Bear traps near Kingsbridge

Atomos

I believe all of the traps near Kingsbridge scale up along with the player, and reach ridiculous levels. This creates a question: who the heck sets those up?! An ultradimensional orcish bounty hunter that fights aliens? Thankfully EK doesn't have any flower selling girls. They would need to ride a tank to gather red orchids, or say goodbye to their legs by the end of the game. Please fix this.

Edit: typo fixed

Last edited:

VDX_360

Staff member
That's am detail stemming from the game scaling up with levels.
The other option is to have areas that become totally threat free.

Atomos

Enemies scale up to a certain limit, and that's great, but in case of traps there's no limit, and I can't imagine some incompetent grunt setting those up. Advanced devices require expertise and frequent maintenance, and in case of Kingsbridge, there's noone like that in this area!

The question is: is it better for the game to have consistent enviroment, or some obscure mechanics to keep the players challenged long after they became able to turn every enemy into minced meat.

VDX_360

Staff member
Where you see a limit, the Orcs see an opportunity. There's some Level 1 Orc out there practicing stetting up Level 99 traps.

I -think- this exact issue stems from a line or two of code that sets the spawn level. Traps, lime enemies, get their level info from a combination of your level, and the limits set by the map. No limit set, than no limit in practice.
Not sure how hard it would be to go back and re-tweak all the maps that have that same issue.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
The question is: is it better for the game to have consistent enviroment

Games with a consistent environment need a consistent player.

You can think of it this way: as you clear out bandits, traps, orcs, etc., the resupplies are stronger bandits, better orcs, improved traps, because they know the raids on them are being successful. So there is an RPG element there too.

PS all game mechanics are obscure, thats what happens when you compile code. It becomes obscured, but runnable.