Full lore

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaleTilgo2022

It's like reading a character description that has too detailed. E.g., The bartender stood at 1.93 meters, weighed a lean 113 kilograms, and had eyes the color of 450 nanometers in wavelenth.

I'm in the United States and I know off the top of my head that a meter is approximately 3 feet and a kilogram is approximately 2.1 pounds. Knowing those things I can approximate the values and if I wished for exact precision I could use an online converter. I assumed the nanometers reference was the poster geeking out and showing off.

VDX_360

Staff member
@DaleTilgo2022 , I think we're drifting away from the purpose of the discussion, which was about the immersion aspect from not having every in minutiae explained to ad nauseum.

As for reference about your nationality and conversion abilities, um... congrats?

A nifty conversaion rule-of-thumb I like to use on a near daily basis is 1.5 rate between miles-per-hour and feet-per-second. (It actually works out to 1.46 repeating but that gets messy in the mundane).

60 mph is 90 feet per second.
25 mpg is `35.

Really helps when explaining stopping distances, line-of-sight issues, and delays due to distractions.

People drive in miles-per-hour, but they tend to think in feet.

Well, most of the world drives in kilometers, and thinks in meters, but that just sounds odd.

Now, what were talking about?

Oh that's right, the traffic impacts of speed adjusted banks on single lane, moderate speed round-abouts.....

DaleTilgo2022

You just lost your entire American audience.

I bet to them this must've felt like "he had 5'5" and 150 pounds", which to me means absolutely nothing (and I bet must've been some absurd values)

VDX_360 -- My original post was in reference to the above quote which directly preceded your post. The point I was trying to make is that all Americans aren't ignorant xenophobes.​

VDX_360

Staff member
No one said they were?

And by "Americans" do you mean every person residing between the North and South pole on the American continents, or just those residing in the United States?

See vagueness is more real.

Overly exact information distracts from both the immersion and flow of a dialogue.

Kakost

VDX_360 -- My original post was in reference to the above quote which directly preceded your post. The point I was trying to make is that all Americans aren't ignorant xenophobes.​

Hmmm... Calm down friend. Nobody implied that americans are either ignorant (I wouldnt call the people who landed on the Moon and that invented the internet as ignorant under any circumstances) nor did I imply that americans are ignorant.

It was just a joke. When americans say "oh, he's 6 feet tall" it annoys me to no end, because I dont have a bloody idea of what the hell that means. And imprecise approximations may be good for some quick approximation, it is rather useless in the case of picturing in your head what it really means in the case for example of height and height of somebody. While saying that 1 mile is roughly 1.5 kilometers and that would be good enough to understand the distance between 2 cities, trying to approximate 6 feet to 2 meters would give me the idea of a damn giant, and Im sure that all american women are NOT trying to date 2m tall giants.

Can I go to Google to get the real number? Sure, but it's annoying as hell, so every time I see some video on internet of whatever it is, and someone brings up something on the american imperial system Im always "oh goddamit!" because I either let it and dont bother understanding, or I have to annoy myself translating it to something I can understand.

It was just a joke brother, no need to take it so personal. Maybe you have a reason to be as defensive, maybe you have indeed personally experienced being considered either ignorant or xenophobic, particularly on the Internet where people are so freely eager to insult each other, but I assure you that was not my intention, I just wanted to lighten up the mood and point something that I consider to be a funny nuisance.

Also, Im Brazilian, and one trivia about my people, we are first of all, the master trolls of the universe, and secondly we are like children on a candy store when we interact with other cultures, I cannot explain why we are like this, I cant even explain why I myself am like this, but it's just an irresistible force to my kind, when we find some curious cultural differences, we get fascinated about them. Oh, and not only that, we obviously have to make some joke about it.

Or not. Who knows. Maybe Im only trolling you. Maybe Im not even actually brazilian. But if Im trolling you, then there's a huge chance that Im actually a brazilian because that's what we - or them brazilians, cuz I may or may not be one - do.

Oh yes, and please do tell me about all of your cultural peculiarities, I wanna hear them all to quenchy my thirsty for curiosity. And then, get ready for me to both admire and make fun of all of them, because life aint worth living unless we can make fun of it.

By the way, everything I said about us brazilians, Im being dead serious. Yes yes, how can you trust a people that is a nation of master trolls... But seriously, it's true.

By the way, what would it mean for someone to have 5'5" and 150 pounds, but in a system that makes some sense? kkk

Oh, sorry about the "kkk", it's not what you're thinking... We use "kkk" for laughs in portuguese. But I love to use it just to make people absolutely confused - yeah, I know that to you "kkk" probably means the Khan, but not to me, and hey, master trolls we are after all.

VDX_360

Staff member
This thread has more than drifted off course.

Going to lock the thread.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.