Level-dependent battle bonus/malus?

MikeB

Staff member
Loreseeker
Have been wondering about this for a while:
Is the damage I deal to enemies and/or their defense against my attacks modified by the level difference? Or in other words, does it make a difference whether I attack a, lets say, lvl 10 orc with a lvl 9, 10, or 11 character? Provided, of course, that I have the same equipment and haven't spent any skill or trait points when leveling, so stats are still the same (except for the unavoidable HP/MP increase).

It's just that it often feels much easier to beat enemies of a certain level after gaining 1 or 2 myself, although my attack and defense values haven't changed. Maybe this is just a placebo effect or can someone enlighten me about the deep mysteries of battle math?

Dimidium

The formula doesn't take into account level difference.

On that note, level difference *really* matters for Massive Criticals though.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
MikeB":g3sd4k1o said:
It's just that it often feels much easier to beat enemies of a certain level after gaining 1 or 2 myself, although my attack and defense values haven't changed. Maybe this is just a placebo effect or can someone enlighten me about the deep mysteries of battle math?

It is a placebo. Level up has no hidden combat effects, the damage is the one displayed in the sheet. Unless you have level-dependant skills, of course, like Archery or Stab.

MikeB

Staff member
Loreseeker
DavidBVal":e4wvrehb said:
It is a placebo. Level up has no hidden combat effects, the damage is the one displayed in the sheet. Unless you have level-dependant skills, of course, like Archery or Stab.
Mmh, could have sworn there's something going on. So it's pure psychology, then. Or maybe it's ME becoming better with each level... Yeah, kind of like that idea... ;)

Dimidium

MikeB":1etnrr48 said:
DavidBVal":1etnrr48 said:
Mmh, could have sworn there's something going on. So it's pure psychology, then. Or maybe it's ME becoming better with each level... Yeah, kind of like that idea... ;)

Really, that's what it is. I remember when Rogues and so on were hard, and I also remember the first time I killed four at once with Whirlwind