Who's the best companion for you and why?

Vitas

Griss is also unkillable if played right, you just use health potions instead of mana potions. With max Body Development she is a fatass 😉
Post automatically merged:    

Especially if you play with rogue, rogue wants to hit from behind, Hirge if she tanks and is stunned, can't heal and burns all her mana for Intervention. Even with stun immunity, late game bosses kill her too fast, so she will burn her mana for Intervention anyway. Then you need to feed her mana = waste of mana potions. Vs many weak minions, rogue and Hirge are both single target, takes a while to kill them. Rogue can't hit them from behind for easy Assassinate, because they swarm both Hirge and rogue. But with Griss? Griss attracts them with cleave, Rogue is free to attack from behind, then Assassinate + Assassinate + Assassinate, whole crowd is dead in couple of seconds.

Last edited:

p4ran0id

Staff member
Well, in endgame mana potions doesn't matter much at all. Yeah I fully agree that also gris and even Adaon is a nice companion, but my most favourite girl is still Hirge

I even used her for my child of faith cleric build (the one with joining the three)

Vitas

😀I never use double cleric, though it could be fun I guess. Its like double Hags, they heal each other and are somewhat tanky, very difficult to kill, need to separate

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
Since I mostly play mages, Grissenda is my best defense. I don't care about her attacks, I just want her to be a portable wall so I can hide behind loll. Plus, warrior equipment is awesome and found everywhere, and I don't use it. So Gris takes it all. And she doesn't drink my blue liquor, unlike Hirge who keeps stealing it from my bag all the time I'm sure. The Warrior-Wizard duo is the best choice for ressource management.

For a multiplayer game though, Hirge is the best by far though, since she can heal every party member. Without her, they just die all the time.

But Adaon is hilarious and sweet, he's BFF material.

Captain SlowHands

Hirge, because its best tank even on Ironman runs. It's nearly impossible to kill her if you play it right. She helped me to kill unweakened undermother and much more. She's my most favourite companion for every build (even for double cleric)
that is a good precaution p4ranOid..thanks for the info 👍...is that thing really hard when unweakened? I have not tried it yet, well I guess I should not underestimate the undermother....I am tempted to try poison skilled archer Adaon at unweakened undermother, but I guess its going to be a tough battle and a scary one too especially at Ironman runs, so I think I better stick to Hirge when it comes to unweakened undermother.. remember Do not under the undermother ...lol 😆..

Since I mostly play mages, Grissenda is my best defense. I don't care about her attacks, I just want her to be a portable wall so I can hide behind loll. Plus, warrior equipment is awesome and found everywhere, and I don't use it. So Gris takes it all. And she doesn't drink my blue liquor, unlike Hirge who keeps stealing it from my bag all the time I'm sure. The Warrior-Wizard duo is the best choice for ressource management.

For a multiplayer game though, Hirge is the best by far though, since she can heal every party member. Without her, they just die all the time.

But Adaon is hilarious and sweet, he's BFF material.
yeah, especially the 3some froggy thing..lmao🤣

Choosing a companion can be a tricky matter.

My least used companion is Adaon, because he is squishy. The only viable strat for him is together with cleric in cleric guild, where you buff him and position him behind the enemy while your cleric tanks. The problem is, Adaon has no AOE skill, so Griss with Cleave skill is just better, imho.

Between Hirge and Griss, it depends.

For Summoner Mage, I use Griss until I get Iron Golem, then switch tho Hirge

For Warrior and Rogue, now here things get interesting. Both Hirge and Griss are viable solutions.
Many people think Hirge is op because cognac+intervention makes her undying. The problem is, Hirge has no AOE dmg (same as Adaon), also Griss can learn Body Development (after quest), coupled with high HP warrior armor, Griss is notably tankier than Hirge. Honestly, without Intervention, Hirge is unable to tank late game bosses. So you always need to micromanage her mana. Also the way she heals herself first, then your MC, also requires micromanagement. Without mana she is just a weak version of Grissenda.

Griss on the other hand is simple and reliable. Just give her some HP potions during boss fights, and you will be alright 😁

On the other hand, if you max Extra Recovery, you can 'reset' Hirge to full mana multiple times, which means insane amount of healing.

Conclusion: I like both girls, Adaon sucks 😀
I love using Griss for farming and you are right about how fast Griss can kill the mobs due to her cleave attacks 👍

Last edited:

EinzOoal

Who would you prefer? is it Grissenda, Hirge or Adaon
Grissenda best gril
Hirge too holy
Adaon so sensitive

Who would you prefer? is it Grissenda, Hirge or Adaon
Grissenda - best gril and runaway Juliet
Hirge - sweet maiden but don't know what she wants..
Adaon - sly cooper with daddy issues..

Last edited:

VDX_360

Staff member
Who is the better Companion is a very old question that comes down to Character Build, Playing Style and a little bit of the exact area. Let's discuss objectively using damage output, dungeon durability and rate-of-progress. Through that lens, most players, in most areas, will find the following to be mostly true:

Healer Hirge is overall more useful. Esp in the early to mid-game when healing potions are cost prohibitive. Giving Hirge active skills can make her more powerful in combat but reduces her ability as a tank healer and can add some AI oddities (e.g. using Might against a fire elemental). Hirge might struggle in areas when multiple strong enemies attack at once. Your main character will have to have a way to deal with crowds (summons, skills, play style, etc).

Griss is solid across the board. She does really well as a tank, esp in the early to mid-game. She does well as a 2-H warrior in the late game. Note the reduced trait points for Companions means she gets less damage benefit from Two Hand Expert but the stun chance is nifty. The trade off is you'll find yourself needing an inn more often. If you're playing as a Cleric, that helps offset that need.

Adaon can be situationally useful, but he'll struggle to stay alive which reduces his usefulness. Rogues, as a class, require good player control to get the full benefit of their class. However, Companion AI is infamously limited. That means Adaon will often act in a way that directly conflicts with his skills. Experienced players can offset some of Adaon's limitations with adjusting their playing style.

Keep in mind the Companions were added to the game in the order of Adaon, Griss, than Hirge. That meant the Developer had more experience, and feedback, to adjust Companions. Hirge benefits from that extra time.

Lastly, it's more important to use a Companion you enjoy than it is to worry about "the best." If you're having fun, and are reasonably progressing the game, than you have the Companion you need.

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
May I add my own personal favorite companion of all times?

Gigatron, the Iron Golem!!!!!

He lacks personality, but never complains, and he's very patient. :)