Just experimenting...

Invector

For the past couple of months I’ve been running sort of a linear experiment using four characters---warrior, cleric, mage, and rogue [archer]. I’ve joined each character to its respective guild---Warrior (warrior’s), Cleric (The Three), Mage (Wizard’s) [or will when I can], and Rogue (Seventh House).
When I level up one character I switch to another and level it up until all four are equal. Right now each of my characters is at level 15. I’ve also tried to finish each quest for all characters before attempting another, but that has led to some real difficulties at times.

There are two basic rules:
  1. I can’t purchase ANY equipment. Houses are okay, but all equipment has to be either taken during combat or found along the way. (My mage is still wearing a freaking Apprentice Hood)
  2. No sneaking around enemies to loot a chest and run off. Any chest that is guarded can only be opened after the bestiary guarding it is killed. I want Wyrmslayer---I must kill the Zombie Dragon. I want the Rod of Incineration---I must kill Faazvolfrul.
So far this has been good fun with a whole lot of frustration mixed in. I know it’s been said here by some that a Mage (at least early on) is the most difficult character to play, but I have had FAR more trouble with my cleric than my mage. Good cleric weaponry is hard to come by, and fighting fire enemies when your skills are sacred fire and Arbenos' Might is problematic to say the least.

I’ve had the least difficulty in virtually all circumstances with my warrior. I think it’s been pretty much established here that a warrior is the easiest character to play, and that has certainly been my experience as I’ve played each character through each level and quest. Haven’t had many problems with a warrior and Gris as companion.

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
Wow!
That's an interesting experiment!
I was looking for an excuse to start a new playthrough lolll, your "Comparative Parallel Run" idea looks fun.

Warriors have it easy, yes. And mages can be very weak and fragile early game, but it really depends on the choice of build. A mage can be extremely powerful early game too. I'd say mages vary the most from build to build, while warriors are the most stable / uniform class. Though rogues could almost be divided into 2 classes: archers and dead melee loll.

PS: I love your "No Stealing" rule!!! I often run past big bosses to steal an artifact in the chest behind them, then come back to fight them later in the game. It always feels dirty and cheaty loll.

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
I might start my first ironman playthrough ever and plan to go Mage. Which build makes mages strong in the early game? Gonna respec later into Summoner but need a way to actually get to that point without dropping dead lol

I was going to say "get the iron golem!" Lolll
It's possible to get it at level 7, but I wouldn't recommend it on Ironman hahaha

From my own experience, the most powerful early game mage (i.e. before Iron Golem lol) is simply the Arcane Weaver. The build goes full elemental offensive spells, with Lightning Bolt, then Fireball (don't blow yourself up lol), or even Ice Storm (if you know how to use its wall-bouncing effect properly - otherwise don't bother). A level 1 Mage Armor is also necessary for traps.

As the Arcane Weaver build focuses on offensive spells, it burns out its mana very quickly. But it's surprisingly powerful. The original build was made as a challenge, and wasn't allowed to use any weapons at all. At first I thought it would be an impossible build to play, but it turned out to be the easiest early game I've ever played, even without weapons! Of course I suggest you get one loll

For traits, I'd suggest focusing on INT for mana of course. But also END. A few points in END, for a Mage, make a *huge* difference in HP.
Post automatically merged:    

STARTING TIP

Get a mercenary, and then get Rodney (the grain seed merchant in Lannegar) to accompany you into the mine to save Teram, the prisoner. And once you free Teram, keep him in your team to go get Grissenda! They're weak, but they can fight. And getting Grissenda early should be a priority. (PS: mercenaries won't join you if you have a follower, so if you want one, you need to hire the mercenary first.)

Last edited: