Dumbest questions that i have ever asked.

Tokyobell

okay. please bear with me.... i come up from different background, i am a lawyer in administrative law, the thing is i really don't know anything about IT stuff, you can call me outdated or obsolete but it got me thinking about the process behind the exiled kingdoms or any game on the store right now, and i have one question to begin with, i think this is the dumbest question that i have ever asked... is it making this game requires complicated math?

please don't be mad, curiosity kills me

side questions that is not really stupid, i want to asked David as a writer of the game about the story, we know that the game is developing from time to time, is it the story is already done or you are adjusting the story with the gameplay?

because in my opinion so far the story is perfect... amazing twist... deep and dark.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Not dumb question at all.

Once upon a time, programming games required some math to draw the graphics, yeah. Nothing advanced, but projections, vectors, things like that. Especially in the days of early 3D, math became important once more.

Nowadays there's game engines that hide all that complexity from the developer. Most of those allow you to do 3D games without much technical effort, like Unity: you drop objects, lights, actors in an editor, write code for the behavior, and that's it. It is still hard work, but a couple men in months can do what a team needed years for. Of course, the end result is often a bit... prefabricated.

That's not what I did. I programmed the 2D isometric game engine using LibGDX libraries, which certainly makes things easier for me, but I had to do most things from scratch (I wanted to :) ). It has been a bit tricky, for instance, the isometric transformations of coordinates, drawing order, and applying light effects.

But no, I wouldn't call any of that advanced math. High school math at most.

About the story, it is written regarding the "big" plot elements, but I often improvise new details as I write dialogues or quests, and I make lots of changes. I'd say it's a mix.

Tokyobell

thank you for answering my curiosity. playing a game is not a new thing , but experiencing the game from scratch including seeing the development of the game is a next level experience for me. that's what made me ask that question thank you.

btw that's a proof of high school math is not useless at all in real life, yet in real life i still don't do math and forget it all.

thanks.

abstractsense

Loreseeker
There are lots of equations floating around, even if you don't recognize them. They're all at most 'high school level', like was mentioned.

For example, you can have like an "armor equation" that determines your armor value:

armor = class bonus + agility bonus + awareness bonus + equipment bonus + spell bonus

and then a damage equation that determines how much damage you take:

damage = damage roll (e.g. a random number between 4 and 7) - armor + weapon effects

It may not be written like this in the code, but even so, the equations help you better understand and predict how things will work.