Tips for starting iron man

TrueVanguard

I finished my cleric run in normal yesterday. I want to try out iron man for some challenge. Can anyone give some tips? I will be playing as a mage this run.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Mage Armor is a must, maybe not for level 1 but certainly for level 2

Regardless of later respecs of your skills, you might find a wand build more easy to survive in early-mid level, thanks to the extra stats granted by orbs, and the wand pushback.

About elemental attacks: Ice Storm is harder to control, but if you get the hang of it and spam it indoors, it's great.

p4ran0id

Staff member
I finished my cleric run in normal yesterday. I want to try out iron man for some challenge. Can anyone give some tips? I will be playing as a mage this run.

Yeah, I can help you, my Ironman mage is still Nr 1 in google play leaderboard 😎

The start will be hard, be ready to die very often...

Start with end (1) and rest agi for traits.

Skill I recommend you to get ice storm lvl 1, it's really helpful for start (see my BOSTASH competition).
On lvl 2 get lesser summoner, it will help you to survive, he won't do much damage, but is a nice decoy if you have to flee, and you will flee very often at the beginning.
Mage armor is next one you need, it's not needed in Lannegar mine (traps only slow you down) but later it's a must have (also in Lannegar tomb), otherwise you're dead once you step on one.

Staff is the best weapon for you, also go for summoner build.

Most important thing is to get gris as soon as possible, I can get her on lvl 2,but it needs lot of practice, about lvl 3-5 it should be possible for you to get her, no need to fight there, just grab the ring and flee (speed potions are very helpful)

Also check that video, it was a small competition from BOSTASH who can get the firedancer kill on Ironman as early as possible, it shows very good how to use mage Ironman on low lvl.

SoulHunter

Can we consider a player who finished the game in iron man, but using backup every time he died?

p4ran0id

Staff member
Can we consider a player who finished the game in iron man, but using backup every time he died?
no it's not possible. But Ironman is all about the honor, so if you want to use backup, just play on hard. It's same but with saves.

I even dropped my rogue Ironman after killing the horror because of a stupid glitch, I quit the game during end scene to upload the video and was stucked on upper floor. She was not dead, but it would be wrong to continue playing her with a backup.

So it's up to you, Ironman is for the thrill to be a real Explorer always one step to your grave.

Last edited:

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
That save-backup is annoying.

Perhaps, if a tech fix ever happens, if the game loads a sets of saves, be it physical or online, any Ironman characters get a flag set "reloaded" and from that point that character will not appear in leaderboards?

SoulHunter

In your opinion is it valid to end the game in iron man, using the backup every time you die? That would be unethical, since I ended up as a mage using the backup every time I died.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
I wouldn't use the word unethical since you didn't do anything bad. But it wouldn't be a real Iron Man run.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
How is it not bad to misuse the save system if it puts yourself on a leaderboard where the respect is based on you not having a save?

(I'm not accusing anyone here of doing that, just asking about the principle).

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
How is it not bad to misuse the save system if it puts yourself on a leaderboard where the respect is based on you not having a save?

(I'm not accusing anyone here of doing that, just asking about the principle).

Well, if you do it to try to get on top of the leaderboard, then that's not good sportmanship. But many players don't care about leaderboards, maybe never even looked at it, and are just experimenting and trying things with an offline game. Hardly a bad thing then. Anyways, leaderboards get hacked so easily... there's tools to force a game to score max on any scoreboard, be it from google or steam, that's why I haven't put much effort in them.