Tordak's search for power (A mage story)

Viktorinoxx

I started my first wizard and when I was level 3 almost 4, someone gave me the idea of searching for a good wand first, even if it was in an area my character wasn't ready to clear yet.

I liked it, it was like a "seeking power" wizard lore, going to exotic places to get powerfull items risking his life to become really powerfull (yeah like old Voldy trying to get every important magical object).

So here goes the first adventure of Tordak Xaatull:

Being a power-hungry broke wizard in Lannegar with a crappy willow wand was not going to get Tordak anywhere close to joining the incredibly powerfull and respected Wizard Guild, and let's be honest, if you wan't to call yourself a wizard you have to be in The Guild, otherwise you are just a guy who can do some tricks with a stick.

Tordak was thinking about his bad situation when he remembered the old saying, "When you find yourself broke in Lannegar is when you really start the story of your life". He realized he already had the "broke" and "in Lannegar" parts, so he had to find out how to start that "story of your life" thing.
He asked himself "What's the most important thing to a wizard?" And inmediately answered "a mighty wand".

So that was it, he decided he needed to find a wand that helped him to start his journey of becoming a great wizard, and who knows, maybe the best of his time.

He had listened a while ago a drunk wizard talking about a wand that had the power of lighting, it was like a portable storm. In fact the old wizard called it the "Storm wand", he said there were very few of them in the world, and he bragged that he knew a wizard who had one and let him try it once. He said this wizard went to work in a new lab in the Wyverntail Valley and haven't heard about him in decades, but remembered reading in the
news in a visit to Icemist that some lab in the south was having problems, the wizards were being unable to control the experiments, and were taking cassualties they said it might have to be closed down.

Tordak made his mind, he will find that lab. It seemed the wand could be there if that fellow was one of the cassualties left back. It was a long shot, and it was risky but better that than just sit in Lannegar listenning people talk about the great days of the bluesteel mine.

After almost being killed by wolves and wyvern welps he found the lab, it was in ruins and there were some toxic fumes around, but he had some invisivility and healing potions so he felt prepared to sneak inside and get the wand without being noticed. Once inside, he saw an old statue engraved with the lab's inauguration date, it matched wit the story od the old wizard. Tordak drank the invisibility potion and wen't inside. The toxic fumes inside were too concentrated, and he soon realized there is no point in being invisible if you are coughing and choking. Soon he heard some growls and saw 2 big monsters running towards him. He ran for the exit and manage to escape by a hair's breadt.

After almost bein killed by those monsters, he realised that even if the wand was there, he wasn't strong enough to get it at this moment, so he went back to Lannegar to reagroup and investigate about other wands.

When in Lannegar Tordak asked questions to the people that might know something, but there wasn't much magic knowledge in there, so he took some quests in order to earn money and be able to go to other places where he might find the information he needed.

While retrieving some Zombie flesh for Lannegar priest (You know, whatever is needed to earn some gold) he meet a Royal Loreseeker who told him that tolassians had powerfull non-arcane wands that were imbued with death energy; and some undead still wielded those in some tombs. Tordak eyes shined, there was a tomb a few miles away from Lannegar and he was going there to get some gross zombie flesh anyway.

He asked more questions about the tombs, and sadly the loreseeker told him that the references where not to all tolassian tombs, but to 3 specific big tombs and the one close to Lannegar wasn't one of them. After some more talking he realized that those 3 tombs the loreseeker mentioned were way out of his league, he had learned the lesson in the lab.

