Intervention Glitch

Duck123

Loreseeker
My level 16 Ironman cleric just died because intervention didn’t activate and it game overed me.
:(
Edit: this was in the Abby of st admus against a Varanni witch.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
That's strange, never heard of it not working. Anything special was going on?

VDX_360

Staff member
Damage overload issue? The witch did more damage to your character than the HP you got from intervention?

Duck123

Loreseeker
My level 16 Ironman cleric just died because intervention didn’t activate and it game overed me.
:(
Post automatically merged:    

I get 400 health from intervention so not overload, maybe because I was switching armor? When it updated my mana it might of glitched. Although I had 150 mana so it’s not because the new armor brought my mana to 0

VDX_360

Staff member
What was your MP at the time? What Intervention Level?

When you were changing equipment, did your HP drop below zero? You could have experienced the known issue with negative hit points?

When you equip items that increase your hit points (either through direct HP gains, or via a trait), those points are added instantly to your life total. When you take that equipment off, the extra hit points are removed instantly. If your hit points are less than what is removed, you can get a negative value, displayed as a having zero life. You can walk around, talk to people and do pretty much anything with zero life. If you get any type of damage while having the negative value of hit points, you instantly die and intervention DOES NOT trigger (even if you have a full MP bar).

Sometimes, if you swap out equipment while taking damage, the game treats the damage as hitting you without armor and at the lower HP threshold, which if is below zero, see above. This hiccup is not easily reproduced and is likely due to a timing thing. The game has to be paused an the exactly right nano-second for the game to start processing the damage, but not updating the graphics???

Duck123

Loreseeker
I had intervention 2 and about 150 mana, I don’t think equipping the new armor sent my hp negative. I was low health but the armor I equipped was only a 3 hp difference and I took a hit afterwards which was what killed me. I don’t know what health I was at but the red bar was still visible so I assume I wasn’t in the negative.

Also there’s no way to recover an Ironman file right? Because I’m pretty upset that I lost 20 hours of progress due to a glitch.

VDX_360

Staff member
I feel your pain. Alas, I don't know any way to recover a dead Iron man file.

Perma-death lacks any type of appeal to me. No death / no damage runs on a game can be an interesting challenge, but the idea of losing an entire game file over any random error? Nope, just don't see the point of that.

One thing you can do--and isn't considered an exploit--is to periodical export your save file. That way if there's an issue, you can reload the save file. Note, that's an all-or-none option for all save files for all characters on a game. It can work as back up.

My best advice? Plan Hard but avoid any version of any game that has perma-death for long games. Not helpful at this point.