paralyzed, and or pushed back. Not only does this not make sense (the whole idea of evading an attack is to move out of the way, therefore taking no damage or effects from it) but it's just really disappointing when you use evasion hoping to save yourself from dying...and you end up taking no damage for a few seconds, but you still get killed due to being stunned or paralyzed

Bans1x

Ok firstly its a hardcore rpg its supposed to be hard and secondly you just need to think of a strategy you wont be able to beat a boss by just sitting there and punching him without doing anything you have to kite it wait for your skills to reset then attack him again with your skills you might fail a bunch but you can try again and again until you beat him i with a lvl 13 warrior killed a giant chief hes lvl 19 and got the spirit cleaver it was very rewarding the cleaver is OP in early level even in the higher levels you have to have patience its a hard game its not like diablo you have to try to kill things xd ohh and you can shoot through some terrain as well you cant shoot through walls but you can shoot through trees and cavern spikes and such hope my reply helped you understand more of this game

RPGamer

Bans1x":2u7nq5x6 said:
Ok firstly its a hardcore rpg its supposed to be hard and secondly you just need to think of a strategy you wont be able to beat a boss by just sitting there and punching him without doing anything you have to kite it wait for your skills to reset then attack him again with your skills you might fail a bunch but you can try again and again until you beat him i with a lvl 13 warrior killed a giant chief hes lvl 19 and got the spirit cleaver it was very rewarding the cleaver is OP in early level even in the higher levels you have to have patience its a hard game its not like diablo you have to try to kill things xd ohh and you can shoot through some terrain as well you cant shoot through walls but you can shoot through trees and cavern spikes and such hope my reply helped you understand more of this game
Firstly: isn't Diablo like one of the hardest games on the planet? That's not a fair comparison because not a lot of people have the skill or time necessary to successfully play games like that. I can understand the developers wanting to give it a bit of challenge, but as I stated earlier: the game forces you to either spend way too much money on potions and gear or grind for XP which takes far too long.
Second: it's nice saying fancy stuff like "you gotta use strategies" and stuff like that to make yourself seem smart, but frankly, it just doesn't work for this game...all the enemies have a tendency to completely ignore my companions and only attack me. As much as I'd like to able to let my companions take a few swings at enemies/bosses while I let my skills cooldowns, I just can't because the enemies just follow me wherever I go....which inevitably gets me killed because now I'm surrounded by enemies and my companion can't get to me fast enough to help me kill them

Zalvarez0627

Loreseeker
What class and difficulty are you on? You mentioned evasion, so I assume you're a rogue; if so, it's a harder class to use than warrior or cleric for most people because it's so soft. My first playthrough was as a normal warrior and my second playthrough was as an iron man cleric, and I didn't see any of the problems you mentioned.

There are a number of things that will make the game much easier for you. If you aren't a cleric, USE HIRGE. I usually get Hirge around level 9, and this triples your health. Give Hirge one active skill--Heal--and then a bunch of passive skills. This should help a lot, especially with rogue.

Second, use the wiki. My first try on Call of the Blood, I was level 18 and didn't get close to finishing it. The entry for Call of the Blood tells you how to beat it more easily: sprint past the undead army by paralyzing them; don't fight Andrys Storme; ignore the vampires in the Temple until the fountains are clean; fight the two bosses one at a time. It is a tad annoying that you get this quest at level 13, though.

You also say that leveling up takes too long. That's true, but consider the sheer amount of quests and content. I never had to "grind" for xp until level 21 or so--until then, there's always a quest you can do, a secret you can find, or a boss you can defeat. I didn't even really think about leveling up from 14-17 because I was so focused on collecting shards.

The problem with vorators seems like a build problem. They're tough, but with you and a companion flanking them, they shouldn't be hard to take down. If you're still having trouble, check the wiki for their elemental weaknesses.

As for underpowered gear, most of it isn't underpowered if you get it as soon as you can. Sonnet is actually very strong early on, I got it at level 16 or so. If you use the wiki to figure out the riddles, you only have to get through the castle once; and if you know the boss is a Nightwalker, you can bring potions, gear, and scrolls of paralyze undead.

This game is supposed to be pretty hard, especially if you choose a hard class. It was 60+ hours of gameplay for each run through, for me, and some parts are definitely a challenge. How you want to play is totally up to you. The wiki will tell you which quests you can complete at each level, tips and tricks for completing them, where all the awesome gear and hardest bosses are, and how to make killing enemies easier. If you want the thrill of discovering everything yourself and figuring out all the riddles, it might be more fun for you, but don't expect it to be a cakewalk.

TL;DR

-Non-cleric = GET HIRGE
-Never grind for xp. Do quests and kill bosses.
-Use skill/trait points wisely. Ask around on the forums.
-wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki

As for the "strategies" someone else mentioned:
-Use the wiki to find an awesome thing (like branch of holy tree). Sprint to it. Recall. It's a solid way to get great weapons early on, or even Amulet of Dark Whispers with stun immunity super early.

