Mage woes

Vitas

But nothing beats Iron Golem 😆

I remember my first playthrough with mage on hard, I tried to complete Call of the Blood early, because you can get this quest when you hit lvl 13 so why wait 😏

Anyway, those knights in castle Storme destroyed me and my Grissenda, if I survived them then that poison stinky dude killed me, after waisting a sh*tton of potions, I killed the stinky one but then the beheaded ones got me.

So I got angry. After consulting the wiki I completed the prerequisites for Icemist, reset my skills, got Iron Golem + couple of points in Summoner.

Then I went to castle Storme again. My Iron badass mf*er killed EVERYTHING IN SIGHT. Completed the quest on first try. Hard mode became easy mode 😉

Last edited:

Vitas

Hmm... I wonder how did I complete that quest, can't remember. Probably summon Lesser demon, so that it does less dmg? 🤔
Post automatically merged:    

Also having 2Str helps with extra damage with burning club, I guess. I certainly didn't skill reset, that is too expensive and inefficient 🙂

Last edited:

VDX_360

Staff member
The two ways to beat the arena troll fight with a Summoner build:
1) Summon a fire elemental, a skill that can be learned fairly early in the game.,
2) Get lucky with the fire club. Only the killing blow has to have fire damage so let the Iron Golem tie up the troll and than flank the troll with the fire club. It might take a few regenerations, but sooner or later you'll get the killing blow. Than rinse and repeat with the other troll. If you get lucky, if can happen quickly.If you get unlucky, you can be there for awhile.

p4ran0id

Staff member
I recommend to start with ice storm, doesn't need much mana and can be very helpful. Most important about playing a mage is to get used to the playstile, rule nr1 is to run away before it get critical, don't be ashamed to run for your life, at beginning you have to do it very often. Also don't rush too much, better save than sorry.

VDX_360

Staff member
Players seem to under rate Ice Storm. Of the elemental spells in the game, Ice Storm requires the most situational awareness and set-up.

Wanna use Fireball? Get the enemies close together.
Want to maximise lightning bolt? Line them up.
Wanna squeeze all the damage out of Ice Storm? Get them in a place the spell can bounce around quite a bit.

Molokot

Wand is much more usefull early game than staff, it pushes back enemies and u can have shield equiped. You can respec for staves later.
Most importantly , you dont have to learn to use staves or wands in any places, simply do not target anything, just press button and it will autotarget closest thing, yes it is possible to play some other specs on mage, even melee, but strongest mage is simpliest one= ranged shooter + golem. And mage is much better ranged than rogue, so it only takes some patience at begining to level on weak enemies, and to learn how to unlock fast fire elemental, and that requires 3 easiest mage quests to do, so you can have it at level 7.

Vitas

The two ways to beat the arena troll fight with a Summoner build:
1) Summon a fire elemental, a skill that can be learned fairly early in the game.,
2) Get lucky with the fire club. Only the killing blow has to have fire damage so let the Iron Golem tie up the troll and than flank the troll with the fire club. It might take a few regenerations, but sooner or later you'll get the killing blow. Than rinse and repeat with the other troll. If you get lucky, if can happen quickly.If you get unlucky, you can be there for awhile.
If you summon lesser demon right before troll dies, it will replace the golem, it also deals less dmg than golem, so it's easier to do the killing blow with the club. Then resummon Iron Golem for next troll.

This requires to summon iron golem before entering arena, in the small room where you get armor and weapons. After summoning the golem, press extra recovery and then enter arena. This way you have full mana. Some people might not know this small trick.
This also applies for cleric + wolf.

I don't like investing in any golem other than Iron because others are MUCH weaker and also situational. The only bad enemy for Iron Golem that comes to my mind are the trolls.

I recommend to start with ice storm, doesn't need much mana and can be very helpful. Most important about playing a mage is to get used to the playstile, rule nr1 is to run away before it get critical, don't be ashamed to run for your life, at beginning you have to do it very often. Also don't rush too much, better save than sorry.

You can't kill the ice wolves and ice dragon in tower of Tremadan with the ice storm. This delays the Bag of Holding. The bag is mandatory as it makes the game a lot easier and smooth.

There are a lot of fun builds, but there is only one optimal build, which is max lightning + iron golem + hirge 😎

Molokot

There are a lot of fun builds, but there is only one optimal build, which is max lightning + iron golem + hirge 😎
I strongly disagree with that, Hirge is weak in comparison to Grisendda regardless what class and what spec you are playing+ theres no need to use ANY ofensive spell for a whole game, and you arent weaker, but stronger from that, because you dont waste skill points on things that arent realy usefull, just can add some fun if somebody likes them.

Vitas

Iron Golem tends to get hurt later in the game. You need Hirge to heal him. Grissenda is strong if you invest tomes in her, but then you can't complete the Ark of Lothassan. If I remember correctly you had troubles because of that, or am I wrong, Molokot? 😁

Last edited: