Mage Build Help - Please

TycoonPDX

Hi,

New to the forum but not the game. I love this game, I really do.

I'm a lvl 23 Mage and just wondering if anyone has a bully build they would be willing to share with me as I find myself struggling in some areas of the late game. Open to all tips and suggestions

Thanks

HEYYOLUC

Maxing out mage barrier, staff mastery, and prescision shots then focusing on getting rumour loot is working pretty good for me at about the same level, think summoner is good to build from here but open to suggestions

Atomos

It's hard to recommend anything without information. Can you post your setup here:
?

VDX_360

Staff member
What parts of the late game?

That might help narrow down the challenge with the build.

I tend to enourage players try the Staff + Summons Mage paired with a 1-H Gris. One ultra quick review is here.

Mage's by design are supposed to have some areas that they struggle with due to their build choices, e.g. the ice golem is not going to like the fire pits at all.

In the Ark, mages can struggle against spiders without either heaving investing in mage barrier, or using summons. An tiny shock imp will hold it's own against wizards (they do pure shock damage). Iron Golems are overall tougher than Fire Golems, but the death blast will kill irone golems (and ice golems) pretty fast. No summons does well in radiation areas.

Kakost

So, I finished the game with Elementalist.

I tried the Staff Summoner and oh boy, how underwhelming I found it to be.

Throughout most of the game, the "basic elements" served me well enough.

After more or less lvl 20+, I felt the need for some change. So, I kept my lvl 4 Lightning, but I changed my Fireball for Combustion, and my Blizzard for Disintegrate, and I never looked back ever since.

The Ark is hard, yes but... Surprisingly I found it easier with my Elementalist than with the Summoner that I tried later.

I found out that the Summoner require too many skills to reach the lvl 18 golem; the Cooldown is insanely long and the mana that it drinks is no joke.

The Iron Golem does poor damage and not exactly a super tank, it doesnt help for much than 2 or 3 spiders individually, and barely nothing when they are in group.

So, from my experience, zapping them and running is better than using golems; just use healing potions. After that, the Ark became fairly easy.

I did got the Sparkling lvl 1 thou, as those are invaluable to deal with those damn Steel Wizards. It's still possible to deal with them without putting yourself in serious trouble withiut it, but the sparkling makes it so much easier, and particularly on IM you dont wanna take the unnecessary risk.

So for my "Elementalist" lvl 24, I have Zap 4, Mage Armor I believe was 2 or 3 (when I reseted I had to lower 1 lvl, Im not sure I bought it up back to 3 afterwards), Staff 4, Mana Surge 3, Combustion 3, Disintegrate 3, Arcanist 3, Gate 2. Im doing it from memory thou, I might be wrong here, but I guess it was it.

My traits were Str 2, End I believe was 4, Agi 4, Int 8 or 9, Awa 2, Per was 4. Im not exactly sure, but I believe it was it.

With these configurations, I went smoothly throughout the entire game.

Like I said, Summoner for me was paradoxically a lot harder.

VDX_360

Staff member
... Staff Summoner and oh boy, how underwhelming I found it to be.

Not an uncommon feedback from Players who like spellcasting.

In EK, spellcasting involves a very different game play than the Staff + Summon.

One player even went so far as to say Spellcasters actually have to play the game, while Staff mages just hide behind their summons.

In the Ark, the Fire Golem tends to do a little better than the Iron Giant. Those fire explosions heal it, whereas they make short work of the iron golem. The Iron Golem has solid shock resist.

Which leads back to the idea that it's just the build, but how you use it and fine tune it.

So, if you're all in the spellcasting vibe, and want to learn how to get the most out of your spells, feel encouraged. It's a powerful build.

Kakost

One player even went so far as to say Spellcasters actually have to play the game, while Staff mages just hide behind their summons.
Oh, I can see why someone would say that. Summoner is rather boring when compared to Elementalist, you certainly just duck and cover and throw some paper balls from behind the desk.

It is a good build undoubtedly, but not my cup of tea.