-If a monster won't do what you want, leave the area and come back. This will usually make it switch targets.

-Flank whenever possible.

-Make either you or your companion a meat shield and let the other do most of the damage.

RPGamer

Zalvarez0627":1shcpm2g said:
What class and difficulty are you on? You mentioned evasion, so I assume you're a rogue; if so, it's a harder class to use than warrior or cleric for most people because it's so soft. My first playthrough was as a normal warrior and my second playthrough was as an iron man cleric, and I didn't see any of the problems you mentioned.

There are a number of things that will make the game much easier for you. If you aren't a cleric, USE HIRGE. I usually get Hirge around level 9, and this triples your health. Give Hirge one active skill--Heal--and then a bunch of passive skills. This should help a lot, especially with rogue.

Second, use the wiki. My first try on Call of the Blood, I was level 18 and didn't get close to finishing it. The entry for Call of the Blood tells you how to beat it more easily: sprint past the undead army by paralyzing them; don't fight Andrys Storme; ignore the vampires in the Temple until the fountains are clean; fight the two bosses one at a time. It is a tad annoying that you get this quest at level 13, though.

You also say that leveling up takes too long. That's true, but consider the sheer amount of quests and content. I never had to "grind" for xp until level 21 or so--until then, there's always a quest you can do, a secret you can find, or a boss you can defeat. I didn't even really think about leveling up from 14-17 because I was so focused on collecting shards.

The problem with vorators seems like a build problem. They're tough, but with you and a companion flanking them, they shouldn't be hard to take down. If you're still having trouble, check the wiki for their elemental weaknesses.

As for underpowered gear, most of it isn't underpowered if you get it as soon as you can. Sonnet is actually very strong early on, I got it at level 16 or so. If you use the wiki to figure out the riddles, you only have to get through the castle once; and if you know the boss is a Nightwalker, you can bring potions, gear, and scrolls of paralyze undead.

This game is supposed to be pretty hard, especially if you choose a hard class. It was 60+ hours of gameplay for each run through, for me, and some parts are definitely a challenge. How you want to play is totally up to you. The wiki will tell you which quests you can complete at each level, tips and tricks for completing them, where all the awesome gear and hardest bosses are, and how to make killing enemies easier. If you want the thrill of discovering everything yourself and figuring out all the riddles, it might be more fun for you, but don't expect it to be a cakewalk.

TL;DR

-Non-cleric = GET HIRGE
-Never grind for xp. Do quests and kill bosses.
-Use skill/trait points wisely. Ask around on the forums.
-wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki

As for the "strategies" someone else mentioned:
-Use the wiki to find an awesome thing (like branch of holy tree). Sprint to it. Recall. It's a solid way to get great weapons early on, or even Amulet of Dark Whispers with stun immunity super early.

-If a monster won't do what you want, leave the area and come back. This will usually make it switch targets.

-Flank whenever possible.

-Make either you or your companion a meat shield and let the other do most of the damage.
You obviously didn't pay ANY attention to anything I said...
1) I have three different characters going right now and all of them are on the lowest difficulty. I have a lvl 20 rogue, lvl 20 cleric, and a lvl 5 mage
2)hirge doesn't help at all...she always takes damage too quickly and the healing only affects her because she's constantly low in health
3) I do use the wiki. Even following all the tips and tricks in the wiki, my most powerful character (Jasmine Dillworth lvl 20 cleric) couldn't complete the quest Call of Blood. I did get close, however, as I was able get all the way to the temple of blood and pour water on all the fountains. Where she faltered, was that Grissenda was knocked out by all the skeletons and vampires while I was taking care of the fountains, and she wasn't strong enough to take on both bosses by herself (I should have made Grissenda wait in a safe area while I took care of the fountains, then at least I might have stood a chance with Grissenda helping me) and FYI: it's impossible to fight the bosses 1 at a time...the wiki says you can use a scroll to paralyze the vampire and lure the Baron away, but that's a straight up lie. The scroll only works for like 2 seconds so you still end up with both bosses following you
4) as for quests: yes, there a lot of them, but as I said earlier, you always obtain them long before you ever possibly have a chance of completing them, so you and anyon else claiming to not have to grind, is either trolling or straight up lying
5) maybe I do need to improve my build a little, but even so, vorators and Archers both need a serious nerf. As stated earlier, even with high armor they do ridiculously high amounts of damage. They don't take to long to kill, but because of the insane damage they do, I can only kill a few before having to heal
6) I tried sprinting to the branch of the holy tree....I couldn't get anywhete near it. The crimson hills are such narrow spaces and the high concentration of enemies (plus the bear traps) makes it impossible to run past them all, so I'll reiterate what I stated earlier: you have to just be strong enough to fight your way through, and by that point you probably already have a better wand/staff
7) I literally CANT flank because I'll say it again, THE ENEMIES ALWAYS TARGET ME. They mostly ignore my companion and only go for me. Usually only the 1 enemy that my companion is attacking, is the one enemy thats NOT attacking MY character

