Can you help me w armor, health, resistances?

FrvrY

Hello, everyone!

Looking for an advanced advices here about the subject. By the 11th lvl I have gathered a lot of different armors and rings. Somewhere on the forum I saw David's post about how the resistances work. I think, it would be great to see this info in The Help Hub. But I want to speak about other situations and doubts I have:

#1. I want to kill the ice dragon. I have the heal ring (+20 hp) and the cold ring (+20 cold resistance). Which one should I use and why?

#2. Does spirit resistance work as a stun resistance in this version of the game and will it help me in the war with trolls?

#3. I want to kill fire dragon. I have goblin's boots (+20 fire resistance and +3hp as I remember) and some other boots which give me armor +2 and ~+3 hp. What sholud I use and why?

In other words, what is better - health, armor or resistances and how can I learn to count the possible injuries with different things on me and minimize them versus different enemies?

feldon

Loreseeker
To be general, you can gain a lot more resistance from potions, so your equipment should mainly focus on raising your health and armor, except jewerly. This is just my thought.

1. Coin flip here. Over the course of the fight, the resistance will probably save you 20 health.

2. No. Only fire helps with trolls.

3. I'd take a fire resistance potion over the boots (offer no armor, very low level aside from the fire protection). Find whatever gives you the most armor bump.

4. At lvl 11, you will need to bring a good number of health potions and probably 2 corresponding resistance potions to take down the dragons. if you have issues with trolls, you may want to hold off until you can handle them with more ease.

FrvrY

Thanks, feldon!

Instinctively, I had understood this before and went and killed the Ice Drak with the health ring, cold resistence potions, health potions, armor potions and 2 guys in my group. But while preparing for the battle, I was thinking about all these micro problems.

And I think that it is possible to count some average numbers of injuries you get and maybe count the possibilities of killing one or another of bosses. It could be helpful when we'll get new bosses.

What I mean. Some kind of a programm. We enter the numbers (health, armor, your resistances, your possible bufs for battle, dps etc., then if we know the numbers for the boss we enter them, or just choosing boss from the list). And we get some kind of information after these manipulations. As an example - 0-10% win, 10-20% etc.

But I'm not sure ofc that it's really needed cause it's a game. A very nice game imho but still a game.

abstractsense

Loreseeker
DavidBVal":1i6jdq31 said:
Resistance is less efficient the more it goes up.

1-50 reduces damage by 1% per point (50=50% reduction)

51-100 reduces damage by .5% per point (100= 75% reduction)

101-150 reduces damage by .25% per point (150=87% reduction)

151-200 reduces damage by .12% per point (200=96% reduction)

So around 250 you reduce by 100%. It is very difficult to become completely inmune to special damage.

Is this what you mean? We can add this to the Wiki.

feldon":1i6jdq31 said:
To be general, you can gain a lot more resistance from potions...I'd take a fire resistance potion over the boots...

That's not true. Potions give you +25 resistance. There's a lot more resistance for, say, fire and toxic in the game from equipment than you can get from a potion.

But it doesn't have to be either/or equipment/potions. You can optimize it by looking at David's post. If you have over 50 base resistance, potions are not as effective, so you can try to get 30 base resistance and then always use potions if you are only looking to get to 50% resistance. That would let you focus on other equipment.

feldon":1i6jdq31 said:
Over the course of the fight, the resistance will probably save you 20 health.

??? If you're fighting the Ice Dragon, that thing hits with its cold attack for like what, 20-30? Cold resist 50 would save you 10-15 damage *per attack*.

The downside about resistance is it only affects that kind of damage. Enemies don't only do fire damage, though, they also have a physical damage component. You need armor to reduce the damage from that part. Armor reduction is shown on your character sheet under details. Armor can be less effective at reducing damage than resistance, but everything in the game does physical damage, so it's pretty important to have high armor.

FrvrY

abstractsense":190vf3pg said:

Yes, would be great.

And thanks for your answer, abstractsense, it is very useful for me and I hope for other players who are lazy in searching and thinking (counting) too much.

I've made some conclusions about preparing for the royal battles.

feldon

Loreseeker
Yeah, I was tired when I wrote that, things didn't quite come out the way I wanted. When I said you got more from res potions, I was referring to them lasting a full minute versus 12 seconds. And no single piece of armor gives better than 25 resistance. Thanks for the more clarifying post abstract.

Mr.Suspense

Loreseeker
FrvrY":336i6map said:
Thanks, feldon!

Instinctively, I had understood this before and went and killed the Ice Drak with the health ring.......
Just little off topic, what is this health ring ?

abstractsense":336i6map said:
DavidBVal":336i6map said:
Resistance is less efficient the more it goes up.

1-50 reduces damage by 1% per point (50=50% reduction)
51-100 reduces damage by .5% per point (100= 75% reduction)
101-150 reduces damage by .25% per point (150=87% reduction)
151-200 reduces damage by .12% per point (200=96% reduction)

So around 250 you reduce by 100%. It is very difficult to become completely inmune to special damage.

Yes, it should be added.

BUT, in an another post, David recommended to have 100+ resistance. It means, even the resistance is diminishing, it should not be ignored:
DavidBVal":336i6map said:
Have you completed the quests a Web of Terror and Outstanding Apprentice?

Also, you want to have a fire resistance around 100 to succeed in the Cauldron (or be higher level)

Mr.Suspense

Loreseeker
Well thats a good tip but will it help against the Fire Dragon?

Last I tried was with L10 Rouge and 78 fire resistance along with griss but could not succeed.