Melee Tactic: potion of shielding or strength?

Atlas1095

I always play warriors (sword and shield - infantry training), so my character gets up close and personal to fight the baddies.

Most fights last only a short time (except for boss battles and fights with super strong monsters like giants and dragons), usually the length of time for one non-healing potion to be used and wear off. If the fight keeps going, I'm usually drinking healing potions every 3 seconds!

A question that I have not resolved is whether it is more effective to start the fight with a potion of shielding or a potion of strength?

My sense is that at lower levels with inferior equipment, my warrior needs more armor protection; but at higher levels with better equipment, the added killing effect of a potion of strength outweighs some additional armor protection.

How do other players decide which melee potions to use?

Very interested in reading your comments and suggestions!

VDX_360

Staff member
In general, the game favors offense, but it depends on the exact fight.

Obviously, against some enemies, having a potion of STR will be very useful in doing damage , esp. against high defense opponents.

Using a shielding potion can buy you enough time to let your cooldown for spells / and items expire.

A popular tactic is to have either the Main Character or a Companion use a STR potion, and the other use a Shield Potion. That can work well if one is going to take the blunt of the attack while the other does damage. (Gris as Chew toy, Main Character flanking).