Zalvarez0627

Loreseeker
When you try to help someone and they bite your head off :roll:

RPGamer":1rby2g1p said:
You obviously didn't pay ANY attention to anything I said...
no u

You never said anywhere what your classes, difficulty levels, builds, operating system, or version are. All of that is helpful. We can't give you good advice if you don't tell us anything.

Hirge doesn't help at all...she always takes damage too quickly
hol up your #1 problem was that you always take all the damage and mobs won't switch targets...so...not sure where to go with this. AS MENTIONED BEFORE you never told us your build--Crusader 3 gives Hirge 5% stun chance which will help a bunch.

Grissenda was knocked out by all the skeletons and vampires
Did you kill all the mobs after cleaning the fountains and then wait for Grissenda to be revived? Or did you use a Scroll: Circle of Restoration?

For fighting the bosses, you have FOUR seconds to get away from the Vampire Elder. Stand near a door -> Paralyze elder -> Go through with Dobros -> Stand behind a wall so the Elder doesn't notice you. It's all about potions--do a couple Sunken runthroughs if possible, and kill some Outlaws if you can't.

you always obtain quests long before you ever possibly have a chance of completing them
If you're truly having this problem, click here. All you had to do was ask. Calling me a liar and/or a troll doesn't seem like the best move.

vorators and Archers both need a serious nerf
I'm fully confused by why you're having difficulty with these. Here, at 1:51, someone easily takes down similar-level archers. Here, at 2:31, someone easily takes down vorators. Stun can be hard to deal with, admittedly, which is why I suggested cheesing the Amulet of Dark whispers, or just getting Battle Rage.

by that point you probably already have a better wand/staff
We can argue all day about whether certain weapons become obsolete too early. That's not the point. Other than a few items, I would say the game is balanced pretty well, and pretty much every item in the game is useful at some point to some build. If you're a mage with a better wand, and you fight your way to the Branch, you just gained 750 gold AND you're 2/3 of the way to a potion of lesser restoration and some xp.

But just for kicks, since I like arguing, the Branch is the earliest Spirit-damage Mage weapon you can get by 3-5 levels...and it's the ONLY spirit damage Wand. Everything is useful at some point to some build; don't complain because it doesn't help you.

THE ENEMIES ALWAYS TARGET ME
Short of a full combat tutorial, I'm not sure how to help you here.
Two very important points:
1. Enemies "lock on" to the closest target. If you want that to be you, tell your companion to wait, then approach the enemy. It will attack you and your companion will attack it. You can then circle around and attack it from the other side, so your companion flanks.

2. Only one enemy can be in a doorway at a time. When facing a swarm, tell your companion to wait by a doorway, then pull all the mobs next to the door. One will go through and attack you. Your companion will attack them with you. If you want them to switch targets, back up out of range, then continue attacking once it locks onto your companion.

Also consider that, if multiple targets are in range and an enemy isn't "locked on" (e.g after stun/entering an area), it will always choose you. If one target backs out of range and another is available, it will switch targets instead of moving.

Basically, dude, look at 2:31 and if you aren't doing that, start.

All of your issues seem like personal problems. That is fine. But the game has been developed and balanced for 2+ years, so if something seems too hard, you likely need to change something rather than the developer.

Please also consider that I and Bans1x are doing our best to help you. I've had 11 months of experience and have beaten the game on hardcore. That doesn't make me perfect, but I spent over an hour typing up this reply and searching for links. When you blow off everything I say, it feels like you're saying my time is worthless. Tell me if I'm misunderstanding something or not explaining myself clearly, because I legitimately want to help you get better and figure out any trouble you're having.

P.S. this. Also, some legend beat the Dimensional Parasite as a level 16 cleric, but I can't find the link. It's all about practice, experimenting, and learning from others :)

RPGamer

I've been doing some thinking....
Firstly: I would like to apologise. All the suggestions people we're making kinda made me feel bad, but thats no excuse to be rude.
Second: I think a lot of my issues might stem from poor character building. Usually I just try to get as much of everything as possible, but with games like this you really have to pick and choose what skills/perks best suit your playstyle to be successful.

