Turn Undead in Forbidden Pit

Gr8Scott

Turn undead scroll does not work on the shadows and dark presence in the forbidden pit? Am I missing something?

Gr8Scott

@Atomos your rexpose makes no sense. These are specifically catagorized as undead creatures. Turn undead exists to paralyze undead creatures. If this is not the case, "turn undead" is useless.

VDX_360

Staff member
Per the Developer's really, really old comment somewhere. Shadows are not impacted by Turn Undead.

Is that fair?

Not. Even. Close.

Is it a deliberate choice, a limitation of the code, or the product of too much friguld rum?

Can't say.

But, yeah, given Shadows have negative Spirit Resistance, any stun attack would --in theory-- stun the heck out of them.

But alas, it seems they shrug Turn Undead like Adaon shakes off responsibility.

Atomos

@Gr8Scott once you meet an undead horde, a powerful lich, or anything else that's unliving and pounding the living heck out of you, you'll be glad to have at least some scrolls ;)

Invector

This brings up a question I've had for awhile, but haven't made any real effort to find an answer. Perhaps one of you EK gurus can help.
My question is in regards to enemies that have both undead AND outsider characteristics, and how a weapon with both Holy and Banishing attributes (Spirit Cleaver, for instance) affects them. Would a strike by Spirit Cleaver deliver both +3 Holy damage (against the undead characteristic) and +3 Banishing damage (against the outsider characteristic) for a total of +6 damage? If not, how would the damage be calculated in this example?

Gr8Scott

Per the Developer's really, really old comment somewhere. Shadows are not impacted by Turn Undead
Wiki still lists them as "undead." Hence my confusion.
Thank you for the clarification.
Post automatically merged:    

once you meet an undead horde, a powerful lich, or anything else that's unliving and pounding the living heck out of you, you'll be glad to have at least some scrolls ;)
So it's just "undead" shadows that are immune to "turn undead." Are they still affected by "holy" weapons or just "turn undead?" I'm starting to get it, but I still don't think it makes sense.
And yes, I was very glad to have those scrolls in "call of blood" quest

Last edited:

Kakost

This brings up a question I've had for awhile, but haven't made any real effort to find an answer. Perhaps one of you EK gurus can help.
My question is in regards to enemies that have both undead AND outsider characteristics, and how a weapon with both Holy and Banishing attributes (Spirit Cleaver, for instance) affects them. Would a strike by Spirit Cleaver deliver both +3 Holy damage (against the undead characteristic) and +3 Banishing damage (against the outsider characteristic) for a total of +6 damage? If not, how would the damage be calculated in this example?
The answer is yes, it gives a full +6. Those bonuses stack
Post automatically merged:    

Wiki still lists them as "undead." Hence my confusion.
Thank you for the clarification.

So it's just "undead" shadows that are immune to "turn undead." Are they still affected by "holy" weapons or just "turn undead?" I'm starting to get it, but I still don't think it makes sense.
And yes, I was very glad to have those scrolls in "call of blood" quest
Yes, shadows are Undead. And Outsiders too.

Shadows are basically unliving creatures from the plane of Death or something.

They ARE affected by weapons that deal extra bonus to Undead as well as for weapons that deal extra damage to Outsiders.

Just consider that they have "Paralysis Immunity" in their "Monster Sheet" and now you'll understand. They are Undead Outsiders with "Paralysis Immunity". There you go.

VDX_360

Staff member
Typically, a weapon attribute will trigger when each label. So weapons that do Holy both Banishment damage will get the bonus from both when fighting shadows.

The challenge with the stun issue seems to stem from Shadows having negative Spirit resistance. That allows spirit weapons to do extra damage, but doesn't mesh well with the stun calculation.

If Shadows weren't immune to stun, than pretty every stun weapon would stun for full effect every hit. The negative spirit resistance would push their stun resistance to the negative.

While that might make the pit pretty easy, it would break the game.

So making Shadows immune to stun seems to be the working compromise.

If we could go back in time, making stun / paralysis resistance separate from Spirit Damage would avoid this issue.