A couple of days later when he was almost ready to leave Lannegar and try luck in Kingsbrige, Tordak was having a drink at the inn, and met a sailor named Urtas that had arrived to Lannegar that same day, Urtas started telling a story about the sea and the weird frogg-like creatures called Batrax, he said there was a little islet near New Anthur where he had to spend a night because a storm made imposible to reach New Anthur's port. In there the crew listened o some strange song like noises in the night and saw some fires in the distance, since they didn't know the place they stayed inside the ship, but in the morning they went to explore, to see if they coul find a treassure or something, and indeed they found some pearls, but at a high cost, because there was a Batrax tribe there, and they we're fierce, they had spears, and there were someones that have some blue sticks that fired a cold energy that frozed your very core and could paralize you, he saw some of his friends shaking in mid day like if they were in the Icemist Fiords, incapable to walk or even defend themselves. He looked up and said: "I still remember Rogar laughing, saying out loud he had even found a Ruby and a Sapphire, but he was frozen right before getting to the ship and didn't make it". Several sailors died that day, the lucky ones who scaped like Urtas, got tho get drunk several days in memory of the fallen ones with the money they got selling the pearls.

Tordak eyes where open like plates, those Batrax had wat he wanted, he asked the sailor how far from New Anthur was the islet, and found out that with a calmed see, you could get there in a small boat, but Urtas told him to avoid the place if he intended to keep his head over his shoulders.

After that Tordak bought a couple more beers and instead of keep asking questions, he changed the subject out of respect to the fallen sailors. He new that with the information he already had, he wold be able to find the islet, and then... The wand.

Before leaving, Tordak made a bodyguard job for a merchant and meet a woman called Grissenda (Griss for now on) who was pretty much a broke adventurer like him, and they decided to join and help each other.

They started the trip to New Anthur and found a herd of bears in the way there, they realized they were not strong enough to kill them all and had to run for their lives, to the point that Tordak drove the herd of angry bears to the city, they were everywhere, even got to the inn Tordak scaped going down to the docks, thanking god New Anthur's docks were built onw level down the city and you have to use stairs to get there. After taking back his breath he went back up and helped the guards getting rid of the bears.

After making that huge entrance, miraculously they didn't got expelled from the city. In a few days Tordak was able to find a crazy old man with a boat that agreed to take them to the islet in exchange for some strong rum.

In the islet they discovered that what Urgas had said was true, the Batrax were fierce and the mages really had wands that could freeze people, griss got hit once and almost didn't make it, but in the end after a hard fight that almost costs them their lives, they managed to kill one of the Batrax theurgist's and Tordak finally got the wand. It was slippery and felt gross to the touch, but it felt way more powerfull than the old willow wand he had, with the new Batrax wand they were able to get rid of a couple of batrax that were still chasing them and got back to the boat.

In the boat back to New Anthur, Tordak was smiling silently, realizing that the Lannegar saying was true, certain that his dream of becommimg a great wizard was going to happen.

His journey had just started.

Commiades

Really enjoyed reading this. I find wand mages the most satisfying characters to play. I usually end up with the Wand of Scorching as my second wand. The elemental damage is so deadly; You need Deepfrost Cognac to power it. Next I can get the Icy Wand. From there the Rod of Incineration is possible to get by sneaking - even more costly to power - and the Batrax Wand. When I get access to Icemist and have Arcanist I, I go in search of the Imperial Battlemage’s Wand. That’s really effective until I go to Arcanist II. The Wand of Storms is a bigger challenge, but worth it.

Viktorinoxx

Nice tip on the deepfrost cognac!

In my actual run I have these ones:
-Batrax: It was my main since the begginning.
-Rod of incineration: this one is a beast but is expensive.
-Branch of the holy tree: I thought it would be better, I almost don't use it.
-Wand of storms: replaced Batrax as my main because of the stun.

I got all of those sneaking, it was really fun xD

Now I want Wand of power, but I just cant kill Myrso yet, I'll have to wait.

Commiades

It's fun getting the Branch of the Holy Tree, but it really has only one use -- against Shadows. I find the Imperial Battlemage's Wand useful for a window of time before I want to get Arcanist II; it pairs with the Wand of Storms in the midgame. The Wand of Power is really too expensive on mana until quite late. The stun on it and the Wand of Storms is great.

Viktorinoxx

What level did you get the Wand of Storms? Was it using stealth or speed?

I used speed potions, disabled the barrier, and then runned to the chest, it took several tries, I believe the lvl was 10 or 12, not sure, the iron golems were really hard at that time.