The Ark of Lothasan
|Exiled Kingdoms: Quests|
|Story ♦ Companion ♦ Guild ♦ Side ♦ Town Hall|
|Main Quest: The Ark of Lothasan|
|Tower of Tremadan|
|Upon completion: |
|The Shards of Fate|
Quest #: 68 - Completable
Tremadan will give you this quest after the Shards of Fate quest has been completed. When you enter the ark, none of your companions can join you and so you must face the terrible dangers within... alone. The difficulty of this quest is best summed up by the following:
- * * The Ark of Lothasan FAQ: * * *
Q: Am I ready to face the Ark of Lothasan?
The Ark of Lothasan quest is obtained from Ghostly Figure in the Tower of Tremadan, a few days after completing The Shards of Fate. The game will alert you that Tremadan's Ghostly Figure has discovered new information and you should go to the Tower of Tremadan as soon as possible.
This conversation with Ghostly Figure is your only chance to learn about your true heritage by passing an Intellect 4 check. Additionally, you can pass an Intellect 2 check to learn more about how to find the Ark, through Captain Dorse in Friguld.
Completing the Ark involves completing the main story arc in Exiled Kingdoms. The Ark is something that is literally out of this world and it is filled with enemies that will try to blast you out of this world.
While there is much in the ark for you to figure out, here are some tips to help you out:
1. Try to avoid letting the enemies surround you or box you into a corner. Since each enemy explodes soon after you kill them, you want to be able to retreat as soon as you land a killing blow. (Alternatively, you could try to land the killing blow with a ranged weapon.)
2. Venturing into the ark without a scroll of recall on you is a death wish. (It is highly unlikely that you will be able to complete the Ark all in one go, so having a means of escape is life-saving.
3. You will need to collect the four colored key cards (Blue, Red, Orange, Green). There are about 4 or so computer terminals that require entering these cards in the proper sequence (each require a small battery to power the terminal). If the correct card sequence is entered, a barrier is lowered. Once all of the barriers that require key card access have been lowered, the cards will be removed from your inventory. This is not a bug, it is designed to free up slots in your inventory.
4. Finding the four cards: The first two cards you will be able to find are blue and red. The third card you will be able to find is orange. The fourth card you will be able to find is green. The blue card is on the level of the ark that you first board. It is not behind a secret door or a barrier; it is readily accessible. But the blue card by itself is useless, you will also need the red card. The red key card is hidden behind a secret door. The secret door is at the start of the hallway on the west end of the area. The orange card is secured in a room behind a barrier that you need the blue and red card to access. The green card is secured in an area past barriers that you need the other three cards to access.
5. When you attach a battery to a key card access terminal, the terminal will show you up to four of the following words in a given sequence: Verification, Confirmation, Clearance, and Authentication. Each of these four words correspond to one of the four colors and thus you must enter the cards in the order indicated on the terminal. Red=Verification, Orange=Confirmation, Blue=Authentication, Green=Clearance. If you want to use mnemonics, then it's Red Velvet, Orange Crush, Blue Apron, and Green Clover. (R)ed (V)elvet to remember (R)ed=(V)erification, (OR)ange (C)rush to remember (Or)ange=(C)onfirmaton, (B)lue (A)pron to remember (B)lue=(A)uthentication, and (G)reen (Cl)over to remember (G)reen=(Cl)earance.
6. In the northeast corner of the main level is a machine that can convert 5 small batteries into 1 large battery. You need at least 2 large batteries for the main quest (there are other things you can do with large batteries, but you need to save at least 2 large batteries for the main quest).
7. Towards the northwest corner of the level is a barrier that can be unlocked with the access cards. Past that, you will find two staircases. Go up.
8. When you find the Oracle upstairs, use a large battery. Interact with the Oracle and listen to his plans then go downstairs 2 levels to the reactor level.
9. At the reactor level, use the password given to you by the Oracle. Find the reactor and do what the Oracle told you to do. Return to the Oracle...and find out how his plans worked out.
10. After completing the task for the Oracle and talking to the Oracle again, go back to the main level and look for the room that appears to have long rows of computer servers. In ome row, you will encounter a terminal that appears to be dim. If if's fed a battery, it will come to life. And if you can pass an Intellect 2 check, the terminal will spit out a data pad that you will need later on.
11. There is no turning back once you go up the elevator. The scroll of recall won't work, and going back down the elevator will not work. You either have to complete the quest... or die. Or restore to a previous saved game.
12. If you are going up the elevator just to explore (and plan to restore to an earlier saved game), you don't need to worry about whether you are fully prepared or not for next phase. But if you are going in all prepared, there's more that you will need beyond just having appropriate weapons, armors, potions, batteries, etc. for survival. Specifically, for challenges that you will face, you will want as many of the following conditions met as possible: (A and B) An INT score and PER score of at least 5 each (If your score is less than 5, but you have trait enhancing gear that raises your score to 5, you will need to wear it before a certain game encounter.) (C) An AWA score of 5 (either raw score or gear-enhanced.) On the upper deck, there is an important action you can take that you will only know about if you have strong awareness. That action will help you prepare for the final challenge. (D) You did NOT kill Valeran earlier in the game. (If you killed Valeran, oops! The game is still winnable, but his death will make things more difficult.) In addition to not killing Valeran, hopefully you acted in a way towards him where in hindsight he doesn't just think of you as pond scum. (E) You have that data pad that was spat out by the dim computer console. (F) You were informed earlier in the game about your *REAL* origins. (i.e. Something far more unexpected than having an archmage as a grandfather.) (Unfortunately, this last item may be something that you might not be able to get retroactively if you already passed certain points in the game. This is not a showstopper.) (There are multiple ways you can face the final challenge of the ark. If you meet very few of these prerequisites, you may only have the super hard option available to you. If you meet several of these prerequisites, you will have the normal option available to you. (Normal is still pretty hard but better than the super hard option.) And if you meet all of the prerequisites or very, very close, the ideal option opens up to you.
