Holy Cleric / Double Cleric.

VDX_360

Staff member
Prior to the Ark:

1) Clerics have two equipment items that can deal with stun. A ring from the minotaurs, or the Amulet of Dark Whispers.

2) Clerics get a lot of equipment with shock resistance and fire resistance. That makes shock attacks bearable, and fire explosions less traumatic. The same equipment gives pretty good armor. The Sunken Citadel has some nifty stuff for Clerics.

3) Clerics get a few weapons that deal decent shock damage or spirit damage. Ark enemies are weak against the first, and have zero resistance to the latter. That helps give you an edge in the fight against the Ark.

4) By the ark, you should have a decent amount of money for potions, such as giant strength or shock resistance. Those can take the edge off a fight. Don't forget the potions looted in the Sunken Citadel or Ark. Keep in mind the spiders are 100% physical, and the steel wizards deal 100% shock.

So given the four above, an average build Cleric can start making runs in the ark. You might have to recall out the first few trips. Grab a few things, warp. Repeat. At least until you start to find Ark stuff. As you build your end-game collection, you should get pretty powerful.

Fighting tips, like any place, try to fight things one on one. Lure the spiders to a corner or a doorway. Take them out first, dodge their blast, and take out the steel wizards. Use the batteries to rest up in the med bay. (Instant full recovery!).

Start a fight fully healed if your nervous, use your defense buffs (or potions). You should quickly figure out how much damage you'll have to take to beat each enemy type.

The Guardian Wolf (or the new bear) don't last long in the ark. But you shouldn't need them too much. Use them here or there if you're going to get swarmed.

VDX_360

Staff member
1-H: Ghost Bane, Golem's Fist
2-H: Maul of Garrak.
Until you find a Nanocarbon weapon.

Both give decent damage plus shock damage. It's worth noting that the Paladin's Longsword isn't too bad either, even though it does spirit damage.

Commiades

Thanks for these suggestions. I'd always called to keep the wolf alive. Two clerics healing helped, but better tanking was crucial.

VDX_360

Staff member
Healing is good, defense is good. Having both is great.

Might 3 does some pretty solid damage with 2-H weapons but Cleric's tend to do better in longer fights, so a shield really helps them out as a class.

Commiades

Once I got Midnight I went from my cleric using light weapons to using 1-h ones, and Hirge went from 1-h to 2-h and maxxing Might (eventually). It's worked well.

I noticed the lack of a shield in the ark. Predictably I got a mallet before any sword. It was painful.

p4ran0id

Staff member
be careful with might on Hirge, companions are stupid. worst experience with might was in fire regions when she used it to heal fire elementals and Co while I tried to kill them...

also from my experience, never give Hirge more than 1 end! if she has too much hp she won't be able to heal you

Commiades

be careful with might on Hirge, companions are stupid. worst experience with might was in fire regions when she used it to heal fire elementals and Co while I tried to kill them...
With Might III and a 2-h weapon she gets +16 damage, so +4 Fire is a small price to pay.

p4ran0id

Staff member
yeah of course, it's just my experience, I don't like to give Hirge any active skills besides heal. she use it wrong, lose mp or heal enemies, that's all. but I also only use her as tank, so 2h is not really suited to my playstile. 😉