Basic builds & gameplay tips

Neponde

Wow thanks for this great basic build compendium.
I am a brand new player and looking for a sword and board build for the warrior.
I have no problem whatsoever playing with a lot of passive abilities instead of active ones. In fact, I would prefer a lot of passive/proc abilities.

Greetings Poith
I'll make that my next one.

For now, you wont go wrong with shield, cleave, and i would recommend at least 1 point in whirlwind, if not max. Its simple to use, and will really help damage output.

Kakost

Wow thanks for this great basic build compendium.
I am a brand new player and looking for a sword and board build for the warrior.
I have no problem whatsoever playing with a lot of passive abilities instead of active ones. In fact, I would prefer a lot of passive/proc abilities.

Greetings Poith
I understand that having passive abilities rather than active ones makes life easier, but no warrior is truly complete without Charge+Bash+Whirlwind (but you need no more than a single point in each).

I've been wanting to update the 1H/Shield build, because it's the quintessential one for warriors.

Dont worry, it has a ton of passives for you to pick, I'll do that in a sec
Post automatically merged:    

Build Name - Sword and Board (Easy)
Typical playstyle: Meele, Defensive, Tank

Critical basic skills: Charge 1, Whirlwind 1, Cleave, Fury, Shield Expert 3 (prereq of Infantry Training)

Helpful basic skills: Bash 1, Resilience

Critical advance skills: Infantry Training, Body Development

Helpful advance skills: Battle Rage, HeavyHand, Duel, Precision Strikes, Massive Criticals

Trait priority: Str (High), End (High), Per 3 (prereq of Infantry Training)

Helpful tips:
1) This is probably the easiest build of all, so just have fun!

Common variations:
Light Weapons warrior - switch Str for Agi - not recommended thou for reducing hp from Body Development, but you can have Flurry if you do.

Last edited:

Neponde

Added build for sword and board (shield warrior). @Poith. "Light" weapons will be your bread and butter later, but early-mid game you will likely be switching back and forth between light and 1H weapons as you find good ones.

Sorry @Kakost. On most builds, we have been close (as meta builds are common), but on here I disagree. Agility based will outclass strength based sword n board whackers. Without flurry and duel, this class suffers heavily against later bosses. It also gives greater armor, allowing you to last longer, for your lower dps to catch up. The damage difference is not very significant between light and 1h weapons, with a few notable exceptions.

Last edited:

Kakost

Added build for sword and board (shield warrior). @Poith. "Light" weapons will be your bread and butter later, but early-mid game you will likely be switching back and forth between light and 1H weapons as you find good ones.

Sorry @Kakost. On most builds, we have been close (as meta builds are common), but on here I disagree. Agility based will outclass strength based sword n board whackers. Without flurry and duel, this class suffers heavily against later bosses. It also gives greater armor, allowing you to last longer, for your lower dps to catch up. The damage difference is not very significant between light and 1h weapons, with a few notable exceptions.
For Flurry you have to sacrifice Infantry Training basically. It's a matter of deciding between more damage or more defense.

Late game, the extra defense from higher Agi is negligible, and more than compensated by Infantry Training (removing crits). Besides, late game the biggest threat of damage comes not from physical, but from elemental sources, against which higher defense does nothing (and again, that extra defense is illusory when compared with Infantry Training).

That's a matter of style and preference. Flurry (Light-Agi) will be a bit more offensive, while Infantry Training (1H-Str) will be the super tank with low damage output (where your game will be to survive longer than the Big Bad Boss)

Neponde

For Flurry you have to sacrifice Infantry Training basically.
Why? They are not mutually exclusive.
By end game, you should be able to get them all quite easily anyways. The basic skill requirement is very low for shield warriors.

If you are thinking of the place which shall be unnamed, by then you will be high enough level by then for maxing all of the above.

Kakost

Why? They are not mutually exclusive.
By end game, you should be able to get them all quite easily anyways. The basic skill requirement is very low for shield warriors.

If you are thinking of the place which shall be unnamed, by then you will be high enough level by then for maxing all of the above.
Yes, those considerations are worthy for mid - early late game.

By late game you can indeed take both, and then doesnt make much difference being Str or Agi warrior besides preference.

But for mid game it makes a difference, where you'll have to choose which path you'll take.

I personally dont think neither is better or worse, just different (but I personally dont like light weapons lol)

Neponde

1) improved formatting and layout
2) added cleric builds
3) added Str based variant to sword n board (@Kakost)

Had a really hard time deciding whether or not to make immortal cleric its own build. Its a different enough play style it may warrant it. For now, because either of the 2 primary builds are viable as immortal cleric, i kept it as a variation.

With that, there are core builds up for all classes. I'm open to critiques and suggestions. Even if I don't include it all, I do consider input carefully, and may modify or add variations to the core builds. I could potentially even add in a couple more, if people can come up with some that are not just variations on the basics.

I have played the game for four or five years at this point, and read many forum posts by many people, and did searches while building many of these up. While not exhaustive, I did my best to create balanced builds that reflect the experience of many players over the years.

I want to focus my personal attention for now on expanding some general gameplay and class tips. After that, I'm open to adding a subsection down at the bottom for "alternative builds", that are not as viable for some reason, but still potentially fun to play.

Last edited:

Gr8Scott

What are the differences between summoner and caster? I'm having trouble envisioning a 'caster' cleric
They may not be considered that different by many on the forums especially snice guardian wolf and Battle Prayer are spells cast.

For my personal style, the main difference is Summoner 3 wolf (10 Skill points & 35 mana) doesn't allow me enough SP & mana to make Flames of Faith & Sacred Fire (11 Skill Points, also 35 mana for FoF) workable. So that's the main difference. Fire & Flames vs. Wolf & Summoner. The rest is more play style to support yourself or your party.

Caster uses fewer scrolls with Thelume's Wisdom, Turn undead, and passive offense (crusader, bloodlust, and crit skills). Infantry trained Griss or tank Hirge keep the fight going for you to keep casting.

Summoner is about you sticking around long enough to let you party do more damage. So Body Development, elemental scrolls between wolves, & intervention are helpful, while 2-H Griss stuns and tears apart enemies with your wolf.

The Skill points needed to combine Summon offense with Casting offense makes this a sub-optimal build. Battle Prayer 3 (8), Wolf Summoner 3 (10) & Flames of Faith (11) is 29. Add in 6 for Heal and that's a lot of cool off time for a weak individual character. Sometimes you just need to bash things to make them go down. And without bloodlust, both crit skills, crusader, or body development, the baddie always has the advantage when they make it past your party & spells are in cooldown.

Last edited:

Kakost

The Skill points needed to combine Summon offense with Casting offense makes this a sub-optimal build. Battle Prayer 3 (8), Wolf Summoner 3 (10) & Flames of Faith (11) is 29. Add in 6 for Heal and that's a lot of cool off time for a weak individual character. Sometimes you just need to bash things to make them go down. And without bloodlust, both crit skills, crusader, or body development, the baddie always has the advantage when they make it past your party & spells are in cooldown.
Well, maybe those deficiencies can be offset with tomes? Tome to "ressurect" your partner, tomes of summon for when wolf on cd, tomes for healing summons...

You get a tome, you get a tome, everybody gets a tome!

I also wanted to include Beast Master to my arsenal for those times that the Wolf is down, but that'll probably be late-late game. I have to do some math on this.
Post automatically merged:    

Neponde, on the Sword and Board build, the only thing missing is that Infantry Training has Per 3 as a prereq, so I would add that too.

Last edited: