The Shamans' Way: New play diary (Summoner Cleric)

Gr8Scott

No Battle Prayer yet, I still need 20 rep with Ilmara in order to do so.
@Kakost Ilmara rep is not needed for cleric guild members. (I repeat myself)
If you have Guardian Wolf you have access to the temple in New Garand. In the back room, only accessible to cleric guild members, is a teleport rune to the Hall in Navaria.

Last edited:

Kakost

@Kakost Ilmara rep is not needed for cleric guild members. (I repeat myself)
If you have Guardian Wolf you have access to the temple in New Garand. In the back room, only accessible to cleric guild members, is a teleport rune to the Hall in Navaria.
I see. So, I have to go over New Garand, and then when I want to leave their hall I have to use the rune back to New Garand?

Gr8Scott

when I want to leave their hall I have to use the rune back to New Garand?
You have the option to transport back to New Garand with the same rune, or the "<" rune transports you out of the hall into the center of Navaria.

Kakost

Yep, I've already bought Battle Prayer, but I havent put any points in it yet.

As of now, Im starving for skill points and gold. Holy 3, how Im starving for gold. I didnt even bought my 4th slot at the bank yet. I decided to briefly hit the Maze to adress this issue. I've already completed the "Master's Laboratory" to have a nice Bag of Holding to help; I've reached the Maze 2 but a mix of bad decisions forced me to teleport away. Now I have 20 mana potions and no gold (just 1k), that should be enough for me to clear the 2 lvls of the Maze without much trouble and do the "Orbs of Galade" (Im not about to just simply get there for the sole purpose of farming, no no). After that I'll try again to defeat a certain crazy centurian in New Garand (I had to run the first time) in order to get to Lady Xidar.

I should be hitting lvl 14 pretty soon, but I guess I'll get Wolf 3 before getting the first lvl of Battle Prayer, that will improve my wolf to lvl 16, what do you think? Wolf 3 or Battle Prayer 1?

Alternatively I could also take Heal 3 for better support and sustainability, Im beggining to feel a need for it, specially in certain attempts to keep my wolf alive when it is target by critters.

Fighting groups of enemies is still my main weakness at the moment, but for the most part I can handle it. Maybe Battle Prayer would be a good help in that regard
Post automatically merged:    

So, to have all that I want I need 2 sp for Heal 3, 2 sp for Wolf 3, 6 sp for Battle Prayer 3 and another 6 sp for Flames of Faith... That's a total of 16 skill points still needed. Or another 8 lvls (so I'll have it all at lvl 22, more or less around the Ark). If I remove heal I can save 3 points, and if I get 1 extra sp from the visions at the Nivarian temple, that would mean I could have all those at lvl 19 (without heal).

Yes, it's pretty doable and a pretty solid build. For very very late game it's even possible to add Beast Master in order to have a backup summon in case the wolf dies (probably at lvl 24 you can have it all, including Heal, maybe hitting the Ark with the full package, but certainly having it all for the Sewers of Horrors and Temple of the Ancients).

Last edited:

Neponde

[I need sp!]
Alternatively, when you are ready to reset, you can drop gate, and heal 3, that's 5 sp, and this tome gives you another one. That's 6. The ones from the sewer bosses are a no go for now. But the one from Adaon's side quest is accessible. That would give you a max battle prayer, or flames of faith a bit earlier. You could also trade summoner 3 for a slightly weaker wolf (1 level) and be 1 level ahead on maxing FOF. That would give you heal 2, summoner 2, FOF 3, Bp 3 a bit quicker.

Kakost

Alternatively, when you are ready to reset, you can drop gate, and heal 3, that's 5 sp, and this tome gives you another one. That's 6. The ones from the sewer bosses are a no go for now. But the one from Adaon's side quest is accessible. That would give you a max battle prayer, or flames of faith a bit earlier. You could also trade summoner 3 for a slightly weaker wolf (1 level) and be 1 level ahead on maxing FOF. That would give you heal 2, summoner 2, FOF 3, Bp 3 a bit quicker.
I completely forgot the one from the Observatory. Yeah, very true (see, there's always a detail that we forget).

So yeah, the one from the visions and the one from Adaon's quest, both are more easily accessible. Yes, there are many possible combinations for this combo Heal+Wolf+B.Prayer+FoF+Summoner for having all of those earlier on without them all being maxed. And it's certain that I can have them all maxed by late game, and by the end of the late game you can even add Beast Master to the mix.

So yes, the build is solid, fun and pretty good.

I'll play a bit more, I want to hire a mercenary and try out some 4-some with B.Prayer and perhaps FoF, but for the most part Im already satisfied with the results. Sacred Fire has been amazing for all those Tolassian Tombs out there, it really makes life so much easier and helped me advance very fast, Arbenos Might 1 is incredible in augmenting my DPS, Thelume's Wisdom 1 is pretty self explanatory, great for finding secret doors, Intervention and Heal need no explanation either, the Wolf is absolutely amazing, so much better than I thought it would be, and Summoner truly improves it massively, so now I just needed to see exactly how effective B.Prayer and FoF are for that build, but Im more than satisfied with the results as it is.

One other comment, this hasnt been nearly as mana intensive as I thought it would be, and at the same time, my Cleric's mana pool is a lot more respectable than I imagined. I truly havent struggled with mana at all - the only moments that this happened were when my survival were at stake, thus I had to rely too heavily on Intervention and/or Heal. Otherwise, for Mid to Late game any mana concerns are also offset by dipping potions. As of right now, I already set off 20 mid mana potions for emergencies, a number to be kept constant (if I use any of them, I'll buy those back), and to be used only when really needed.

Kakost

Post automatically merged:    

Heal 3 requires 3 sp 😣

So, I went for Wolf 3. Im about to test it. No Battle Prayer yet, but no hurry. I think I'll just keep Heal on 2 - or I'll do Adaon's quest and get 1 more lvl (to 15).

Then, the next 3 lvls would be to max Battle Prayer (at lvl 18), and finally 3 more for Flames of Faith (at lvl 21).

So, this looks like the plans for the future. Now Im also getting to a point that I may want to hunt for specific items for both myself and Griss

Kakost

Tiny update, I used a few minutes from my lunch hour, and with that I took Lady Xidar down; yes, it was super easy, doing this quest at lvl 14 is totally overkill.

The reason why I took so long is because I wanted to defeat Decurion Sarggos (or whatever his proper name his). That was no joke. I had to use Wolf 3 and several potions.

HOWEVER...

It was totally worth it, because I found out something new that I had no idea before.

See, you can actually run around from him once he begins to go crazy on your skin, and in so doing, trying to give time for Griss to wake up, I found out that you can run towards Adaon... And Adaon will fight him as well.

I suspect that Hirge would do the same, I dont know because in the middle of my panic attack that idea didnt occured to me, but Im sure it's just the same (thou I really dont remember if after 3 vs 11 Hirge is still south of town, or if she only stays on the temple afterwards).

So, now I know that, in order to more easily take him down, all I need to do is tell Griss to wait by close to either Adaon and Hirge (maybe in this very specific case Adaon may be better, because of his Stab massive damage), and then I just run towards them and let my gang help up.

You see, we learn something everyday...

Anyway, eventually I defeated him, went to the Grotto and everything in Lady Xidar's cave was super easily smashed, including herself (no pun intended).

So, for a few minutes of play, that was the progress I made.

Im thinking about doing Cold Trail but... Nah, too weak for that still. Besides, when I do it, I wanna do it properly (meaning, with B.Prayer).

So, back to a few sidequests, time to check to list to decide which ones to pursue next.

Gr8Scott

@Kakost I just checked Summon Bear. Summoner3 does not raise it to lvl 13. You get a useless lvl 10 bear for that skill point. I recemmend to stay with elemental scrolls with Battle Prayer as alternate summons.
This seems like a very low level(useless) ability considering you need such a high Rep (thus higher skill lvl) with Varannari to acquire it.

Kakost

@Kakost I just checked Summon Bear. Summoner3 does not raise it to lvl 13. You get a useless lvl 10 bear for that skill point. I recemmend to stay with elemental scrolls with Battle Prayer as alternate summons.
This seems like a very low level(useless) ability considering you need such a high Rep (thus higher skill lvl) with Varannari to acquire it.
Well, that's a bummer. Oh well.

Phew! Im so busy lately that I havent been able to touch the game so far. A pity, but I dont know when or even if I'll ever be able to finish this diary.

But, I'd say it is already a huge success. I can see that B.Prayer AND Flames of Faith are fully usable for it, and with high Per (even at the low level of 14 is already 5, +1 from item which will be +2 with Bishop Ring) and moderately high Int (it's 3 or 4 already, and there's no reason not to have it at 4 in order to increase the mana pool, and there are late game items that give +2, for a total of 6), and considering how mid mana potions costs mere pennies at late game, Im 100% sure that the Shaman (Summoner Cleric) can use Wolf, B.Prayer and FoF, as well as Heal 3 and Intervention 3, strengthened with Summoner 3, without any concerns about mana, and having all those skills maxed at lvl 21 which, all things considered, it is still "early late game", so there's plenty of stuff to enjoy this build to its fullest (not just Ark, but the witches groove, the pit, Sunken Citatel and many many more), and there's still room to add something extra with those skill points from lvls 22 to 25, not even taking into consideration the extra skill points from the SoH.

And in terms of traits, there's even room to improve a bit of fighting skills if wanted, adding some Str (or Agi) to imcrease a bit of damage and whatnot, since it's not really necessary to put so much into Per or Int (like it is for a Mage for example).

I havent really gave it all that much thought about it, but it is possible to add something damage skills, or maybe defensive ones (B.Development may be an option). Those options can be taken into consideration, or just keep increasing some more "divine mojo" magics, I don't know.

Therefore, pretty solid build, super approved, super fun (a lot more than I was expecting).

I think the Summoner Cleric does indeed deserves it's own space rather than being just a simple variation over the Church of the Three spellcaster. It's a fantastic and memorable game experience, I fully recommend.

And as for your initial thoughts, Im pretty confident that Flames of Faith is a superb addition to it.