The Shamans' Way: New play diary (Summoner Cleric)

Gr8Scott

Wolf, B.Prayer and FoF, as well as Heal 3 and Intervention 3, strengthened with Summoner 3, without any concerns about mana, and having all those skills maxed at lvl 21
I think you meant 31. You also have to include Sacred Fire 5, NB 2 as prerequisites for the above advanced spells. Add A.Might 1 for offense boost in addition to B.Prayer you are up to 39 SP (lvl 20). Going to lvl 23 you can squeeze in Body Development 3 or lvl 2 of both crit skills. As mentioned in the thread prior, you could respect without Heal for 6 more points, but that leads to cool down item use issues.

I still think end game is tough because of potion cool down time. You will be waiting on cool downs in long boss fights from alternate heal & mana potions (82 manna for Wolf, B.Prayer, & FoF) whIle keeping B.Prayer up. It doesn't leave much time if you need to add a Revive Gris scroll or Elemental scroll cool down if you lose the wolf quickly.

Kakost

I think you meant 31. You also have to include Sacred Fire 5, NB 2 as prerequisites for the above advanced spells. Add A.Might 1 for offense boost
I already have all of the above. As of lvl 14, I have Heal 2, Intervention 3, A.Might 1, NB 2, Sacred Fire 3, T.Wisdom 1, Wolf 3, Summoner 3, Gate 2.

All that is needed is Heal from 2 to 3 and the 3 lvls for both B.Prayer and FoF. That's a total of 15 skill points; since we can get 1 extra point from Adaon's quest, that's 14 sp from lvls, or another 7 lvls required.

Which gives a total of 14+7 = 21. And that's only for the current configuration - for example, without Gate that can be done at lvl 20. Without Heal on top of it, that would be lvl 17.

And theoretically, with the extra point from the visions at the Nivarian temple and without the 1 point in T.Wisdom, that would be lvl 16 (but I believe it is unlikely to be able to have the necessary amount of gold for that at a mere lvl 16).

...as mentioned in the thread prior, you could respect without Heal... but that leads to cool down item use issues.
True. I wouldnt recommend going without Heal, but even with Heal you can still achieve it at lvl 19 if you remove Gate and T.Wisdom (plus the extra sps from Adaon's quest and the visions)

I still think end game is tough because of potion cool down time. You will be waiting on cool downs in long boss fights from alternate heal & mana potions (82 manna for Wolf, B.Prayer, & FoF) whIle keeping B.Prayer up. It doesn't leave much time if you need to add a Revive Gris scroll or Elemental scroll cool down if you lose the wolf quickly.
So, I guess I already have a mana pool of 160 or something like it (I'll look it up). By end game, I'll have at least Int 4+2, which gives a total of (6/2) 3 extra mana per lvl, and at least Per 5+2, which gives 7 extra mana per level, for a total of 10 extra mana per lvl, assuming I dont increase either trait any longer (favoring Str henceforth for instance).

With the Cleric having a base of +2 mana per lvl, that gives a total of +12 extra mana per lvl (once again, assuming I increase those traits no more).

Just for base mana, without considering items, this cleric would have (12 mana at lvl 1) + (20 lvls x 12) = 252 base mana at lvl 21. And a bit more than that from lvls 22 to 25.

That's a pretty expressive mana pool, even considering how expensive his spells are at lvl max (Heal - 18; A.Might - 2; Wolf - 35; B.Prayer - 12; FoF - 35).

Typically, NONE of those spells, except for Heal, will be used more than once during any single battle, due to the cooldown; Wolf has a CD of 1 full minute, B.Prayer is 12 seconds (maybe it need recasting) and FoF have CD of 30 s (FoF will most definitely only be used once, unless you have to run back and forth). This means that this build aint as mana intensive as you're thinking, and all you have to do is to always keep your mana high by drinking your vitamins constantly.

Even if, at the time you meet a boss, you need to use the full combo of Wolf+B.Prayer+FoF+A.Might at least once, that's a total of 35+35+12+2, for a total of 84 mana. That's still very very little when compared to a mana pool of AT LEAST 252. That still leaves plenty mana for multiple healings and recasts of B.Prayer.

In truth however, you'll probably cast your Wolf BEFORE meeting the boss - maybe even waiting for the full 1 min for the CD to be up, and that means that there's really no reason whatsoever as to not dip in a mid mana potion (healing exactly the 35 mana you spent on the wolf) prior to facing the Big Bad Boss.

Trust me, I may not have experience with Clerics prior to this, but I had plenty of experience with dealing with the mana pools of my mages. This is more than enough - in fact, I cannot see any situation upon which your mana would be lacking (except if Intervention gets triggered)

Gr8Scott

Trust me, I may not have experience with Clerics prior to this, but I had plenty of experience with dealing with the mana pools of my mages.
Still rooting for you so maybe you can will give some love to the weaker, armor wearing, divine spellcaster class (Blessed be the Three :) ). Both B.Prayer and FoF are party benefit skills and synergyze with summons if you can pull it off. Since I haven't played a mage (don't tell @Apocalypse), I'll have to trust your mana management experience. And yes, precasting your summons does help, but it's still the mana equivalent of a potion.

I made a mistake on my last post. You said maxed out spells at lvl 21. For some reason I was thinking 21 SPELL points when maxed out. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

Kakost

Lvl 15 now, and my first lvl and first experience with my triumvirate of pain.

Gotta say, this combo really really is very, very very good.

Even with just a single lvl in it I could already feel the massive difference that this has done for my team. It truly is amazing, and the best of all is that B.Prayer has very low mana intensity, not a long CD and a decent duration.

