I know mages are bad for beginner...

vpy

....but i would really like to level one.

I have tried leveling one...I am way two squishy and ended up dropping him at level 4 :(

a) What levels do they get good ?

b) Which is good for survivability...wand/orb or staff ?

c) Any simple tips would be appreciated

VDX_360

Staff member
Level 4 is pretty early in the game so I might suggest you stick it out a few more levels. As for your questions:

1) There's no exact level where a mage becomes a beast. It depends on difficulty, playing style, build, equipment, but in general you should start seeing some budding power before Level 10 and increasing power from there. Of course, mages will be a little fragile to balance their high DPS.

2) Wands that allow the use of orbs are supposed to be more defensive in nature, but even with the adjustment a few updates ago, most players find going full offensive with staves is better. Kill them before they kill you because in reality, no amount of orb will make a mage a defensive beast. Note, there are some players who love and swear by wands.

3) Some basic mage tips:
Mage armor and Mage Barrier will help out in tight spots.
Having a companion will help. (Griss is easy to get for a mage).
Mages will have hit-or-miss match-up with most dungeons. Either your skills will make you very strong or make it harder for you. So focus on areas your strong. Some players re-spec a lot, but I just found it more fun to work with the ebb and flow of the mage class.
More so than any other class, really learn the attack dynamics. Learn how the spells work and use them as tactics, for example, Ice Storm tends to bounce off walls so in a hallway, casting it against a wall might get it to bounce and hit enemies more than once.
Keep those potions stocked up. Deepfrost cognac is pretty cheap and will be a lifesaver in the game.
There are a lot of other tips depending on your build (like get mana surge for extra spell casting, not maxing every spell that way you have one high damage attack and one low mana attack).

p4ran0id

Staff member
You can "train" with a rogue archer build. It's a bit easier to play and you will learn how to avoid close range battle, that is very important for the Mage.

The hardest part is up to lvl 8-10, after that it get much easier.

Staff vs wand, well a staff has higher damage, but only with higher levels, with lvl 4 wand is better because you can use a shield or an orb.

Best tip is, get Gris as companion, that will make your life very easy at the beginning, she will keep the enemies busy and you can attack from distance. You can get her with lvl 2, just ignore the enemies and run for the ring (have a look at the wiki where to find it inside the dungeon)

Also at the beginning try to avoid fighting many enemies simultaneously, better get the attention and run away to them, so not everyone will attack you and only a few will follow you. With lvl 8 you can grind for XP in maze of Lamth (jabal), there are Single minotaurs and it's easier to kill them. Also don't use too much elemental attacks with low lvl, you don't have enough mana for that, better use your staff or wand while Gris keeps them busy and use your magic as last option to survive. Mage barrier and mage armor is more important than fireball and co

Daybreak

Mage are bad for beginner??!? Well,yes thats true,but fortunately i grab griss as companion first(grab the ring and run tactic......(how shameful)

VDX_360

Staff member
There's no shame in raiding. A quick and lucky player can get the ring right from the start of the game (even before killing those pesky five goblins). Trying to fight all the enemies along the way, including the guarding ghost requires a stronger character.

Laurents

honestly mage is not that bad at loq lvls get the fire spell and u can pretty much kill anything in ur path, just aim right and once u get grisenda u can kill 2-3 way easier.

also remember that the mage shield we get can take 1 trap dmg to 0 so is rlly good to always have it up even if only lvl 1 so u can avoid trap dmg

early in the game i lvled fire and ice spells so i can abuse the weakneses of the monsters, that will give u a nice dmg boost, also dont lvl them to high just lvl 2-3 should be enought so u have a nice range of spells to work with, mhm remember not to burn urself with the fire spell, but u cant dmg ur companion with it so dw bout that.

hope those tips help u not much but is all i got from when i was lower lvl ^^

I have a noob question myself is there any nice build for hirge out there? im a staff/summoner and have never ever used hirge so i dont rlly know whats good bout her, would appreciate if some1 can guide me in the right path

p4ran0id

Staff member
Laurents":1lf7mgqb said:
I have a noob question myself is there any nice build for hirge out there? im a staff/summoner and have never ever used hirge so i dont rlly know whats good bout her, would appreciate if some1 can guide me in the right path

Please open a new topic for that discussion. It will get a bit confusing to discuss both here

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
Laurents":3kfhcnw5 said:
honestly mage is not that bad at loq lvls get the fire spell and u can pretty much kill anything in ur path, just aim right and once u get grisenda u can kill 2-3 way easier.
I think this explains that mages are not bad at beginning.

Of course, someone might push things too far, but all in all, mages can live without problems if you know you don't play warrior.