Types of Resistances
Resistance represents your ability to withstand elemental attacks. There are six elements in the game and six corresponding Resistances.
- - Resistance against Fire
- - Resistance against Cold
- - Resistance against Shock
- - Resistance against Death
- - Resistance against Poison
- - Resistance against Stun and Paralysis.
Fire, Cold, Shock, Death and Poison Resistance provide damage reduction through a non-linear equation that offers diminishing returns for higher resistance values. Lower values provide 1 percentage point of damage reduction, while higher amounts will provide 1/2, 1/3 and 1/4 of a percentage point of damage reduction, respectively. A break down is below:
- Resistance values between 0 and 50: Each Resistance point provides 1.0% of damage reduction.
- Resistance values between 51 and 80: Each Resistance point provides 0.5% damage reduction.
- Resistance values between 81 and 110: Each Resistance point provides 0.33% damage reduction.
- Resistance values between 110 and 210: Each Resistance point provides 0.25 damage reduction.
- At a Resistance value of 210, 100% damage reduction is reached making the player immune to that damage type.
- Resistance value of 50 - Damage reduction by 50% (half-damage)
- Resistance value of 86 - Damage reduction by 50% + 30%/2 + 6%/3 = 67% (one-third damage)
- Resistance value of 110 - Damage reduction by 50% + 30%/2 + 30%/3 = 75% (one-quarter damage)
- Resistance value of 210 - Damage reduction by 50% + 30%/2 + 30%/3 + 100%/4 = 100% (immunity)
The above calculations show the following thumb-rules:
- 50 Resistance for half-damage.
- 86 Resistance for one-third damage.
- 110 Resistance for one-fourth damage.
- 210 Resistance for full immunity.
Note: Damage calculations are rounded down. Thus an incoming attack that would do 7.25 points of damage, will only do 7 points of damage.
Negative Immunity: Some equipment, such as Primal Ice provides a negative Resistance Value. If a player's final Resistance is negative, damage is increased, not reduced. The same equation above is used. This having -40 Resistance would increase incoming damage by 40%, and having -210 would double incoming damage.
Stun and Paralysis Resistance
Spirit resistance behaves differently than the other resistances. The same percentage calculation is done above, but rather than reducing damage, the calculated percentage is used to assign odds for the outcome of a Stun or Paralysis attack. Stun and Paralysis attacks are the same, except paralysis attacks last a lot longer and are impacted differently by the Warrior Skill Infantry Training.
When your character is hit by a Stun or Paralysis attack, one of three outcomes will occur:
- Outcome 1: You receive the full blow of the Stun or Paralysis attack. You are stunned / paralyzed for the entire duration. You cannot move or take action while in stunned / paralyzed. Note: passive abilities such as the Cleric's skill Intervention will still work.
- Outcome 2: You partially resist the effect and are stunned / paralyzed for half the normal period.
- Outcome 3: You fully resist the effect. You are not stunned / paralyzed at all.
The chances of which of the three outcomes is determined by Spirit Resistance. First, using the Resistance equations above, your Spirit Resistance is converted into a Calculated Spirit Percentage, and than that Calculated Spirit Percentage is used to determine the chance of each outcome in the manner below:
- Outcome 1, taking the full effect of stun / paralyze attack occurs with the chance of (100% - Calculated Spirt Percentage).
- Outcome 2, taking half effect of the stun / paralyze attack occurs with the chance of ( Calculated Spirt Percentage / 2).
- Outcome 3, taking no effect of the stun / paralyze attack occurs with the chance of (Calculated Spirit Percentage / 2).
- Note: The chances of Outcome 2 and Outcome 3 are the same.
If you have a Spirit Resistance of 86, you get a Calculated Spirit Percentage of 67%. That's based on 1% per point up to 51, and 0.5% for each point between 51 and 86. Using that 67% value, we get the following:
- Chances of Outcome 1, taking full effect of the stun / paralyze attack: 100% - 67% = 33%.
- Chance of Outcome 2, taking half effect of the stun / paralyze attack: 67%/2 = 33.5%
- Chance of Outcome 3, taking no effect of the stun / paralyzed attack: 67%/2 = 33.5%%
This means a player with a Spirit Resistance of 86, still has a combined 66.5% chance of getting partially, or fully stunned / paralyzed.
If we use a Spirit Resistance of 22, we a Spirit Percentage of 22, and the following:
- Chances of Outcome 1, taking full effect of the stun / paralyze attack: 100% - 22% = 78%
- Chance of Outcome 2, taking half effect of the stun / paralyze attack: 22%/2 = 11%
- Chance of Outcome 3, taking no effect of the stun / paralyzed attack: 22%/2 = 11%
This means a player with a Spirit Resistance of 22, has a combined 89% chance to get partially or fully stunned / paralyzed.
Warriors that have the skill Infantry Training reduce their paralyze time by half. If they take full effect (Outcome 1), they will only be paralyzed for half the duration (1 x 1/2 = 1/2). If they partially resist the attack (Outcome 2), they will only be paralyzed for one-quarter of the duration ( 1/2 of 1/2 = 1/4). Warriors with Infantry Training are immune to stun.
A character can still get hit with a new stun / paralyze attack while they are stunned / paralyzed. This can result in a character being chain stunned or chain paralyzed. This can prove frustrating and fatal against strong enemies that hit with frequent paralyzing attacks.
Most enemies possess some sort of elemental resistance and will benefit from damage reductions in elemental attacks using the same equations as above. Conversely, numerous enemies have elemental weaknesses. They will take more damage from certain elemental attacks. The amount of extra damage is determined by the same equations as above as well.
Lastly, a few enemies are healed by elemental attacks. Examples include Fire Elementals being healed by fire attacks, Ice Elementals being healed by cold attacks. Enemies that are healed by an attack will have green sparkles appear above them during the attack animation. All enemies that are healed by elemental attacks seem to receive 100% of the attack as healing.
For detailed information on the resistance values of the individual enemies, see the corresponding entries in the Bestiary.
The in-game Combat Log also shows indicates damage type, damage reductions and increases damage. It can quickly show how much damage is being added, or reduced in a fight.