Once again, Im amazed at just how strong this build is. Very solid all around. And B.Prayer came at a good moment to help me in Castle Bluerock.

Neponde

I think the Summoner Cleric does indeed deserves it's own space rather than being just a simple variation over the Church of the Three spellcaster
I've been on the fence for a while. Battle prayer is a core skill for both. They have similar playstyles (relying heavier on companion/summons for dps). Mana pool management. I'm still unsure if they are different enough to warrant different slots. But I'm 60/40 right now in favor of splitting them up.

Kakost

I've always hated getting into Castle Bluerock, and the trend continues. What an annoying place to be in. Just getting to it already eats away at my mana due to the traps and those damn archers, and the welcoming reception is just simply amazing. I already rescued Zenmo, but I always forget the stuff I need to bring to the statue for Ancient Verses... So I'll have to do it all over again grrrr so annoying. I swear, this place was done to raise our stress levels. Cursed outlaws and deserters, I will... May the Three forgive me, but I will do unspeakable things to those &#/*@

Kakost

Ancient Verses completed, Castle Bluerock cleared. Poisonous bow, that eletric mace and Somnet all taken, Bandit King slain. Until never again.

I really hate this place, it took me quite a few runs to clear it. But I really got the chance to fully test the initial steps into B.Prayer with my trio of death, and Im very pleased with the results.

Also, playing as the defacto support of the team is super fun. Totally different playstyle than any other I ever played in this game. Now I have convinced myself to buy Heal 3 next lvl and no other skill.

Kakost

Odd Couple done. Now I think I'll tie a few loose ends before moving foward towards additional quests. Time to clear the troll cave, and to deal with all the Vorators and some golems at their cave; I'll also clear Irazur tomb finally, as well as going to the Mausoleum (I have the "Restless Dead" quest to do there anyway), and it's about time to start eliminating Liches. Im feeling both bold and powerful enough for such endeavors. Currently Im clearing a certain cave filled with Trolls (a shame that my pet hinders me a lot more than it helps, so Im not using it, but my lvl is big enough for it to be rather easy). I believe by the time I start clearing the rest, I'll be lvl 16 already and therefore I'll have Heal 3, which will be tremendously helpful. By the end of it all, I'll do Adaon's quest and that will bring me to lvl 17 at least, no doubt, at which point I'll already have B.Prayer 2 and 1 extra sp to be able to buy B.Prayer 3 at lvl 18.

So, Im actually close to test my build at full potential, with Flames of Faith on top of it all.

Another thing that I wanna add, as of right now, every single place that I go is very very easy. The massive combo of my Wolf lvl 16 juiced with B.Prayer is insane, then I drop my A.Might 1 for some extra DPS and it's pretty much game, and when surrounded by many enemies, I can still rely on Sacred Fire to greatly soften them up. Add FoF to that mix and this build feels more like an Arcane Knight Summoner walking nuclear bomb than anything else.

Truly an amazing support. Sometimes I just lay behind (like when dealing with ranged enemies) and let my team deal with the critters all by themselves, while I limit myself to just Buff/Heal my team. It's truly amazing.

And my mana pool, due to my items, already has a massive size of 250+ (of course, amulet of dark whispers make a massive contribution of +50). Im clearing every place without using a single mana potion, just being as conservative and cautious as possible and using my rests. The reason is because Im dirty poor; since Im not farming and instead Im just doing quests, Im utterly poor.

But that allowed me to lvl very very fast (seriously, I never play more than half an hour in the rare days I get the chance), and now all the drops are much more valuable than they would be in lower lvls farming (seriously kids, dont farm, just do quests).

Oh, by the way, did I mention that I had already completed "Easy as Pie" and "Lost Coven"? I guess I forgot to mention, I did those the last previous time I played, several days ago.

Neponde

Who is your companion, and how do you have them set up?

In addition to this being a very solid build, you are also becoming a more skilled player. That makes a big difference. If you were to replay as an elementalist, or even a summoner, you would probably laugh at how simple things seem now.

Kakost

Who is your companion, and how do you have them set up?
Grissenda. She has Str 3, End 2, Agi 2, Per 1 (she always begins with Per 1)
Her skills are Shield Mastery 2 (she begins with it), Fury 3, Cleave 3.

Yes, Im using her with 1h/shield. Less than ideal, beyond any doubt. I mean, she's pretty good, but it will be much better once I use her as a 2h warrior. The reason I havent yet is because money has been absolutely lacking so far, and 5k gold really was a huge sum that I could not dispose of until now.

Now however, money is starting to pile up faster, and the next thing I'll do will be reseting her. I have 3 spare trait points, removing the 1 from Per I'll increase her Str to 4, and removing the 2 in Agi I'll leave her End in 3. For her skills, I'll take the 2 lvls from Shield Mastery and 1 lvl from Fury, and I'll be just 1 sp short of having 3 lvls on Two Hands skill (I'll actually take out 2 lvls from Fury and buy Fury back to lvl 2 once she gains one extra lvl).

Turning Griss into a 2H warrior, having B.Prayer and FoF and Heal will be a massive team. That's the only thing that I need to do to perfect this team.
In addition to this being a very solid build, you are also becoming a more skilled player. That makes a big difference. If you were to replay as an elementalist, or even a summoner, you would probably laugh at how simple things seem now.
Oh yes, I have no doubt about that. Heck, even playing as Assassin Rogue is so much easier now.

I also know where and when I can go to places, and all the little tricks to make my life easier in anywhere I go. Considering the short time I played, I lvl up 10x faster than my first time. I am really amazed at how fast Im leveling this time, and how laughably easy this game is now lol, it seems almost unbelievable.