Mage class, and Scrolls

KimPera

here's an idea: INT requisite to use scrolls. Otherwise Personality seems to be a much more useful trait, and I see it more often in conversation options.

Scroll of Recall could be the only one usable by everyone, the rest (currently I've only found the Detect Secrets one but I guess more will come) could have a requisite of minimum 1, often more. That way, scrolls would be a "mage thing, but yeah, other people can also use them sometimes". It could be the way to have mages be very versatile, by making them inscribe scrolls.

You could put a mana requisite on the more powerful ones, so they can't be spammed and can't be cast by warrior/rogue.

Ideas for Scrolls:

"Scroll of Teleport: Wizard Tower X" takes you to that place.
"Scroll of Haste" accelerates whole party.
"Scroll of Lightning / Fireball... whatever powers the Wizard will have"

So what do you think. Uh, thread was about travel, sorry :geek:

TinMarjs

A few thoughts on Mage…
Survivability needs to be playable, and I think the idea of a mage should be able to solo at levels, and with the use of companions be something that continues to scale and not over power.
The use of Orbs, Wands “special” wizard only Rings and necklaces, and the wearing of robes would feel right.
Mage -------------
Starting HP 25
HP per Level 3
Starting MP 18
MP per Level 2+2 per point INT

Some ideas of Basic abilities:
“Magic Bolt” as concept skill that can grow per level. Single target with damage like “Stab”,and at higher levels could have a small burst
“Craft” to use components to create items by level.
“Shield” To protect self (+2 Armor, per level, bonus health that is used first), higher levels protect group with armor and bonus health.
“Stun, or Sleep” to effect larger areas per level.
“Magic Expert” Bonus to magic damage by wand, orb or something else.
“Domain Expert” pick an element to gain additional damage and protection in. Higher levels gain 2nd, 3rd element and additional bonus.
• “Blast” Requires domain expert, then can use domain equivalent area blast.
“Doubleganger” An illusion of yourself that enemies attack.
“Teleport” move from one place on the map to another place.
• “Recall” Higher level teleport to last town slept in.
“Detect” Aura that last for a time, to find hidden things, at higher levels It could see behind doors.

Some thoughts…..

Grim Reaper

David what about this.. in case u decided to make a game longer.. and it will prolly be a way longer for 1 more year... how about adding skill req for all skills (either lvl or trait or both..) and adding more lvls? otherwise mages will suck at l8er lvls and would be quite op on starting lvls which would make it very unbalanced...