Is Adaon really bad?

MrJelly

Hi. I tried to have only adaon for a playthrough and I have some issues.

1.He never went for a trap disarm ever when he had 85% chanse to do so and only did when I give him the talent trap master. He never put down a trap and when he goes to desarm almost every time he steps on the trap and dies (some times he stops and actually trying. think it's really bugged)

2. If I give him a bow the most of time he is just hitting a wall with it. If there isn't a wall he is busy hitting everything. I think he is lacking the command if you hit someone then only hit him.

3. 6 agility for flurry is so bad. You need to make him lvl 16 I think and reset his skill too so you can take it.

4. He is horrible till you do his advance quest.

5. He is popping really random all his abilities, so he is wasting them most of the time (I think this is a mechanic problem tho).

Overall with cleric on late game he is really good(basically if you can tank and have many poisons or heal) , but I can't see how to use him with the other 3 classes. (without spending all your money on poisons)

(BTW do you have the same problem with the traps?)

VDX_360

Staff member
Q: "Is Adaon really bad?"

Short answer: He robbed you in your sleep. That's pretty bad.

Long answer: The AI issue with Companions is known. Adaon is easier to work with as a melee weapon user as it takes some effort to coordinate with his --shall we say "unique" -- mastery of a bow?

Also, per this related thread Adaon will only disarm trap IF YOU TRAIN TRAP MASTERY. That was done to balance Adaon. Perhaps in-game text to that effect will help avoid confusion and frustration.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
Also, per this related thread Adaon will only disarm trap IF YOU TRAIN TRAP MASTERY.

This is not in the Wiki notes, I'm updating them as we speak.

EDIT: imo Adaon is the weakest companion. But that's not a bad thing. In many places even on Hard, Hirge or Griss can make the game a bit easy; especially if you are familiar with things like optimising character builds, foreknowledge of quests, the best equipment locations and options for your level, knowledge of the right elemental resistances & bonuses, etc., etc., Adaon with a bow can give utility (Secrets, Gossip, etc.) and a bit of firepower support without him taking all the glory.

Last edited:

HolyCopy

Adaon is my favorite companion. I've used Griss till level 17 and changed to Adaon just try him out.
These are the things I found out.
1. He is waaaay more fun to use in battles. I let him use composite bow, his dps reaches 21.9 at lvl 15. Griss lasts longer in battles but Adaon can end enemies even before they can do any real damage. With the right equipment, he is really fun to play with hehe
2. I love his personality. In my opinion, all the other characters are kinda plain (based on their conversations and replies etc.) He's got that fire in him.
3. I love his back story. He is lowkey relatable. I will protect him at all costs.
4. Never had any problems with secret doors anymore. Less issues with traps.

Im level 20 now and still using him. You can tell from the ranting that I really adore him. He is underrated in my eyes.

Ps. Maybe its easier for me because Im a cleric/tank and can heal him or tank anytime.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

MrJelly

Yea with cleric tank or cleric priste he is pretty good. I have play with him too but with mage, rague or warrior you should be very rich cause you must take a ton of poisons. This why I think of him as a weak companion he is only good with cleric then hirge or griss is with anyone.

I think his character is great too.

HolyCopy

Thats a great idea! Will defo try that on bosses. Thank you! But for everyday use, changing between wrmslayer and bow of malan. Depending on the enemy's elements.

Screenshot_20210115-030721.md.png

The Jester's Bow does less damage but the rapid-fire aspect of it provide a lot of chance for him to stun enemies, useful on bosses.