So, Im going to start a new game, and I'm going to try and go for a warrior "Destroyer" (my own name for it...hope it's not copywrigjted or something) build. The new character will focus mostly on attack, and pretty much abandon defense (hence the name Destroyer. Powerful but vulnerable) below I'll list my idea for the build:
Skills: He'll use Two Handed Expert, Charge, Whirlwind, and possibly Resilience to compensate for the lack of defense (since I won't put any points in endurance, or use the Body Development perk)
Traits: Strength 4, Agility 6, Intellect 1, Awareness 1 (minimum requirements for the advanced Skills I wanna use)
Advanced Skills: Precision Strikes, Massive Criticals, and Flurry. Hopefully all three combined will allow my character to deal lots of damage very quickly. I'm also considering learning the advanced skill Heavyhand, just to help ensure that even if I don't get a critical, I'll still do a decent amount of damage

What are everyone's thoughts on this proposed "Destroyer" build of mine?
Oh, and just FYI: I have limited data every month, so i won't watch any videos anyone links to...I could, but then I'd burn through the data in like half a day, and my family needs it since they work from home

Zalvarez0627

Loreseeker
RPGamer":2dee1keo said:
He'll use Two Handed Expert, Charge, Whirlwind, and possibly Resilience to compensate for the lack of defense (since I won't put any points in endurance, or use the Body Development perk)
Traits: Strength 4, Agility 6, Intellect 1, Awareness 1 (minimum requirements for the advanced Skills I wanna use)
Advanced Skills: Precision Strikes, Massive Criticals, and Flurry. Hopefully all three combined will allow my character to deal lots of damage very quickly. I'm also considering learning the advanced skill Heavyhand, just to help ensure that even if I don't get a critical, I'll still do a decent amount of damage

I'm not very familiar with warrior but this looks solid. I would recommend swapping Cleave for Whirlwind if you're having trouble with enemy groups, and Duel for Whirlwind if you aren't. With this level of damage, you don't particularly need a skill for swarms.

Endurance is probably worth at least a point or two. The trait points are negligible at this point anyway, so you might as well get some cheap bonus HP.

Light spoiler:
You MUST have AWA 5 to achieve the best outcome in the end-game quest. You must also have either INT 5 or PER 5. This can be obtained with gear. You'll be fine if you don't have this, but you'll have to face a tough boss and miss out on a unique PER 2 necklace.

Go to The Ark of Lothasan for heavier spoilers.

The Warrior-Build-Blood Thirster on the wiki looks pretty similar to yours. I don't know how effective it is, but it also shows (slightly outdated) gear and DPS, which might be useful in figuring out how your new character will play out. Again, though, design your build to fit your playstyle. Anything will work if you use it right.

RPGamer":2dee1keo said:
So, Im going to start a new game
Just to clarify, are you resetting skill/trait points or starting a new character? A clean slate can be nice but it's not really necessary unless you want to switch guilds.

RPGamer

I'm starting a completely new game. And to clarify: the general idea of the build would be to deal a lot of damage very quickly (to kill enemies before they kill me, since as I stated, I probably won't spend a lot of time on endurance or body development). In combat, I'd start by rushing in with Charge, then follow up with Whirlwind. If at that point any enemies are (somehow) still standing, the combined power of Precision Strikes and Massive Criticals should finish off any survivors. Flurry would mostly be for bosses, but it could also help if I were to be swarmed by enemies (such as the headless enemies (can't remember what they're called) during the quest Call of Blood in the same room as the executioner) Both Whirlwind and Charge could help prevent swarming as well. As stated earlier, I might also put some time into the Resilience skill to help compensate for the lower health. Resilience would mostly be for bosses (probably), since the one-two combo of Charge and Whirlwind followed up with Precision Strikes and Massive Criticals would likely take out weaker enemies pretty quickly. I've mostly got the build figured out, now I need to figure out which companion would be best to accompany this particular character. Probably not Adaon, since he's got low health and armor. Maybe if I made him an archery focused build, but that's difficult until you do his quest and unlock advanced Skills for him. Grissenda might be a good choice. She's already pretty defence oriented (she uses the skill that gives extra armor while using a shield..can't remember the name) when you meet her, and I could improve that further by letting her have high health (via endurance, and eventually perhaps body development) and she could also use Resilience. She would mostly act as a tank in case I have to retreat and distract enemies while I heal/wait for skills to recharge. As I'm sure you've guessed, I'm not too fond of Hirge, but the healing could help keep me alive if I can find a way to keep Hirge alive. Nivarias Barrier could help in that regard as well as the ability that adds armor and death resistance (don't know why I can't remember anything right now)

p4ran0id

Staff member
RPGamer":weoa0d8y said:
I'm starting a completely new game. And to clarify: the general idea of the build would be to deal a lot of damage very quickly (to kill enemies before they kill me, since as I stated, I probably won't spend a lot of time on endurance or body development).

Hehe, if you want max damage, better choose a rogue.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16033

The record I've seen so far is that guy. 354 dps ;)

viewtopic.php?p=49522#p49520