Getting gate before doing mysterious letter

Darteous

I played a rogue up to level 16, following the quests at a reasonable pace.

Right now I'm playing a mage and irnomaning. I failed a few times, one of which failures was to that enraged minotaur when theyve taken your gear. So I'm now level 19, still haven't done the quest. I'm wondering what happens if you have gate. Can you teleport out before needing to knock the door three times and wake your sister? I just think it'd be funny if it were plausible to completely shift how a quest went like that by actually saving her right there.

I don't actually have gate yet, am going to do the last of the enclave quests when I hit level 20.

p4ran0id

Staff member
the area forbid teleport, won't work for sure. the whole sewer in New Garand forbids that, not even recall scroll will work there.

ps: had long ago a crazy experience down there, when I got to the assassin guild I got blocked by NPC and could not go out. was already solved, but scrolls and Co won't work in that area

VDX_360

Staff member
Gate won't work any place teleporting won't work so you can't use Gate to get around an teleport ban. There are a few places that teleporting won't work, some for plot reasons, some to avoid skipping forced dungeons.

VDX_360

Staff member
If you're inclined, you can skip the Mysterious Letter quest till you've gotten high level, and completed almost everything else. You won't be able to access the Tower, or get the Bag of Holding, but other than that, the game plays normally. It's kind of funny to start the Shards of Fate quest with enough black shards.

There are a few oddities (like the Undermother) if you don't trigger the Shards of Fate quest. But pretty normal.

Darteous

Good to know, just died to carrion eaters at level 19 :(. Didn't think they'd be able to keep me paralyzed long enough to kill me as they're just level 10. I'll try again in a few weeks.

VDX_360

Staff member
Carrion eaters can be brutal for stun/paralyzing a player, even with good stun protection.

A good tactic is to let them engage in your Companion, that way your Companion takes the brunt of the attack.

It can be painful to watch your high level character slowly die in a stun-lock situation.

Darteous

Is there a list somewhere of things likely to kill you without you having much chance for people to use?

Carrier, poison rooms, tol are what I'm aware of.

VDX_360

Staff member
I don't think there's a single list of death traps. The Wiki has all of the spots, just not in a single place. So if you really, really wanted to have a guide, you could look at the Wiki for each area before going into it.

There are a few places in the game where you can die with no escape. Those include getting caught in a poison gas room without having Adaon or AWA 2 (thus, not being able to spot the release switch). There's also a few ambush traps.... so yeah, I can see why you might want a single list.

If you find you're getting killed too many times by gas rooms or ambushes, feel supported. The Wiki might help (see link at top of page).