Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

life tiger

So.... how would it feel like to die? The reason I'm vomiting this crap here is cuz I cant talk about it in real life... it would end in a "why are you so miserable? I hate you for that!" Or "yep... no thanks... bye... forever..." ooor "well you have a problem time to go back to the mental hospital Mr tiger" well I can't stop thinking about it and hope to get a different answer here... like what would happen after death? That moment when all of existence is deleted with you and you can't do any thing... apart from every plane flight my parents are making me go to this is the most scary thing I can think of... like when I think about this too much I feel like every thing in the world just falls... did you ever think of this?

Roukan

Loreseeker
So death is the scariest thing you can think of. I wonder why.

In my case, fear of death comes from the prospect of experiencing an excruciating pain at the moment of, or moments leading up to death. As far as I'm aware, the classical experience of pain that we're all familiar with that involves the thalamus and cerebral cortex requires that a person be conscious; it's debatable though. I mean, pain is still transmitted via the nervous system and received, but you shouldn't be aware of it. Although cell death could take up to a few minutes after the flow of blood stops, loss of consciousness happens much quicker. In any case, I'm quite compelled to believe that once the heart gives out on you, due to anything from cardiac arrest to a knife stab for example, the conscious experience of pain is fleeting. It's a different story for the people who bleed to death over a longer duration due to less severe wounds though; now that's scary.

I find myself quite incapable of comprehending one's post-death experience as anything other than a cessation of consciousness. Once the frontal lobe ceases to function and one lacks the ability to experience conscious thought, it's really the end. Some might compare this to a dreamless sleep. Does that sound scary? Suppose you're really tired and just fell into a deep sleep. Do you, while asleep, concern yourself with what happens around you?

On a personal note, my grandfather passed away quite recently from cancer. I'd visited him at the hospice every other day. By his labored breathing and tensed facial muscles, he seemed to be in constant pain. He was constantly falling in and out of consciousness, seemingly unaware of everything around him. When his time finally came, he appeared to be sound asleep; not a sign of discomfort. I know it's a little presumptuous and cold of me to say so, but it seemed to me that he wasn't even aware of his final moments. If you view it in that perspective, perhaps a natural death isn't so scary. The world just went on without him; he could finally enjoy a long dreamless sleep after suffering for so long.

Sure it's good to practice self-preservation and live a safe healthful life, but the way I see it, when it's time to go, it's time to go.

On a side note, statistically, car travel is more dangerous than travel by airplane. Here's a fun read. http://traveltips.usatoday.com/air-travel-safer-car-travel-1581.html

life tiger

With all my flights I might just have that chance and I don't care about the pain when dieing the scary thing is that nothing happens after it

SirDonkalot

Its something that happens to all of us soon or later and i think there is a reason.

If you see it from the other side, if you would live forever, and fall down in a dark hole - what would you do then ? your worst case being stuck in "nothing" would of come true.

There is a chance nature has your back if stuff goes suddenly wrong with your current self ;)

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
Roukan":1uw3tnsc said:
I find myself quite incapable of comprehending one's post-death experience as anything other than a cessation of consciousness. Once the frontal lobe ceases to function and one lacks the ability to experience conscious thought, it's really the end.
From all possible options what happens when someone dies, this is certainly the best possible option there is. I mean, in my opinion, of course.

All other options in smaller or greater degree speak about continuing what happened during life, with certain differences, depending on particular option.

When we speak about complete lack of consciousness, this means that "there's no one home", i.e. there's no one who would worry about anything. It is not like a dream. In dream you dream. Here, there's no you, no oneself, no nothing (i.e. no anything :D).

So, this sounds too good to be true.

I think we aren't that lucky. I think we still have a lot of troubles and adventures. Sorry for this bad news. :(

BTW, what you described about your grandpa, they say that souls starts to disconnect from body few days (usually 2-3) before death in case when death isn't sudden. And this means that physical discomfort lessens to stops altogether. Probably you noticed that.

Board Troll

About death....

These are my thoughts and perspectives on the topic. As humans, we are social beings. We are born into this lifestyle. We all have people who have taken care of us and we have all helped care for someone else at some point. As we grow, we get accustomed to seeking help from others for difficult situations. Even unknown situations are psychologically less stressful if we have someone else to share the experience with.

Death, well, we all face it alone. Even if surrounded by friends and family, the moment that it happens is a completely isolated experience and because we don't know absolutely everything about what comes next, for some, it can be scary.

There is comfort in knowing that you WILL get through it, and I believe that there is more than nothing at all after life here ends. I believe it's far more incredible than any of us can grasp and we, indeed, are all part of something wonderful.

I give you this advice, do good work and invest in love and kindness for even if you are not of faith, living in this way will make your life more enjoyable and bring joy to your heart and peace to your mind.

Farewell,

Troll

life tiger

Well now it makes want to not post a wall of text of how I'm everyone doesn't want to do a thing for me... oh wait I already started... but maybe that's why I have this death fear

Xen

Loreseeker
Maybe you don't fear death at all. Just the thought of emptiness and there comes a time when no one remembers that you ever existed in this world.

life tiger

Xen":2mnlphvs said:
Maybe you don't fear death at all. Just the thought of emptiness and there comes a time when no one remembers that you ever existed in this world.

Oh wow was I drunk when I posted that last thing...? Well the thing is I don't want to stop existing I can't even think of how nothing would feel and I'm already not remembered... when your alone for so long you'll get used to it... aaaaand probably start getting depressed and then start going insane for me... I'm already on the insane part and I don't care if I'm not remembered after I die if I die all the stuff I did in my life are gone

pedrinho

Translator
Board Troll":3tkzfmeq said:
I give you this advice, do good work and invest in love and kindness for even if you are not of faith, living in this way will make your life more enjoyable and bring joy to your heart and peace to your mind.
Troll

Said it all!
By the way, good words even for a man, let alone for a troll!
;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.