13. In the upper level, the main ark bridge room is protected by a password. All that you have to do to get into the room is to rely on the fact that someone wrote down the password. They didn't read the Secure Password Policy memo apparently. But the document where they wrote it down is in a hidden location. But once you find it, don't be in a rush. Once you enter the bridge room, you cannot leave. The story will unfold in certain ways from which there is no turning back. The barrier shuts behind you and Scroll of Recall still does not work. And so you can't go back and do anything left undone. And there are tasks worth doing on the upper deck first. (I.e. Find the item the Oracle told you to find. In addition to that item, there is one other unique tool that you can find. ( If you can find the use for that tool, you will be better prepared for the bridge.) And there also is one other quest in your journal other than the ark quest that you can optionally bring to a close
14. On the bridge, before interacting with any NPC's, make sure of the following: (a) Items that will help strengthen your case are in your possession. (Items in the bag of holding are not considered to be in your possession.) (b) If you need to equip certain gear to increase PER and/or INT, get them equipped. (c) Navigate your conversation choices carefully. If any conversation choices are associated with a trait check, such as Personality 5 or Intellect 5, those are the best options.
The following Trait checks are associated with this quest. Those marked with are mandatory for achieving certain outcomes or rewards which can not be accomplished otherwise.
|Trait Requirement||NPC / Object||Area||Description|
|Agility 7||Lady Calenda||Ark of Lothasan (Upper Deck)||Only when joining the Forsaken: Needed for dealing 200 initial damage to Lady Calenda, making the subsequent fight a bit easier.|
|Awareness 2||Console||Ark of Lothasan||Necessary for learning about the Oracle when searching the library console, thus gaining 2,500 + 1,000 XP.|
|Awareness 5||Console||Ark of Lothasan (Upper Deck)||Mandatory for opening the medical console and learning about life extension, thus gaining 8,000 XP. This is one piece of a puzzle toward a peaceful ending of the game.|
|Intellect 2||Console||Ark of Lothasan||Necessary for obtaining the Data Pad from the library console. This is one piece of a puzzle toward a peaceful ending of the game.|
|Intellect 2||Ghostly Figure||Tower of Tremadan||Needed for obtaining an optional hint on where to head next in the quest.|
|Intellect 3||Valeran||Dragon Coast||Provides a quicker dialogue option toward a peaceful outcome during your first encounter with Valeran. Note: Only available after passing a preceding Personality 3 check.|
|Intellect 3||Oracle||Ark of Lothasan (Upper Deck)||Necessary for teaching the Oracle the true nature of magic, thus gaining 1 additional Skill point.|
|Intellect 4||Console||Ark of Lothasan (Reactor)||Only when joining the Forsaken: Required to destroy the reactor without taking harm, thus gaining 2,000 XP. Otherwise you receive 350 Toxic damage and have to fight a Battle Droid. Note: Only available when having a Large Battery in your inventory.|
|Intellect 4||Console||Ark of Lothasan (Reactor)||Needed for obtaining the Force Belt from the vending machine. Alternative: Strength 4.|
|Intellect 5||Magister||Ark of Lothasan (Upper Deck)||Mandatory for being convincing during the final debate with the Forsaken Council. This is one piece of a puzzle toward a peaceful ending of the game. Alternative: Personality 5.|
|Intellect 5||Ghostly Figure||Tower of Tremadan||Mandatory for learning the truth about your ancestry, thus being able to join the Forsaken. Alternative: Personality 6 or learning the truth from The Undermother by killing Zuz'sare during The Prodigal Daughter.|
|Personality 3||Valeran||Dragon Coast||Required to achieve a peaceful outcome during your first encounter with Valeran. Otherwise you have to fight him and he will not assist you in the final battle. Alternative: Personality 5 (only when knowing the truth about your ancestry).|
|Personality 5||Valeran||Dragon Coast||When knowing the truth about your ancestry: Required to achieve a peaceful outcome during your first encounter with Valeran without having to join the Forsaken. Alternative: Personality 3.|
|Personality 5||Valeran||Dragon Coast||Provides a more obvious dialogue option toward a peaceful outcome during your first encounter with Valeran. Note: Only available after passing a preceding Personality 3 check.|
|Personality 5||Magister||Ark of Lothasan (Upper Deck)||Mandatory for being convincing during the final debate with the Forsaken Council. This is one piece of a puzzle toward a peaceful ending of the game. Alternative: Intellect 5.|
|Personality 6||Ghostly Figure||Tower of Tremadan||Mandatory for learning the truth about your ancestry, thus being able to join the Forsaken. Alternative: Intellect 5 or learning the truth from The Undermother by killing Zuz'sare during The Prodigal Daughter.|
|Strength 4||Console||Ark of Lothasan (Reactor)||Needed for obtaining the Force Belt from the vending machine. Alternative: Intellect 4.|
For completing The Ark of Lothasan:
If you use the Ark's medical facilities or if you travel in the elevator, the auto-save slot will be used. This is the same save-game slot that is used whenever you sleep at an inn. If you are going to use the medical facilities or travel in the elevator, it's a good idea to have a recent manual save game slot where the game was saved in a safe location that is NOT inside the Ark. That way you have a known game restore point outside of the ark that you can return to if you need to (of course, if you are playing Ironman mode in the Ark, you won't have this option and the enemies in the Ark will still be merciless).