The Saga of the IM Mage

Neponde

I was finding the game a bit too easy, so I decided to start an ironman mage. Even on Hard, if I stumbled I knew it was just a matter of a bit more grinding and I could get there easily.

So here we go. This is a whole new level of thrill. So far I've completed Lannegar, and obtained Griss. I don't think I have ever beat the firedancer at level 3, and I probably will not attempt such a risky feat again!

I'll be posting a 'log' of my character. Perhaps another aspiring ironman can learn from any critical mistakes, or a well meaning veteran can warn me of an impending disaster!

Neponde

Meandered on down to Kingsbridge, after killing a few coyotes. Sacked the bandit hideout. Now, in the words of one well known ranger, "Lets hunt some orc."

I almost died going for the white wolf pelt. Underestimated how hard it hits, and burned almost all my pots running away. It was a healthy reminder to keep encounters level appropriate.

Neponde

Usually, I pick an element and run with it for early mage. This time, I'm running multiple elements, and upgrading wands instead of staves. Its a very different play style than I'm used to, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it. An Ironman run probably shouldn't be a time for an experimental build, but oh well.

What I like about this is it shoves the mobs into Griss to aggro and off me, and I can clear entire rooms very quickly. Since all 3 spells are low level, they cost little mana, and when lobbing them all it does very high dps. Very strong for only 3 skill points. This also frees up points for greater wand damage and mage barrier. Effortlessly nuked the skeleton room, the ghouls, and all the minibosses so far with this build.

The unknown dungeon was much easier with this setup too.

In the maze now, getting some great loot and trying to get horns (at level 7..never done that yet).

Neponde

Continuing to chip away at quests and level up. The multi element build is starting to feel slightly weaker, as each spell hits only about 1.5x harder than my wand at this point. Advantageous against high armor foes, however, and i do feel quite a bit safer with mage armor so high. Thinking I will level lighting to 3, then the others to 2. Or, just skip the other elements, and get mage barrier for added safety. Should be almost ready to access icemist and switch to summoner by then.

Meanwhile, time to hunt some rumor bosses, and clear out some dungeons.

Neponde

Well, that ended suddenly. Primary lesson: research the area and boss. I forgot the batrax boss paralyzed. Hah.

All told it was probably about 7 hours in. Cant complain too much, as it was my first attempt and I figured it would end this way! Had more fun with this mage than I have in a while in game, and at the end of the day, that's what its about.

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
I will avenge you, my Thuramian brother!
I will send my Adamantium Golem against those despicable Batrax pests, and punish their evil boss!!! :D

Mages are so much fun to play. Their fragility is what makes them so fun imo, mages are the embodiment of the expression "High Risk, High Reward"!

But playing Ironman is crazy.
Maybe it's time I give it a try...

Neponde

Haha, yeah. Despite the setback, I think I'll recreate this character and give it another go. I was having way too much fun. When I first purchased the game about 18 months ago, I thought I would never touch ironman. But it feels like the ultimate challenge now. I'll continue the saga once I get back to the shards of fate. I know not many will read it, but I enjoy logging anyways.

I'll be satisfied to beat the ark. Havent decided if I want to go peaceful, or risk it all at the parasite. After that, I'll start chipping away at a "full" completion, killing all remaining epic bosses.

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
I did try Ironman once, died super fast loll
It wasn't memorable hehehe
Now, what character should I try for my new Ironman run....
Obviously, to play a true Iron Man, I will need an Iron Golem... Loll Maybe learn Arcane Blade so I can wield an Iron Golem arm as a weapon loll... Is there another iron item a mage can use? Hehehe I'm really hyped by this. Don't have a lot of time to play these days though, and I'm afraid of the horrible heartbreak when my character will die... I tend to die a lot lol

Neponde

Arcane blade ironman sounds like a recipe for disaster. I'm not sure about iron weapons, you may have to play a bit more traditional!