2-H STR / END Build w/Adaon

VDX_360

Staff member
Just to mix it up, I tried a 2-H Warrior STR / END Build with Adaon (on Normal). It started off as a way to test out the availability of 2-H weapons in the game, and grew from there. Note, it was an extreme STR / END Build. Only trait points invested in STR and END. That limits quest options and advanced skills. Makes for a pretty durable, high damage build. Taken on the final boss with 1,000 hitpoints and hitting for 200 damage is pretty nice. Screw the parasite!

1) With either lucky exploring or out-of-game knowledge, one can get the Wild Thunder pretty early. I got it at Level 4. Getting it that early skips a lot of 2-H weapons. It might be worth having the quest to get it locked until level 9 or so (after the Fort).

2) Alternating between whirlwind and charge, I found I could clear a lot of early dungeons with taking little to no damage. Most enemies could be killed in one hit. Alternating between them allows for a pretty quick dash without having to wait for skills to recharge.

3) I needed a +1 PERS item to be able to progress the 3 vs. 11 quest, I couldn't complete the Mathrisian Codex quest due to the +3 INT trait check. Even a +2 INT item wouldn't be enough. If I didn't use Adaon as a companion, I'd miss out out a few areas that require a +2 AWA or Adaon check.

VDX_360

Staff member
Overall, it was a pretty fun build. Combat was easy. Finding secret doors, and learning rumors was a pain. Adaon helped there a bit.

Kurozuka

Hi i like this build but how can you get the white thunder at lvl 4 ??
Steel thunder is lvl 12 and a lot of lvl 6 !
Need your help. Beg you !

VDX_360

Staff member
First, getting Steel Thunder that early skips a few weapon level so it's okay to put it off a bit, or skip it all together. The quest does require you to kill an innocent person. Rather evil.

Second, like any tough enemy that is giving you a problem, potions are your friend here. A potion of Giant Strength and a potion of Greater Shielding will help a lot in this fight. Don't forget to use potions on your Companion.

If you're following the exact build (all STR or END) than you won't have any INT to use a Summon Wolf scroll, but if you toss Adaon a trait point in INT, you can summon a wolf to help. Same if you have Gris or Hirge with you.

If you're following the build above and have both Charge and Whirlwind, you can get a pretty good start to the fight by making sure both attacks hit as many as possible. With luck, you might get good damage rolls and a few stunned enemies.

There's not a lot of impressive gear that early in the game, but between lucky drops and quest reward you could have some semi-decent armor for yourself and your Companion. See Wiki for stuff locations.

And lastly, the game isn't designed to get that weapon that early so putting it off for a few levels makes a huge difference. Each level gives you some crucial HP and skill points. Getting at Level 4 was a stress test for the game. Really not recommended.

Have a wonderful new year.

Kurozuka

Hi !
I'm really happy to see you're answer very quickly. Yes I'm trying to share my points with STR/END (equally ?).
I have some gear but only leather so it's crap. I'm lvl 4 with Gris for companion.
I know the bounty/hunting and slave story but rather evil, and I need this sword ! ;)
I tried to choice to attack Steel Thunder company and run to mercenary, so they kill them in my place. But I can loot anything with this method only done the quest ...
I will try with summon pet and potions. I like that because it's challenging.

Can you please post a screenshot to show the choice of your advanced skills ?

Happy New Years too !

VDX_360

Staff member
Ummm.... The character that went through that attempt beat the game so it's about a level 20 something, which would make the Advanced Skill spread way over what you'd have at Level 4.

Again, you might be better served by knocking out a few quests to gain some equipment and levels.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
Just because VDX_360 can get Thunder that early doesn't mean anyone else will.

There are lots of early grabs. Icicle for a Rogue, or just the Weaponsmith trader. I got a Flaming Longsword very early on and it stopped me looking for weapons for many early levels.

VDX_360

Staff member
I wouldn't recommend trying to get Wild Thunder before Level 9-ish for most players. Trying to get it at a low level stemmed from a discussion on the Item Update Thread about getting that weapon early. With out-of-game knowledge there are a few grabs such as the above mentioned Flamming Longsword, or the Stiletto.

With Wild Thunder, I think the average level to actually get it on the test runs was about Level 6 or 7, simply due to the nature of the quests up to that point. I tried a few different early game runs just to test with 2-H weapon availability. Getting Wild Thunder below level 6 requires really pushing it, and as noted above, the fight to keep it is a lot harder that low level. You might spend more time trying to re-fight the battle than it would take just to level up knocking out early game quests.

Also, the extreme STR / END build is not the best build, even for combat centric warriors. Blood Lust and Precision Strikes are two Advanced Skills that require investing in other traits besides STR / END. Both compliment a 2-H combat beast pretty nicely, esp Blood Lust. So even if you want to invest heavily in STR / END, don't forget the other traits.

Kurozuka

Hi, wild thunder at lvl 6 ! Yes it's pretty good. Thanks for advice.

Last edited: