Rogue Archer..? Worth it?

benleen87

I'm fairly new to the game but have a rogue, cleric, and warrior lvl 10. Just wanted to play w an archer but wasn't sure of the skills/ stats he should use, and if he is viable late game? Thanks a lot, and already love the community!

VDX_360

Staff member
Yes... and No...

First, if YOU enjoy playing with a Rouge Archer, than it's worth it.
Second, I have a high level Rouge Archer that has completed all the available content some parts are harder as a Rouge Archer than as a Rouge Melee Expert.
Third, even as an Route Archer, you'll need to swap to a melee weapon so investing in melee skills might be required.

Rouge Melee Experts (stab, assassinate, evasion etc) seem to fair better in the game than Rouge Archers, but as noted above, a Rouge Archer can complete the game and become a death dealing nightmare.

The Wiki gives a good outline of the skills. Rouge Archers get all the Archer skills, than from there, it's a lot of personal choice.

So, it really comes back yo the first point: Do you enjoy playing as a Rouge Archer?

terryberry

Loreseeker
benleen87":3uf2yo1g said:
I'm fairly new to the game but have a rogue, cleric, and warrior lvl 10. Just wanted to play w an archer but wasn't sure of the skills/ stats he should use, and if he is viable late game? Thanks a lot, and already love the community!

I wouldn't say as efficient as the other builds / classes, but definitely viable(A lot better than caster clerics, at least). The playstyle may be different, but Imperial trollhunter bow and Jester bow are amazing weapons that melee classes can only dream of - which makes up for the lacking damage offset and melee range fumbling issue.
One thing to note, though, is that while very very very very very grind-filled(and probably meaningless, 1m exp per level isnt a joke) , the archer rogue scales best with level, as basic attacks scale on level.

That being said, should you play an archer, go for agi and awa, a good ratio is to keep agi somewhat near to double of awa, to keep damage and armor ratios at peak. place stat points into int and per as needed, for dialogue options. you dont need end or str, as... it's not exactly the best idea to keep getting hit in melee range due to fumbling. As for skills, archery, evasion, sprint, trap, flurry(the ranged version), and precision shots as needed, along with trap advanced skills to better accomodate your traps. If you choose the slower but more solid damage per hit build(composite, misthunter bow), precision shots is a decent investment, but if you go for a rapid shot stun & base damage build (imperial, jester) build, you dont really need it, as the weapons have poor crit rate.

Xen

Loreseeker
What can I say about Rogue Archers in the current version is very good at handling regular enemies but hard for boss enemies than the other classes. Before, Rogue Archer is best to play because you can snipe if you know where to put your tactics on. But for now it is hard because in a boss battle, the boss enemy is always chasing you even if you move to the back of your companion and I wont recommend Archer for solo play because easy death is guaranteed.

Skythalos

Translator
Well, my favourite character is currently a lvl 22 rogue archer.
I first played a warrior and stopped at level 13, then i switched to rogue and decided to go archer and it actually went really well for me. But i must say its a rather expensive playstyle because i really went all in to even buy my first bow at lannegar as my first piece of equipment not dropped, using traps, evasion(this is a huge resource) and invisibility(just because i knew where the quests were and just ran of most of the mobs on the most deadly parts).

My hints are to buy your way to the every bow that can gives you better damage, and go for an early jester bow as soon as you can survive the place without getting into too much fights, and to use the wiki for every other bow useful, like composite or imperial trollhunter. And at first its way better to level up to the best of your abilities in quests and just get the gold.
I focused agi, int and awareness with a little endurance because it means a lot if you can pack a little more damage. Always search better equipment that you can drop in the area or quests and when you feel you start having a little gold use it to buy advanced skills for archers. Also extra recovery but to me i just maxed it up at lvl 19 because i started grinding for the Undermother.
Then now the healing potions are your best friends, thats unavoidable to pretty much everything higher level, that means why being rogue archer is really expensive. Learn how to literally block the bosses with your companion, like pretty much making then run into your companion, after 2-3 hits or they will circle it to hit you or attack your companion. And tactics, because its easier to kill the Lich if you are with good resist from death, and every other boss until you complete everything. And for the last, after you reach higher levels you might feel the need to restart your traits or skills to better use your weapons.

I kinda roleplayed everything, even traded slaves to get the best velites equipments at early levels, and siding with the golden hand for better profits. Then i met Hirge and kinda went a little soft. But after some time i killed the Normal Undermother at level 21 (I tried kinda 10-17 times, all this before i had given up doing it at lv 19), because i always pictured a greedy character after all.
Still being an expensive build, when Friguld was launched i tried one side of the quest, then restarted to do the other, since i didnt needed a melee weapon. And the feel of robbing a bank was actually awesome for a greedy character to pass up, and being a kinda corrupt bank being stolen was all the more satisfying. At lvl 21 i cut through it quite easily just not allowing too much mobs to attack at the same time only having to apply better tactics on the last boss of the place. At the end of the day i still gotta get my pay. :D

Slick24

Being chased by "boss" or mob of enemies is actually the best advantage for archer to deal heavy damage.

I have my lvl. 9 archer with Trap Master III + Explosive, Kick I, Archery I, and I get no problem wiping them out. I recommend to you to rush your trap skill and get that explosive skill. Its boring to grind at first but if you happen to learn this skill it's worth it.

I can kill Centurion deserter lvl. 14 at Nekhar Valley with this at lvl 8. with help of my tanky companion Grissenda of'course.

terryberry

Loreseeker
Yan Jon":t4otk1jx said:
Personally, I find that having Aedon shoot, while you tank works really well.
This is very true, but mostly because the only "player only" advantage an archer rogue has is the precision shots and ranged flurry. The latter does a lot, but is only active for a small amount of time, and the earlier has close to no effect with a few popular weapons, the jester and the imperial trollhunter.
Similar to how Heal and AM based, non-warriors guild based clerics are quite closely played by... hirge.
Archers, just like many cleric builds, are outclassed by tank PC + archer (cleric) companion.

benleen87

Thanks a lot guys, this is all really good. I'm lvl 16 as of now and still grinding(slowly doing Mercian crypt). Any gear recommendations for me? I have jester bow

Iury

Translator
For mercian crypt I would recommend to you the Mist's hunter bow and as companion Hirge with either ghostbane or iron golem arm