High Level Grinding

Commiades

I've got through this game multiple times now at the Hard difficulty (I'm too careless to have stuck it out on Ironman). I'm now looking to get the Achievements for playing after the content is done. To date I've got bored and started again with a different build. My question is how do you do this.
  1. How do avoid geting bored?
  2. What targets do you set?
  3. What is the most efficient way to farm XP?
  4. What is the most efficient way to farm gold (to complete the visions at Archbishop Dilla's shrine)?
  5. Do you drop your companion to maximise XP?
I can go all out to finish all the Townhall Quests, which gives some direction to the travelling (and might pick up the odd Rumour Boss).

VDX_360

Staff member
The game is designed to be completed by Level 18 to 22, so high-level grinds aren't really part of the game.

So to your first question, if you've worn out the game, than you can either take a break, start over with a different class, or play another game.

In the late game, players often run either the Arc or the Sewer of Horrors for XP. But even those take quite a few runs when your level is above 20.

Places with crypts tend to have higher gold per trip, and the Sunken Citadel can have high value items to sell. The Arc tends to be terrible at gold farming due to the low resell value of most the drops.

At high-levels, you can likely drop your Companion and not worry about issues with surviving. You're companionless if you're in the Arc, anyways.

Don't forget to use Scrolls of Wisdom, XP boosting equipment, or shrine blessings to get a boost to XP.

Commiades

Thanks. I mostly only grind for a random item drop, such as Ruined Dragoon Boots or items in the Ark. I've not mustered the enthusiasm for any other grinding. It's a pity that you get some of the best items so late in the game and then don't really get to play with them in any challenging way (the Queen's Heart, for instance).

I think my stabby rogue will work quite well without a sidekick, though he'd miss out on flank attacks.

iamgaming

The game will get a new update which provides new areas and quest in a few months so waiting until the update will come can be a choice.

Commiades

Trying for some harder achievements, I think I've found the build that will make it easiest -- a staff summoner mage. He gets the XP benefit of having high INT, and the Iron Golem makes it easier to drop the companion. My current mage is Level 23 and powering towards Level 24 because he has an XP bonus of 30% before scrolls (INT 10 and rings and a hat giving Wisdom V in total).

Also the mage has Gate, which makes doing Townhall Quests easier. Overall, the XP, the summoned help and the Gate make this my preferred character to go for Level 25. Rogues miss out on using the flanking bonus that Sneak Attack gives, but needs a companion to use. Warriors don't have Sprint or Gate, and feel stodgy getting around. My Wand mage missed having a companion, and was slow clearing mobs compared to a warrior (perhaps she should respec to get Ice Storm and Fireball; Massive Criticals are too much fun, though!), and she's only INT 6 at best.

Another plus is there's no real ability cooldown, unlike with Flurry or Battle Rage. Waiting until he can create another Iron Golem is more of a safety thing! And the Mage Guild offers the most convenient places to sleep for free and access storage!

Does anyone know where to grind for Scrolls of Wisdom or Greater Scrolls of Wisdom? The Wiki says the Abbey, but the drop rate is very low.

Last edited:

Commiades

Thanks, I need to check rumours regularly. That's partly what having Gate is for!
Post automatically merged:    

My Summoner Mage can handle the Abbey with comfort, but he's seen no scrolls yet.

Last edited:

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
Gate is free Teleport. Nice but hardly a deal-breaker. But at 600 gp once you get higher level you can buy a massive stack of them, it's not much of a grind at one of the more profitable areas to get that.

Commiades

Not for the regular content, and my mages only got it after completing SoH, but for grinding afterwards it's very convenient - I'm somewhat tightfisted too!

Commiades

For all the advantages of the Summoner Mage, I prefer melee rogues. They can solo most places, but I like visiting the Pit with Hirge - lots of XP fast (even after the reduction of having a companion) and good loot (especially the occasional Greater Scroll of Wisdom).

I do Town Hall Quests and Rumour Bosses to break up the monotony. Never tire of killing deserters!